Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

after making my 3rd bridge in May.  I stopped playing. I log in once every 2 weeks to check on my animals. enchant a grass tile while on. walk over my off deed bridge to help prevent too much dmg.

I 've been spending my time testing out a ton of new steam games. and some xbox one games.  got 2 week holidays where I need to change sleep habits as i'll be managing the over night crew after holidays.  

so during this time. I build a computer desk with a nice fan system for the 2 computers. 

I custom built an entertainment center over the rolling out computer desk. no more digging to get to the cables.  wife happier now as it's smaller.  took me 2 hrs just to rehookup all the wires.

then with al the lumber left over I thought my son doesn't have much room in his room to play his xbox and leave mine alone. so I built a custom bunk bed. put his bed about 2 feet from ceiling. and made a desk, shelving area under his bed. plus fits 2 bean bag chairs . now he has a ton of room to play.

all that done first 5 days of my holidays.   since then.  Xbox . diablo 3, battlefield, elders scrolls online (not so good bored after 2 days)

steam games testing out , the repopulation.  neat. reminds me of starwars Galaxies.   really loving ARK  a dino survival game. where you can tame them and ride them. if you don't die every bloody time trying as I do ... lol  today showed my son the game. we saw 5 stagasaurses attacking a t-rex.   I got to close. he ate me ;-(  (love it as you can play solo. or with friends custom servers. or on the main servers chose pvp or pve.  ton of fun.

one annoying game I got addicted to because of a tv show I pvr week days.  is click heroes.  . so dumb but it's fun and not at the same time. I let it run in the background.

also playing some old everquest a bit too off and on.

I'm sure soon after my holidays when my gaming time is limited again. i'll be back to wurm . easy to get a few tasks done per day in a 1-3 hr play time, vs other games where time flies by to quickly.

I think a lot of use take the break as one ya summer time other things to do. but also getting bored with the same routines .I love how big xanadu is. but with the other half of the players all on other servers, just seems lonely often and not as much point in working on cool deed designs knowing very few will ever see your deed. 

when I come back I think i'll just work on skilling up . as many skills I can. so when i'm ready to go hard core as I use to play 30-40 hrs a week.  maybe sell my deed. pack up and find a nice huge community deed or area to live nearer to.  so I can see folks in my local once again.  I thought moving to a NW island would have more traffic. but seems once per 5-7 days I see a boat sail by.

wow I typed and rambled a lot.  12am here been up 13 hrs. and need to stay awake for 12 more. fighting the huge to take a nap.  god i'm old.

• Like 3

Bah. Not any more quitters than normal. Most of the characters being sold are not from quitting players, but just unloading some alts. I sold off about 16 alts over the last 18 months and 10 of then in last 6. Just trying to simplify wurm life.

• Like 2

then with al the lumber left over I thought my son doesn't have much room in his room to play his xbox and leave mine alone. so I built a custom bunk bed. put his bed about 2 feet from ceiling. and made a desk, shelving area under his bed. plus fits 2 bean bag chairs . now he has a ton of room to play.

Please name one.  I've tried pretty much all the so-called "Sandbox" Wurm competitors, and haven't been impressed.

The big difference that sets Wurm apart is the ability to shape the land and terraform.  To create a lasting mark on a persistent world.  To really have something you can call your own.  In fact it's pretty sad that here we are in 2015 and terraforming and/or destroyable scenery is still SO painfully rare in video gaming when it should be the norm imo.

Last time I played Rust, I spent 20 hours building a fortress only to have the server reset for no reason.  Yeah screw that, no thanks!

Edited by mrtaccgnol

Not one of those is like WURM. Not one. Try again.

no true wurmian would consider the state of his wurm

ark, rust, life is feudal, medieval engineers, hell, even minecraft these days could be made into something like wurm with some mods. You'll never find an exact copy of your dream wurm, primarily because all video games are different, but mostly because there isn't one right way to do a video game, and it seems to be the trend that games which aren't so similar to wurm at all are being enjoyed more so than wurm. I urge you to analyze whether you are defending the practices of wurm solely due to a horrific case of the sunk cost fallacy

I'm 38 years old, thank you much.  I don't need you to tell me to analyze why I play Wurm, I think I can handle that on my own.  I've sunk far more money into far worst games.  I don't even have alts or maintain a large deed anyway.  I spend more on bubble gum every month than Wurm...

Wurm has an appeal that those other games can't touch.  And yes, that's my subjective opinion.  I'm the one playing it, aren't I?

I'm 38 years old, thank you much.  I don't need you to tell me to analyze why I play Wurm, I think I can handle that on my own.  I've sunk far more money into far worst games.  I don't even have alts or maintain a large deed anyway.  I spend more on bubble gum every month than Wurm...

Wurm has an appeal that those other games can't touch.  And yes, that's my subjective opinion.  I'm the one playing it, aren't I?

So basically it's good for games to hedge their bets on pleasing whales an no one else? the context of this discussion is the decreasing playercount, if you forgot to read the thread title.

Edited by mrtaccgnol

Well Drama for one doesn't help, before long new players will not stay long in this game when they are ingame harassed or told to leave the game and get a real social life. Sad what wurm become overall. It's not what it was a few years back.

So basically it's good for games to hedge their bets on pleasing whales an no one else? the context of this discussion is the decreasing playercount, if you forgot to read the thread title.

As I understand it and read about it that's what the Gaming Conventions advocate... cater to the Whales for MMO success. I remember reading here that Rolf goes to at least one or more every year. He's heard it, I am sure of it. If You watch the other MMOs overall that is their new mojo. Whales are cool.

I don't agree with that line of thinking myself, I'm not qualified to be a Whale, but there you have it. Don't be surprised to see it through the haze of game policies and rules, new content, etc. The trend is obvious throughout the genre. Yes it's here too.

Every true blooded Capitalist on planet Earth will tell you that you always take care of the highest paying customers best and first. That's what catering to the Whales is. (I think this idea is terrible for online gaming like MMOs and Wurm but I don't own a MMO to try out a different way of doing business to prove there's a better way.)

I'm not slamming Rolf with this post, I accept how he does things, is just my lament that the genre isn't operated in a different way.

Edited by geode

As I understand it and read about it that's what the Gaming Conventions advocate... cater to the Whales for MMO success. I remember reading here that Rolf goes to at least one or more every year. He's heard it, I am sure of it. If You watch the other MMOs overall that is their new mojo. Whales are cool.

I don't agree with that line of thinking myself, I'm not qualified to be a Whale, but there you have it. Don't be surprised to see it through the haze of game policies and rules, new content, etc. The trend is obvious throughout the genre. Yes it's here too.

Every true blooded Capitalist on planet Earth will tell you that you always take care of the highest paying customers best and first. That's what catering to the Whales is. (I think this idea is terrible for online gaming like MMOs and Wurm but I don't own a MMO to try out a different way of doing business to prove there's a better way.)

I'm not slamming Rolf with this post, I accept how he does things, is just my lament that the genre isn't operated in a different way.

This is the case in every F2P MMOs at any rate. Without a subscription model, sometimes with one if you follow EA :rolleyes:, that's the income for the game.

But the whales here get harpooned often enough.  :lol:  Sometimes whale blubber must be better for this business.

Some people don't play WURM the game at all. They play WURM the forums because they found it more interesting than WURM the game.  :)

• Like 1

I haven't played for over ~ two months now due to these eye-shattering graphical issues like z-fighting. Exploring is one thing I really loved about wurm online and this issue makes the game look horrendous. This is on the highest settings, while I enjoyed wurm 3 years ago on low settings just because this issue was not there.

I'm resubbing as soon as they fix it. Kinda putting my hope in java 8. If that doesn't fix it I'm certain the devs never will lol

My "has not logged in for 120 days" list is rather large lately. Most of them paid bimonthly. That's just dev time no longer financed. Something happened and they just never returned. Only one of them came here to complain about it and he got the rail. 

It's because of Xanadu. The map is too big and has spread everyone out. Most players live like hermits and don't interact with neighbors. More importantly player trading has nearly come to a stop since it takes a full day to deliver goods and return home.

Quite possible. If the lag don't get you, the travel times will. I closed up over there and went back to my original server. At the time, I had a priest on a deed where the domain came and went like the wind that didn't fill the sails.

It's because of Xanadu. The map is too big and has spread everyone out. Most players live like hermits and don't interact with neighbors. More importantly player trading has nearly come to a stop since it takes a full day to deliver goods and return home.

I disagree, we have just had a lot of sales lately, as I said before our area is getting more lively and I know of other areas that have a lot of people in their area. Yes, Xanadu is big and it does take time to travel. All smart wurmians play other games while traveling.

It still amazes me how people complain about xanadu travel times, It's a BIG server, you knew that when you moved here, even living on inde and still doing so, I knew I needed to cater for back and forth travel.

I haven't found lag to much of an issue anymore and domains have been fine for some time.

Edited by Milosanx

A Tale in the Desert VI, Horizons: Empires of Istaria, Roma Victor (Defunct), Xyson.

What do I win?

I'm fairly sure Wurm is actually a spiritual sucessor to A Tale in the Desert, the playstyles are almost identical - with Wurm's main advantage being it's terraforming and house building. The other three games have/had similar skill systems, similarly outdated combat systems, and equally awful travel time. None of them are/were better, or worse. Each of them caters/catered to a very slightly different niche than Wurm does.

I would go so far as to say that Wurm would grow a lot if it's development team took the time to understand each of those four games core mechanics, and to discover why people played (still play) them.

Except for Xyson... that game is just... broken.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

A Tale in the Desert VI, Horizons: Empires of Istaria, Roma Victor (Defunct), Xyson.

What do I win?

I'm fairly sure Wurm is actually a spiritual sucessor to A Tale in the Desert, the playstyles are almost identicle - with Wurm's main advantage being it's terraforming and house building. The other three games have/had similar skill systems, similarly outdated combat systems, and equally awful travel time. None of them are/were better, or worse. Each of them caters/catered to a very slightly different niche than Wurm does.

I would go so far as to say that Wurm would grow a lot if it's development team took the time to understand each of those four games, and to discover why people played (still play) them.

While the Wurm team could learn a lot from other games, I don't see how those 4 games are "like" Wurm. Having similar attributes to a game does not mean those games are like Wurm; however, this is subject to individual interpretation.

In my opinion, those games are very different from Wurm while having some similar aspects to Wurm. Essentially, if you take the "whole picture" as to what Wurm is and try to place it in those other games, they are completely different games.

• Like 2

While the Wurm team could learn a lot from other games, I don't see how those 4 games are "like" Wurm. Having similar attributes to a game does not mean those games are like Wurm; however, this is subject to individual interpretation.

In my opinion, those games are very different from Wurm while having some similar aspects to Wurm. Essentially, if you take the "whole picture" as to what Wurm is and try to place it in those other games, they are completely different games.

While not exact, they are like Wurm, with similarities and mechanics that would be instantly recognizable by anybody who'd migrate from game to game.

Keep in mind. Battlefield is like Call of Duty, despite being obviously different games.

At this point, you're arguing semantics, and frankly, incorrectly so. A Tale in the Desert is perhaps Wurm's closest relative, with PvE gameplay that mimics Wurm's quite closely.

It's an older relative at that, and I'd wager it had some influence in Wurm's creation.

Edited by Dairuka

While not exact, they are like Wurm, with similarities and mechanics that would be instantly recognizable by anybody who'd migrate from game to game.

Keep in mind. Battlefield is like Call of Duty, despite being obviously different games.

At this point, you're argument semantics, and frankly, incorrectly so. A Tale in the Desert is perhaps Wurm's closest relative.

That's why I said "subject to individual interpretation" in my first reply. Everyone's experience in what they deem to be "like" Wurm is going to be different.

That's why I said "subject to individual interpretation" in my first reply. Everyone's experience in what they deem to be "like" Wurm is going to be different.

Since the onus is on me to prove it. I'll begin by using the best example. A tale in the desert.

It's an open world sandbox game with no direction. It contains tradeskill trees requiring repetitive grinding to skill up. Every item is created out of an amalgamation of parts that must be built from absolute scratch. You can claim land, you can build houses on that land. You also have access to limited terraforming to shape the landscape around you. This description could be used to accurately describe Wurm. Right?

I would go so far as to say it's identical to Wurm's PvE, were it not for a few differences.

Wurm has combat. It's mining system is actually more complex and fluent. It's terraforming is better, and it's housing and deeding systems allow for a lot more creativity. Of everything though, the real biggest difference is the "Real Money Trading" and "Free to Play/Item Shop" aspects of Wurm which influences a player's goals significantly.

A Tale in the Desert also has some things it does different and better. It's social law system is extremely involving and requires a lot of political jockeying. Despite having tradeskills, it also has a 'leveling' system similar to other MMO's of it's era (2001 - 2004) which also requires you to complete quests known as 'tests' to be able to ascend and continue your grind, this aspect was done very well and encouraged you to branch out to different skills to fulfill these tests - or to get help from your neighbors who had different skill sets than you. Most importantly? The world mission systems required players to gather together materials to create great wonders for everyone to enjoy. The art team really had fun with that too.

Honestly? One of the reasons I joined and stayed with Wurm, was because of it's similarities to ATITD.

So you know what? You're right. ATITD isn't like Wurm.

Wurm is like ATITD.

Edited by Dairuka

Since the onus is on me to prove it. I'll begin by using the best example. A tale in the desert.

It's an open world sandbox game with no direction. It contains tradeskill trees requiring repetitive grinding to skill up. Every item is created out of an amalgamation of parts that must be built from absolute scratch. You can claim land, you can build houses on that land. You also have access to limited terraforming to shape the landscape around you. This description could be used to accurately describe Wurm. Right?

I would go so far as to say it's identical to Wurm's PvE, were it not for a few differences.

Wurm has combat. It's mining system is actually more complex and fluent. It's terraforming is better, and it's housing and deeding systems allow for a lot more creativity. Of everything though, the real biggest difference is the "Real Money Trading" and "Free to Play/Item Shop" aspects of Wurm.

A Tale in the Desert also has some things it does different and better. It's social law system is extremely involving and requires a lot of political jockeying. Despite having tradeskills, it also has a 'leveling' system similar to other MMO's of it's era (2001 - 2004) which also requires you to complete quests known as 'tests' to be able to ascend and continue your grind, this aspect was done very well and encouraged you to branch out to different skills to fulfill these tests - or to get help from your neighbors who had different skill sets than you. Most importantly? The world mission systems required players to gather together materials to create great wonders for everyone to enjoy. The art team really had fun with that too.

Honestly? One of the reasons I joined and stayed with Wurm, was because of it's similarities to ATITD.

So you know what? You're right. ATITD isn't like Wurm.

Wurm is like ATITD.

I wasn't asking you to prove it and I wasn't fully disagreeing with you. All I was saying is it's going to be based on people's ideas on what is like Wurm. You can't deny that we're 2 different people (and if we are the same person then we should be worrying beyond a forum thread :blink: ).

You're right in that, in your experience, they are similar games and it's great that you found such similarities to draw you to Wurm. Someone else might feel different though. That's all I'm saying.