Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

Everyone has gotten too spread out imo, years ago I knew most people with a population not so much smaller than we have currently all on one server, I knew who to /rude when passed through local and who to stop and visit etc., I knew where 80% of the deeds on the server were without needing a map, it was a good time to play Wurm.

Fast forward 4 or 5 years later, we have 7 pve servers, all opened to grab players and give people a chance at "pristine" land, hell, even a server was named after the thought, we tried a new server with no old skills, Challenge, I can only guess its Chaos ultra lite, since Epic is Chaos lite, and in the end every single server ends up with the perception and reality of every new player thinks there is no available land.

The lack of a timely way to visit people on far away server causes you to slowly lose connections and retain the sense of community that a game of this style needs to foster to keep it a worthwhile playing experience. With the sheer amount of clicking and watching timers people you meet and talk with really make the game, its all the chatter, be it drama or otherwise is a big driver to retention for the game ( at least in my thinking ), as that aspect of the game dissolves you really see Wurm for what it is, a slow speed survival / terraforming game with a very long skill grind.

• Like 1

I still can't believe I'm paying for this game even after so many years with all it's bugs.

Curiously in our alliance it seems to happen ppl come to play again, while other alliances complain about quiet times. Perhaps I have accidentally found myself in an alliance of Vampires because playing activity increases dramatically while its sunny outside.

See. All your freedomers, this is why you play on a pvp server. If someone griefs you, you simply bash their deed in and take all their ######. And kill them in the process

I will not kill other Player's characters (or use KOS) nor steal in any game. I won't even salvage most of the time. I have no business on a PvP server, except to be bait or a free affinity opportunity, and I also wonder if there might not be more Players on Freedom that play as I do but are reluctant to admit on these forums because of the reception their post would receive. Perhaps it's better they don't admit it as I do.

As a Player I am exactly where I should be: a non-PvP server.

As for thread topic, recently I discovered I have a new village full of new Players (it appears) that started a deed near me, so I see this summer as just as busy as usual, perhaps more.

Edited by geode

Just because people complain about something, it doesn't mean they don't think of it as a game. It means that they care about the game and what happens to it. It means they don't want to stop playing due to what they deem as a "negative" change.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that people who are complaining are negative in general. It means we want to see the game steer in a positive direction. Lately, it hasn't felt that positive, at least to me.

Sometimes a player that's been playing a game for a while still likes the game. But he/she is feeling burned out, or unhappy with certain aspects of the game.  Or he/she starts thinking the time they've invested in the game grants them a certain sense of ownership of the game itself.  This leads to a sense of entitlement, or a belief he/she is "owed" something by the creators of the game.  Or that he/she's voice should be listened to above all others.

So what does he/she do when this happens?

Start posting on the forums in a very negative way about the game.  Like...a LOT. 

• Like 1

I had a boss once. He never had anything good to say. Ever. I asked him one day, "Would it kill you to say 'Nice work' once in a while?" He said, "I do. Every Friday when I hand you your paycheck, I am telling you nice work." Maybe that was a wrong attitude for a teenager to pick up from their first boss, but it stuck. Right or wrong way of thinking, but... I'm handing out the paycheck every Friday.

• Like 2

Then there's the players who, while not having contributed to the other players' funds or gameplay, have this sense of entitlement where they go around calling other players out on their complaints and demanding that they stop complaining over the lacking quality of something they've been investing actual money into.

• Like 1

I had a boss once. He never had anything good to say. Ever. I asked him one day, "Would it kill you to say 'Nice work' once in a while?" He said, "I do. Every Friday when I hand you your paycheck, I am telling you nice work." Maybe that was a wrong attitude for a teenager to pick up from their first boss, but it stuck. Right or wrong way of thinking, but... I'm handing out the paycheck every Friday.

When there's only one gorcer within 100 miles it's kinda hard to not pay him for whatever he stocks his shelves with.  ;)

So yeah, you are totally correct Audrel.  :)

Lately, it hasn't felt that positive, at least to me.

Stop reading the forums and you will like the game a lot more  ;)  

The tutorial should come with a  warning against the forums - you really need to have established a profound love for the game to start reading them. New players should only be studying the wiki imo. I remember when I started in 2013, I thought the forums would bring me lots of insights and encouragements. I quickly found out that the wiki is where you want to be. Sadly the forums are instead mainly a platform for a group of less than happy players, and very few of those that really enjoy the game contribute here.

• Like 5

Stop reading the forums and you will like the game a lot more  ;)  

The tutorial should come with a  warning against the forums - you really need to have established a profound love for the game to start reading them. New players should only be studying the wiki imo. I remember when I started in 2013, I thought the forums would bring me lots of insights and encouragements. I quickly found out that the wiki is where you want to be. Sadly the forums are instead mainly a platform for a group of less than happy players, and very few of those that really enjoy the game contribute here.

You mean Nahjo, Nathan, and Tosiek only exist on the forums and not the game? Wow, I didn't realise what I've been missing in the game!

oh wait....

Oh, so the bugs that ruin the gameplay experience only exist on the forums as well? Seems unlikely.

Well right now.. I have been waiting 2 hours already for a GM respond... im still stuck and no responce  

That can make me quit a game since im paying for zero service it seems...

people are quitting because wurm is terrible combined with multiple wurms to choose from on the front page of steam which are of higher quality and less overall cost than name brand wurm

Please name one.  I've tried pretty much all the so-called "Sandbox" Wurm competitors, and haven't been impressed.

The big difference that sets Wurm apart is the ability to shape the land and terraform.  To create a lasting mark on a persistent world.  To really have something you can call your own.  In fact it's pretty sad that here we are in 2015 and terraforming and/or destroyable scenery is still SO painfully rare in video gaming when it should be the norm imo.

Last time I played Rust, I spent 20 hours building a fortress only to have the server reset for no reason.  Yeah screw that, no thanks!

• Like 1

people are quitting because wurm is terrible combined with multiple wurms to choose from on the front page of steam which are of higher quality and less overall cost than name brand wurm

there are no games like wurm on steam, If anything Life is feudal, is perhaps a little way there. As for cost, One character and a deed costs less than most mmo's. If you decide to expand and make more characters and deeds that's you prerogative and your cost. If someone says "but I want a priest aswell" Join a village where you can exchange casts for crafting and building" or.....pay for a second account.

I know in gaming everyone wants it all given to them, but In life if you want a second house and cant afford it, you don't get it.

You mean Nahjo, Nathan, and Tosiek only exist on the forums and not the game? Wow, I didn't realise what I've been missing in the game!

oh wait....

You make this out that these are a bad thing, But I love my Nahjo already. It changes up the game a bit.

Then there's the players who, while not having contributed to the other players' funds or gameplay, have this sense of entitlement where they go around calling other players out on their complaints and demanding that they stop complaining over the lacking quality of something they've been investing actual money into.

Yes there are player out there like this and I am amazed that Rolf lets people not contribute at all to payment. I Also dislike sales of characters, but that's just me. If people want to sell, power to them. There are also players that complain that don't contribute but still have an opinion. 

Myself, I make a point of paying at least 2 characters a month and any other characters I pay with in game silver. Atm I have 5 prems running for sermons and actually 3 have been premmed. I believe in supporting the developer.

Well right now.. I have been waiting 2 hours already for a GM respond... im still stuck and no responce  

That can make me quit a game since im paying for zero service it seems...

How often have you needed a GM and how long has the wait time been for those times.

Every time I have ticketed for a GM  they have been pretty quick, things have been sorted and I've been happy. I know that's not the case for everyone.

In my time in wurm I think I've ticket for a GM maybe 4 times? Considering the time I've invested in wurm, it's not a biggie. Even If it would have been an hour each, which by no means has it been, there would be people that would complain about it. Perspective is what im talking about.

too many changes that are not needed

also for money i pay here i can buy every month many new games from steam and enjoy them lifetime "premium"

Edited by Sila

Just FYI every study into psychology and management relevant to this that I've seen confirms that yes, that's bad management. Best practice is to "catch" your staff in the act of doing something well and praise them for it. Obviously lots of other stuff helps like ensuring they have personal growth opportunities etc but on this topic (to praise or not to praise) that's the key.

• Like 1

Myself, I make a point of paying at least 2 characters a month and any other characters I pay with in game silver. Atm I have 5 prems running for sermons and actually 3 have been premmed. I believe in supporting the developer.

1. I want a flat monthly fee of $14.95 which includes 4 premium toons. 

2. I want 1 free templar per premium villager automatically and then more based on the existing options.

I want no deed decay of anything as long as the deed is paid up past 30 days. (As someone aptly reminded me - Wurm months are 28 days).

That's what I want.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 4

1. I want a flat monthly fee of $14.95 which includes 4 premium toons. 

2. I want 1 free templar per premium villager automatically and then more based on the existing options.

I want no deed decay of anything as long as the deed is paid up past 30 days.

That's what I want.

1 good

2 maybe on pvp but on pve it's a bit much

3 no deed decay regardless of days left in upkeep. btw, your upkeep is good for 28 days. that's a WURM month. that's also an upkeep month. where does this 30 days come from?

1 good

2 maybe on pvp but on pve it's a bit much

3 no deed decay regardless of days left in upkeep. btw, your upkeep is good for 28 days. that's a WURM month. that's also an upkeep month. where does this 30 days come from?

30 day month comes from the standard and excepted "averaged" month of the Gregorian Calendar system, the calendar used for business around the world now. 28 day Months are from one of the old Lunar Calendar systems. I have always found it curious Rolf does not use 30 day calendar months. Maybe this is a Swedish cultural practice.

I agree with Eyesgood mostly (great idea Eyesgood), except I would wish the option to "send away" (turn off) the Templar provided with deed maintenance.

Edited by geode

There are three things that could change and make me much happier about playing:

1: Stop the monthly loss of items in FSB and BSB containers. If the database is truly the problem, either decrease the number of items they can hold or change how your database stores them so it doesn't become overloaded. I'm tired of seeing my hard work evaporate every month.

2: Stabilize the decay rate of items in the world. Randomly damaging items so a player has to check everything constantly is time consuming. And, why do unlit lanterns in inventory decay when nothing else does?

3: Give us the option to not have a perimeter. I have two deeds that are separated by 10 spaces that I don't actually own and can do nothing with. I would gladly expand my deeds so they touch, given the option.

• Like 2

Bah. Not any more quitters than normal. Most of the characters being sold are not from quitting players, but just unloading some alts. I sold off about 16 alts over the last 18 months and 10 of then in last 6. Just trying to simplify wurm life.