Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

`Yearly' Graph (1 Day Average)

paying-year.png

Max Average Current

Returning: 6252 players 5214 players 5202 players

Total: 6254 players 5217 players 5205 players

I really don't care if people are leaving or not but I have to ask if you people actually look at the graphs and read the numbers or do you just copy and paste the link and type something whether it is related or not depending upon your need to derail, debunk, and use the words "whine," "cry," or "tears?" I wasn't a valedictorian or anything but... yeah. 

• Like 1

Graphs are great and all.  But since prem chars never get deleted how do you know anything other than how many new accounts are being created?

I have been seriously thinking of quitting recently.  Mainly for these reasons

1) No real PVE, cant we have a spawn area that increases in difficulty the more (faster) you kill the monsters; like normal, raging , champ....  something to challenge a small group of players, anytime any hour of the day/night.  Also have these monsters drop something instead of meat.

2) Greifing without consequences really is upsetting me.  Something seriously needs to be done to stop it.

Edited by thirtynine
  • Like 6

I'm out for now over a few reasons;

1)GMs refusing to do anything about thieves on PVE

2)GMs getting involved when people take the only option left and retaliate against the thief.(Naming them in chat when they try to sell stolen goods/directly greifing them back, griefing that would not take place if GMs actually did something)

3)It's summer.

4)Wurm is a game that requires breaks. If you don't take breaks, you either are, or soon will be, completely insane.

5)Got sucked back into another game.

I do believe that is them being logged in, not being created. That would be an interesting graph!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I believe it is the characters currently making premium subsciption payments. So people who left the game and no longer paying, get dropped.

Otherwise the chart would always go up up up  and never go down, if it was just new characters created.

And does not include any F2P new players or alts just people who said "I want to go premium".

reasons: chart is named  "Wurm Online premium player count graph" and link is called "paying.html"

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

I guess the number one reason the game has become more unappealing to me was first the VAT tax hike that sent premium time through the roof. When Rolf went on the forums and said there was nothing that could be about the tax hike he was mistaken. If it truly was just to pay for a tax then offsetting silver purchase amounts, increasing deed time covered to every 2-3 months instead of 1 for the same price, or just flat out give us more premium time for what we pay for. That would have made me think it truly was out of his control, but he left it as one of those not my fault and lets keep doing the same thing.

Second is when some game mechanic is deemed all of a sudden breaking the rules and dozens are punished for not being able to read the Dev's brains is down right retarded in every form possible. You don't outline game mechanics until something goes wrong.

Third, Dev's should not play on PVP SERVERS!!!. I hate pvp in the game but that pisses me off when an important person on the team gets butt hurt and all of a sudden the game is drastically changed or you get the creator himself logging in to appease his staff. Good god why would you even try if the developer cheats his own system. You get a GM that has a stick up his butt and anyone that says anything about it gets a temp ban for trying to call him out for being retarded. Rolf spank your children and send them to bed with no supper rather than give in.

Oh and my last little piece, REVERT the enchanted grass nerf MOFOS!!!!

The devil has left the building....

Edited by JudusX
  • Like 2

I love the Swedish summer. Its the best day of the year.

• Like 3

WoW is such a bad example to base things off and even now now it doesn't have to work as hard as other games to keep people. People are so invested in that game that all they have to do is give a wiff of an xpac and the droves keep coming back for a taste. Same thing happens after every expac WOW puts out. Even now, Blizz has announced there will be no updates for this cycles from the last announcement. So people will accept it like they did the last xpac and wait 14 months no update. 

We need to remember that they also gained 3 mil after draenoe came out. It does this and people go back. Blizz knows this and is so arrogant to these facts. I hope one day the minions of WoW will wake up and realise that this is unexceptable and leave.

Using wow is a bad example to use every time.

Edited by Milosanx

`Yearly' Graph (1 Day Average)

paying-year.png

Max Average Current

Returning: 6252 players 5214 players 5202 players

Total: 6254 players 5217 players 5205 players

I really don't care if people are leaving or not but I have to ask if you people actually look at the graphs and read the numbers or do you just copy and paste the link and type something whether it is related or not depending upon your need to derail, debunk, and use the words "whine," "cry," or "tears?" I wasn't a valedictorian or anything but... yeah. 

What I see in this graph is that we have exactly the same number of players as one year ago, with under 1% variation.

Here is an interesting chart (part of bdew's thread here) that only covers to last fall but shows longer term trends, spikes, etc

Hopefully BDew will be doing another updated version at least once a year. 

Overall, no real improvement since the price hike of two years ago "but it could be worse", we are still ahead of where we were BEFORE the opening of Xanadu even if not as good as before the price hike took effect, and not as good as March 2013.

We are definitely ahead of when I started in 2011, non premiums were finally allowed on all servers (which triggered Wurm's greatest sudden increase in premium accounts, ever) , and Indy was the ONLY PvE server. 

0iQr592.png

This is the old bdew chart from 2012 which still has a lot of historical value, it's from this thread

VqWr5.png

edit: I cannot recall now why bdew did not do a 5 year chart, I tried to line the two images up and then SMOOSH them together  as best I could but I am not really good at it, still it looks like "overall" is semi right (some of the colors used are different, ie elevation vs pristine, both use orange but for different periods. Indy is always green and that's what counts eh?).   I imagine at some point bdew will do a new updated chart again, using better procedures than "lets try to smoosh stuff together" like me ^_^

5yearchart.jpg

certainly the population looks a lot better than when I started in spring 2011, and I imagine people who started in 2005-2009 have seen even more improvements.

It does seem to me that periodic new servers helps more than it hurts, if you look at premium population over five years.  

Each new server has continually thinned out the player per tile ratio, further reducing player interaction. This is bad because player interaction is very important for an MMO. If players make friends/communities then they are more likely to stick around in the game as they become socially invested. But then new servers come along and these existing communities are scattered as some of the players of said community more to another server (introducing cross server alliances could certainly help a little there). With player density dropping with every new server, the amount of people you are likely to run into also drops, thus you end up meeting less people and become less socially invested in the game compared to when less servers exist. Wurm simply can't continue to get new servers without closing down some of the older servers (which I doubt will happen any time soon, if ever, as that would drive away many existing players and existing players are worth tens, if not hundreds, of potential new players (as most new players don't stick around long enough for them to even matter))

And without new servers you get no (or very few) new people at all - because there's no wild space for them. A lot of people enjoy the early Wurm survival game - the old servers cannot provide that gaming experience: there are roads, guards tower, walls, deeds and canals everywhere. Rolf cannot shut down these servers because the people that sit on that old deeds - even though they never login - would complain to hell about "all their hard work" wasted and how much "money" they've put into that old deed. Therefore:

• to get new people into Wurm you need new servers

to avoid a shitstorm of complaining old players you cannot shut-down old servers.

There's a very easy method if you want more player interactions: disband your old deed and start with a new character near a starter town on the newest server. Lots of player interactions guaranteed.

• to get new people into Wurm you need new servers

New servers only serve to alienate old players as the now dying, small community that is Wurm, only splinters off into other, smaller fragments. The smaller servers suffer from lack of players, the game overall is suffering because a lack of players, and people think to get more they need to split it up even more?..

I think the problem with the game currently is the core mechanics of it, how it appeals to a very small audience, and the advertisement of the game aswell. As players continue playing they'll also soon find themselves disliking each and everything the devs have been doing to the point of taking long extended breaks or just leaving.

I understand the reasoning behind making new servers, but I don't honestly feel like it should be the go-to strategy.

Edited by Huntar

edit: I cannot recall now why bdew did not do a 5 year chart, I tried to line the two images up and then SMOOSH them together  as best I could but I am not really good at it, still it looks like "overall" is semi right (some of the colors used are different, ie elevation vs pristine, both use orange but for different periods. Indy is always green and that's what counts eh?).   I imagine at some point bdew will do a new updated chart again, using better procedures than "lets try to smoosh stuff together" like me ^_^

certainly the population looks a lot better than when I started in spring 2011, and I imagine people who started in 2005-2009 have seen even more improvements.

It does seem to me that periodic new servers helps more than it hurts, if you look at premium population over five years.  

The new servers are a false hope.

What happens is that people make new one-time premium alts for their mayors and/or alts to check out the new servers and then just keep their mains anyhow. Its still the same number of overall players, but just a few more alts.

Also here's a question, for someone who NEVER played Wurm, why would a new server hold any appeal? They don't know the "lack of space", they never played the game, why would a new server help? In fact, anyone that never played wurm wouldn't equate a new server to a new map to explore. Since most games new server is just a new "copy" of the game.

Edited by KanePT

Also here's a question, for someone who NEVER played Wurm, why would a new server hold any appeal? They don't know the "lack of space", they never played the game, why would a new server help? In fact, anyone that never played wurm wouldn't equate a new server to a new map to explore. Since most games new server is just a new "copy" of the game.

Exactly. New servers only possibly bring back old players who quit and want something fresh, or possibly cause existing players to create another alt to go and explore the new server.

However, with respawning uniques and the change to traders, I doubt new servers hold the appeal they once did.

• Like 1

Well from the graphs seems like things are fine. The people that think the sky is falling are just not as enthused about the game as they were before and that's fine people come and go all the time but as the charts are showing things are fine and are for sure a lot better than 5 years ago.

Now i admit that the growth has not been great lately but there has not been much of a loss either just new server crash that always happens. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

Well from the graphs seems like things are fine. The people that think the sky is falling are just not as enthused about the game as they were before and that's fine people come and go all the time but as the charts are showing things are fine and are for sure a lot better than 5 years ago.

Now i admit that the growth has not been great lately but there has not been much of a loss either just new server crash that always happens. 

Just like real life it's a trick to manipulate people with fear. "Wurm is doomed unless we get "real" pve servers where nobody can interact with anyone else because thats what I want." 

What happens is that people make new one-time premium alts for their mayors and/or alts to check out the new servers and then just keep their mains anyhow. Its still the same number of overall players, but just a few more alts. 

That would explain the initial "new server rush" but not the sustained growth. We hit a new record (2500 monthly subs) when Deliverance opened, then back down a little, then another new record (3000) for Exodus opened, then quieted down, then yet another record (3500) for Epic, then back down,  then back again to 3500 for Celebration.   Pristine + Release coincided with the new WURM 1.0 announcement (I think custom characters looks, multistory? some other MAJOR stuff) which lead to lots of Wurm 1.0 publicity and a huge spike to alltime new high 6500 people were paying premium. Everyone hollared of course that so many servers would absolutely kill the game.  Then the price hike and everything went to hell and dropped to around 4800 (still better than a few years before).  Some bumps up then quiet down as they had some perks (loyalty program, 1.1 update, 1.2 update) but nothing on a par as the big 2013 boom until ... XANADU. Which kicked monthly premiums up over 6000 again.  There was a slump after Xanadu, as there always is after the initial new server glow. All those onetime deed alts etc. Some people came back for bridges, some people came back for XYZ, 

Unless we drop back down to 2000 again, the new servers have done much more good than harm for longterm growth.  We have three times as many monthly subs as we did before 2010. (that was also when Roldf allowed F2P players on the main servers, which everyone said was going to kill the game for good. 

• Like 2

And thats why they had to let go redbaron? :s

either way its not my business to know how they are doing

financially.

but where i live in game sure seems DEAD.

even if the overall suscriptions are up or down.

and thats the impression new players get when logging in.

hmm maybe new ambience sound effects. Crickets

• Like 1

I do think that Rolf was just trying things out with a paid PR guy and it did not help any as far as new members go so he let him go. (that's my thoughts on the deal anyway but no one knows but Rolf) 

• Like 1