Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

How come so many are quitting right now?

I think the selling of toons is some peoples way of trying to make money.  The work a toon up, sell, then make another to work up.  So maybe people are not leaving but changing.

You don't even usually get back enough to cover the premium time cost, unless you grind pretty hard.

Edited by Outlaw

It is always sad when a player- especially established ones- leave Wurm. Of course there are things that could be better but can that not be said of our real lives?

In my 'almost' four years playing with three deeds for most of that time, I have never considered leaving. I potter around, usually have few hard targets and may just choose to work on a skill for a spell and then do something completely different on the same or other server. On the few occasions that I do grind skills, my enjoyment level decreases- it becomes an extension to work and that is something that I do not need or want. In my opinion, Wurm is an incredible game and I love playing it. I want it to remain like that.

May I suggest that some of the players who do leave have simply burned themselves out. In real life you would perhaps change your job and that is what some are doing- trying pastures new.

Edited by Spolmit
  • Like 1

"How come so many are quitting right now?"

Hype? Exaggeration to reinforce complaints that others make about the game? Seems no more that the usual dissatisfaction to me. People come and go. There will always be things about the game that others dislike. I find a few now and then myself, although none have ever led me to consider quitting playing the game.

I doubt anyone will be dissuaded from quitting if their current complaint was resolved. Even if it were, then next thing not to their liking would soon appear to take its place. I have always found these forums to be much more discouraging than the game itself, yet I still comment here anyway. Then a brilliant comment arises that illuminates the surroundings and I think, it's not so bad really.

We each find our own special allure that holds us to this game. For some it is stronger than others and causes them to remain through the inevitable problems that arise. I am content to let others make their own decision in this respect. One thing though, I see no way this game will even become what the individual will want it to be, so setting the expectations to these standards will only lead to disappointment and frustration in the end.

Wurm, the great test of patience. Who will get the passing grade and remain, until the next test arises?

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

End game?

I'm trying to picture what that would be like in Wurm, and failing.  Could you enlighten us?

You missed Brash's point. The deed wasn't someplace where it was crowded like you've explained in your post. It was out in the middle of no where not even on a coast. There are literally tens of thousands of empty tiles where someone could put up a deed on Xan without having a neighbor. This person chose to set up in the middle of the wilderness right next to Brash.  :lol:

Unless you are saying they were not trying to be friendly. 

Nah, was just trying to show another viewpoint. People always assume it's about them or their stuff. Sometimes, it's not even about you. It occasionally is about your stuff. (In my case, templars.)

Maybe the person saw a spot, and thought...'Ooo, maybe when that goes down I can get some goods!' and they've both just been on at total opposite times and so they both think the other is just going to vacate eventually....and then it goes on and on for months...(Because that's the kind of wait time we have on some situations.)

But seriously, who knows what they were thinking?

From what Brash did say, it was mostly 'I've never expressed my discontent with this person, and I'm mad I lost access to part of my mine, but have nobody to confront!'....assuming they ever get the chance...maybe don't 'confront' the person and ask them nicely what the intention was/if they could kindly remedy the situation...or hell...even compromise...give access to the door/and they give access to the mining? As it currently stands, nobody is 'winning' anything there and they are just seething in anger about something.

Anger clouds rationality.

Honestly i still think there should be only 1 pvp server and 1 pve server

• Like 7

It is always sad when a player- especially established ones- leave Wurm. 

I would say it is worse when new players do not feel welcome here and leave. In fact, I would argue that Wurm would be better off as a game if players were only allowed to stay for 2-3 years and that was it, then the character would be void. 

Older players get way too much sense of ownership in a world-building game like this, and that entitlement creates the hostile forum climate that we have been witnessing the past couple of weeks.

I will be taking a break pretty soon for these reasons:

1. Summer.
Its busy time of year and hot as hell, much harder to find the time and energy to play a video game for hours.

2. Developers.
Wont be much development for the next few months, after the devs get back from their giant month long swedish holiday, They then have to figure out what the heck they are going to do next aswell as make good on the bug fixing promises. I suspect much chaos.

3. Players.
Probably due to the heat but I find myself being more frustrated and angry with people when normally I wouldn't be. Rather than allow my bad mood to burn bridges and make people dislike me, Ill just take a break. :)

Edited by Steeloxide

I would like to venture slightly into the unknown here... this thread was srarted by a PRA and has gotten no other attention from the PR team, devs or Rolf. I know that sweden is on holiday but there are A LOT of very valid points in this thread. Are these issues going to be noted and legitimately addressed or was this just a personal topic bot related to the PR team at all. If it is just a personal topic can it be advised for the PR team to review these comments or to supply some sort of feedback from the PR team AND Dev staff to the legitimacy of some of these issues and how they can be addressed.

To the OP thank you for this thread. This has been a good way to collaborate many other threads that have been posted about issues while minimizing the forum griefing and bashing usually associated in these threads.

To Rolf, the Dev team, and the PR team: please highly consider the comments addressed in this thread and consider advising the community that you acknowledge at the minimum what is being said here. We do not see nearly enough feedback about concerns from the parties this note is addressed to and it would help to settle a lot of frustrations to know that our concerns have at least been heard.

It has been a long time since I have seen this much productive feedback without it being in a Q&A.

Thanks for reading,

Silas

• Like 2

People come, people go. 

Seen a lot of new players chatting the last few days--always a pleasure to listen to their explorations and discoveries.  Seen some old players recently back after long breaks, great to renew old friendships.  Seen other players distracted by the latest "shiny" and taking a break for awhile.  While missed, you got to refresh yourself from time to time. 

End game?

I'm trying to picture what that would be like in Wurm, and failing.  Could you enlighten us?

• Like 2

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Bang on average. Theres no trend of people leaving. Forum whining is another matter.

`Yearly' Graph (1 Day Average)

paying-year.png  

Max Average Current

Returning: 6252 players 5214 players 5202 players

Total: 6254 players 5217 players 5205 players

I really don't care if people are leaving or not but I have to ask if you people actually look at the graphs and read the numbers or do you just copy and paste the link and type something whether it is related or not depending upon your need to derail, debunk, and use the words "whine," "cry," or "tears?" I wasn't a valedictorian or anything but... yeah. 

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 3

End game in wurm would be death.   How can you end living???  For us PVE people there is no end. It is a continuously changing world. Just like life.

Agree.

World of Warcraft, the most popular MMO of all time, has end game all up in your face.  And they managed to lose three MILLION subscribers in just three months after the launch of the newest expansion.  So I kind of question the idea that "end game" is a magic pill for Wurm.

• Like 1

Agree.

World of Warcraft, the most popular MMO of all time, has end game all up in your face.  And they managed to lose three MILLION subscribers in just three months after the launch of the newest expansion.  So I kind of question the idea that "end game" is a magic pill for Wurm.

They lost the vast majority of those because they took away flight on the new continent, not so much the content.

• Like 1

They lost the vast majority of those because they took away flight on the new continent, not so much the content.

I'm sure flight isn't the only reason.

Just like Wurm, WoW suffers from 'new release hype'. When a new server launches in Wurm, sub and deed numbers soar, only to dwindle back down once the initial hype wears off. Same with WoW. A new expansion comes out, people play for 1-2 months then they leave again until next expansion.

I don't know if that's true. They did the exact same thing (requiring players to walk/run/horse-ride for several levels' worth of the new content) for every expansion in the past, and while that did result in some post-release drop-off, it's not considered to be a major factor compared to general boredom or burnout.

I have to agree that an end game in this game is an end all for this game though. World of warcraft is mention but how many of the elite players with max leveled chars of each type fully twinked out still play? They reached end game in arenas, battlefields, missions, pvp, rankings. Now they get to run around looking like badasses idolized by everyone in the exact same maps, hearing the exact same comments from people, never achieving or having anything to really do. Add terraforming to WoW and people may never leave.

Wurm is incredibly unique and something many sandboxes strived to achieve (Darkfall, shadowbane, etc.). The world here is 100% player shaped, driven and expoubded upon. Economy = player driven, community = player driven, terraforming = player driven. The devs create the maps and we change them to our suiting. Look at the original maps of inde compared to inde now. New islands, new land, missing islands and land, mossing mountains, new mountains, we control the pace and structure of all in the game. To those who continue to play this is the ultimate appeal to the game.

I get a full plate / glimmer set and still have many other things to do. I create a fleet of ships that makes the ancient war greeks grovel and still can build my deed better or craft 100 things to pretty it up. I complete that and can begin trade of the things I have mastered. I get bored of PvE I can freely go to chaos and PvP with all my gained skills and knowledge. I want to have PvP from the beginning in a whole new world? I make an epic portal and start fresh in a PvP server. All of this content including in the one premium cost. All other expenses are mine to make and mine alone, they are not required.

I take breaks from the game because I want to, because I can, and because it will al still be foable when I get back.

This game is for some and for the rest there is minecraft.

• Like 2

I don't know if that's true. They did the exact same thing (requiring players to walk/run/horse-ride for several levels' worth of the new content) for every expansion in the past, and while that did result in some post-release drop-off, it's not considered to be a major factor compared to general boredom or burnout.

Also I guess it's worth mentioning that they gained right about 3 million in the months before they lost 3 million. :-P But gaining 3 million doesn't get Blizzard in the news.

I didn't read the whole thread but I did bring my popcorn anyway.

I'm like the guy who gets into the movie theater at the end of the film, heard it wasn't a very good film anyway and still gets to eat his popcorn.

Seriously, I've seen lots of new players and the numbers aren't stating 'the end of the world'.

Another thread where the most spoken minority complain.....

• Like 2

Another thread where the most spoken minority complain.....

Hey there,

I'm not really sure if there is a particular reason, or if this has always been this way I just haven't noticed, but recently it appears that so many of us are quitting, selling their toons, taking long breaks, or just disappearing. If I am correct and this is more of a thing right now than usual, is there anyone who might know what's the reasons? I know that a lot of players  I know, respect and am friends with have left due to update notes, changes they didn't like, or personal reasons, so I was wondering what the overall reason might be for other people.

Don't take offense by this post, I'm not judging anyone, I am just wondering :)

Cause wurm isn't improving. Sure new gimmicks get added, but the core problems persist, and people get tired of swimming against the current.

And what's worse, new gimmicks keep popping up that are just broken (like the new "gods"), and the devs don't care, they proved they don't care time and time again.

That plus the fact that Wurm is 10 years old, or near enough that age not to matter, and you KNOW its not lasting.

I mean even WoW has had to do HUGE improvements to the game to keep afloat, and still losing costumers, and that's the most popular MMO in the industry, so much so that many think it was the FIRST mmo. Now Wurm, Wurm is lucky to still be online.

Cause wurm isn't improving.

I've said in the past, the devs should have started working on a Wurm 2.0 in a new engine long ago, instead of wasting time on bridges etc in the current engine.

Could definitely have had a alpha version of 2.0 built in unity or w/e in the time it took to do bridges alone.

Edited by Outlaw

I've said in the past, the devs should have started working on a Wurm 2.0 in a new engine long ago, instead of wasting time on bridges etc in the current engine.

Could definitely have had a alpha version of 2.0 built in unity or w/e in the time it took to do bridges alone.

MMO's absolutely depend on new content.  Without new content, players get bored and quit.

Sorry but I rather have my bridges and multi-story houses and all the other stuff than waiting YEARS for a new game engine to come out.

Besides...game engine?  Wurm runs on Java lol.  It's not going to benefit from a game engine update the way a real 3D game would.

• Like 1

Besides...game engine?  Wurm runs on Java lol.  It's not going to benefit from a game engine update the way a real 3D game would.

Edited by Outlaw