Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

not being able to pave tiles dipping into the water

So after doing a lot of work terraforming and creating a boat mine I am left with an entry that will not look cosmetically fine.  Why is there no way to pave tiles that enter the water? In most cases this is solved by filling in and raising the depth, paving then digging it all back out.

On my boat mine entrance the northwest corner of the corner tile meets the cave in the water and I have been told there is no way to pave this, as the water is in the way. Can't fill it as the dirt just flows into the cave, and surprisingly does vanish.

Creating this harbor has tried my patience, especially when I found out that surface mining will go deeper than you are actually able to mine, oh the joys finding someone to collapse my mine entrance.

VzTSYVw.jpg

In the above you can see the offending tile that can not be finished. (originally wanted to do the bridge 3tiles wide, but you can not place a bridge directly in front of a mine entrance, if if its high above)

Now my next test will be to see if you can build a colossus straddling a mine entrance.

HbF6Hgn.jpg

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Is it the NW corner of that tile that is in the water? I believe only the NW corner is the one that is checked to see if it's not below water level, and if it is under water then it doesn't allow you to pack it. If the tile in question isn't the NW corner then this could be a bug, otherwise it might be better suited for the suggestions forum.

I know how rough it is to make one of these canals. It is pretty much a nightmare if you're planning on making it look pleasing.

Request to GMs: could someone please pave that square?

• Like 1

It is the NW corner, which I was not aware of before, it was driving me nuts that I could pave the tiles without any changes on the opposite side.

f4nAWjV.jpg

Is there anything at all that can be done with this offending unpaveable tile?

You'll have to remove the mine door and collapse the entrance before being able to start working on getting that tile paved. After doing the aforementioned, you're going to have to raise up the tile directly in front of the mine entrance to where it's above water level so that you can pack the problem tile. Doing this will be a headache, though, as you're going to have to remove quite a few of the marble slabs in that canal due to the digging restrictions on pavement.

Basically, remove all of the marble slabs on that side that the offending unpaved tile is on and then raise the northwest corner of all of those same tiles down that one tile channel. After the northwest corners of that stretch of tiles are above water level, pack them and dig/dredge them back down to the depth you have it now then pave them with marble slabs anew.

As a rudimentary sketch here, here's how your channel looks right now (where the underscore is the flat one tile wide path to the mine entrance):

\_/

Here's how it needs to look:

/

\/

Notice how the middle tile is raised up on the right side (looking at the channel facing the mine entrance as in the pictures above). This is necessary so that you can pack the tiles along that side before lowering down to rock.

That should work. Good luck!

Also, I forgot you have a bridge over the canal...that'll have to go so that you can raise the corners of some of those tiles in order to pack/repave them.

Edited by Laiwyn

I was told you can not open a mine without all the surrounding tiles being rock, in which case this would not work if that is indeed fact.

This is a horrible limitation of what you can do with paving in the game, and it drives me nuts that this spot can't be finished at all without tearing down all that has been done.

thanks for the advice

Nah, you can open a mine as long as the tile you're tunneling through (or in this case, mining out of the cave) is rock. You should be good to go with the guide I gave you, though I do wish you the best of luck on this considering how much work it's going to take to fix it and rebuild.

You are confusing surface mining with opening a mine entrance.  If you were trying to lower the rock tile, then the surrounding tiles need to be rock also.  Laiwyn's instructions will work, albeit a lot of work to be done.

Edited by Vroomfondel