Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

deeds on comunity maps,opt-in or opt-ot?

how should adding deeds to community map work?

as i see it there is 2 options:

the way i used to do it,you add all deed locations anyone reports and then remove only if the mayor asks you to remove it(which lead to much more accurate  maps)

the "rule" people use now,only mayor can report his/her own deed,nobody can add deeds they dont own,less accurate maps but makes shrimpie happy.

seems clear that i support the first one.

there is also a little problem with using the second one.when i remade the current deli map from scratch,using the locations of all the deed in the old deli map,i never asked anyone for permissions to add their deeds,so if you really want to follow the second "rule" you should remove them all,or be a hypocrite.

give your opinion or if you think there is another option,speak up,

• Like 3

I agree with the first one. Only reason I am currently following the second rule, is because I've had a few people say they don't want it that way. Thanks for posting this, will be good to see a wider opinion on this matter :-)

Should be the player's decision whether or not they want it on the map.

I'm more for opting in, but would be fine with opt out.

Edited by Huntar

I dont' want to have to opt out my deed if it randomly appears on the map at any time or place. Plus I can see a scenario with the "opt out" method to creating a hassle for new map makers who may or may not know who's already asked to opt out in the long run.

I think people should add their deed to the map if they want it on the map. It's the tried and trusted method on pretty much every other server. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I think it should be an opt - out rule. I would prefer more accurate maps for navigation, and i'm sure there are some people who don't care if their deed is on the map or not. 

• Like 4

I COULD, maybe, do a thing where people post the deeds they find. They post them with cords AND the mayor's name. That way I can try to contact the person and see if they would like it added or not. If no response after a week of trying to contact them it could be added.

Edited by Nicrolis
  • Like 1

I would agree with the first option, the "opt-out or be included" selection... more accurate maps help everyone, and it should be a mayor's responsibility to make their voice heard if they don't want to participate in a project that helps the community... but that's just my opinion.  :)

• Like 1

I COULD, maybe, do a thing where people post the deeds they find. They post them with cords AND the mayor's name. That way I can try to contact the person and see if they would like it added or not. If no response after a week of trying to contact them it could be added.

If you changed the last part to "not added" I could agree with that. I just don't see why a mayor should have to opt out just because someone else wants a map.

EDIT: And just to clear things a bit, I love maps and I'd love to see everyone's deed on it, but I'd rather it be up to the owner. :)

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 1

the "rule" people use now,only mayor can report his/her own deed,nobody can add deeds they dont own,less accurate maps but makes shrimpie happy.

Not sure why I need to be added to this unless you are purposely trying to be a <insert choice word here>.

Far back as I can recall, the community maps were always Opt-In situations, which is nice as not everyone wants their deed on the map. Now, you adding deeds to the map that the mayor did not condone is on you and does not make anyone voting for the second way a hypocrite.

As Lotus1 stated, don't fix what isn't broken.

• Like 5

i didn't  say voting makes you a hypocrite,but if being against something and benefiting from it as long as somebody else does it does.

and added that because you are the one always trying to turn that into a rule and telling people to enforce it.

and lets never have any progress,and never make anything better,because "if it works it doesnt need to change"

Edited by Tpikol

i did say voting makes you a hypocrite,but if being against something and benefiting from it as long as somebody else does it does.

and added that because you are the one always trying to turn that into a rule and telling people to enforce it.

and lets never have any progress,and never make anything better,because "if it works it doesnt need to change"

This doesn't provide any progress to the game. This also doesn't make things better when it put a burden on some deed owners. Please refrain from calling anyone a hypocrite if you want people to take you seriously. Their opinion matters whether you like it or not.

its all about what the goal of having community maps is,if the goal its to have acurate maps,they are not working and should be fixed,if the goal its not to have accurate maps,why bother doing it.

• Like 1

its all about what the goal of having community maps is,if the goal its to have acurate maps,they are not working and should be fixed,if the goal its not to have accurate maps,why bother doing it.

Because what we have already works. It doesn't need to be fixed in my opinion. This whole notion of having opt-out maps has been done in the past and has never worked out. All this really seems to be is trying to resurrect a dead horse.

Edited by Lotus1

Because what we have already works. It doesn't need to be fixed in my opinion. This whole notion of having opt-out maps has been done in the past and has never worked out. All this really seems to be is trying to resurrect a dead horse.

not true,it was done in the past and it did work and it wasnt a big deal.

and like a said whetever what we have works of not depends on what the goal of the comunity map is.is it acuracy,what we have doesnt work.

and like it or not the reason current deli map has most of the deeds it has now its because i didnt ask permisisons to add them,if i have followed that,it would be a lot more empty.

sad thing its in the end this is not about the people that doesnt want to be on the map,its about the abandoned places and people that doesnt care either way

Edited by Tpikol

not true,it was done in the past and it did work and it wasnt a big deal.

and like a said whetever what the have works of not depends on what the goal of the comunity map is.is it acuracy,what we have doesnt work.

and like it or not the reason current deli map has most of the deeds it has now its because i didnt ask permisisons to add them,if i have followed that,it would be a lot more empty.

It was done in the past and it got people up in arms. It didn't work dude. Release was a good example of this when Object tried the same thing.

We already have enough accuracy with the land and deeds come and go. There are enough mayors who put their deeds on the map to make it easy to navigate anyway. :)

Can't we just let the mayors who don't want their deeds on the map to not have to get them taken off? This thread was about what people thought yes? Not about you trying to convince the populous?

• Like 1

you can have your opinion and not like it,but you cant say it doesnt work because i did it myself for years and nobody cared.some people even said i shouldnt allow people to remove their deed if they want to. which i think its going too far.

Too late. My self driving Wurmle large cart has been capturing the landscape in excruciating detail on an endless supply of papyrus sheets. You WILL be documented, you cannot hide.

• Like 1

Problem with an Opt-out rule is that not everyone uses the Forum or knows that it exists and you never know when your Deed would end up on the list.

• Like 3

I think it should be an opt - out rule. I would prefer more accurate maps for navigation, and i'm sure there are some people who don't care if their deed is on the map or not. 

I agree with this.  I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrating it is to try and pinpoint where I am on the Deli map when I run into a deed or road I wasn't expecting to see.  While it's a little easier now that we have the bridge, it was incredibly frustrating when I had to travel completely around the sound (or swim across with a horse in tow) to get to whatever deed I needed to visit on the mainland. 

Unless one is afraid of being raided (and given recent events, it appears to be a justified, albeit unfortunate, fear), I see no reason not to have one's deed on the map.

• Like 1

Community maps are just that, they belong to the community. If you live on a PVE server there is no point in hiding. All it does is make new players think a certain part of the map seem empty and when they go there they are disappointed. I for one find the more details the more it helps describe directions to others.

• Like 2

Although my opinion about this topic should be well known by now (I mentioned it several times before), this may be the right place to repeat:

I never understood the approach of deliberately making the community map inaccurate and incomplete. Why should someone be allowed to have their deed NOT appear on the map? Imagine how this would work in real life: we would be left with official road maps of our country that would only contain a small subset of towns, cities and roads. Any mayor would be allowed to have "his" town removed from the map, as if it didn't exist. What use would a map like that be?

I heard a lot of players complain about how the community map is not very helpful because it only contains a small number of existing deeds - probably more than 60% of all deeds are not on the map! And: I am sure that most of the missing deeds are not missing because their mayors are hermits and want to live the secret life of a recluse, but because they just don't care to inform the map makers of their settlement. And even if...

Here is my firm conviction: "A map is a map and it should precisely show what is there!" A map must be a reliable tool containing everything that exists in a certain area - instead of deliberately hiding places and structures! Any player who places a deed is adding an important element to the server community, and by doing so he should be aware that he steps out of anonymity  and namelessness. (After all, his name and the name of his settlement will appear in the event tab and even on twitter!) So, he should accept that the new place he created will appear on the community map!

So, I am even more radical than the OP: for me it's neither opt-in nor opt-out;  the map should just be complete! I would even favor a "community map scout" who frequently travels the server scouting for new (and disbanded) deeds in order to keep the map updated.

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 4

Because what we have already works.

Unfortunately it doesn't. As a player as well as a CA I met a lot of people who were lost and complaining about the community map being inaccurate and incomplete.

I prefer to *not* have any of my deeds on these Community Maps and have never submitted any of them. Even with this stance two of them on different servers have "appeared" there. Who submitted them I have no idea but since they are close to starter Villages I never bothered to ask to have them removed.

I think the current system works best with deed Mayors requesting they be put on the map and would prefer it remain that way. I see many players requesting this by posting their requests, so the current system seems to work well enough. Even then with the general topography and roads shown one can get a good idea of where they are without any Villages needed as reference points.

I see these Community Maps more for the purpose of those who want their deeds listed as an existing location to advertise them being there, than anything else. Sort of a status thing of wanting to be noticed, which is fine if you want to be but lets not push it on others who don't want this.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

TBH the only thing that really needs to be accurate on a map is the roads. If that is not enough it wont really matter how accurate you make the map the person using it will still get lost.

• Like 1

TBH the only thing that really needs to be accurate on a map is the roads. If that is not enough it wont really matter how accurate you make the map the person using it will still get lost.

If someone comes along in CA Help and tells us they are lost, I usually advise them to try to find the next settlement and examine the ground to get the deed name. If they can find the deed on the community map they know where they are and are saved!

Most of the time, however, they report "Cannot find a deed by that name on the map!". That makes it hard to help them. A map should be usable for navigation as well as for orientation.