Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

deeds on comunity maps,opt-in or opt-ot?

Accurate mapping of roads and other landmarks (resources etc) would deliver a well-usable map even if there wasn't one single village on it. Sure it would be 'even easier' if every single village was on it as well - but it wouldn't be needed. So as far as I am concerned: get the roads, resources, waters and mountaintops/-shapes right, and leave the map an opt-in map as to villages. Players (unless they can't read maps... then they will have something more to learn, which will even really help them RL...) then have all they need to find their way, and villages which want to stay off the map without being forced to put time and energy into achieving that (meanwhile having their village on the map as they do NOT want...) won't need to go that route (if they even get to see it in time... if one of their deeds was added without consent they of course won't be happy with it - but whats the use getting it off the map again if it has allready been on a while and no doubt copied to elsewhere a number of times, right? - so there's a whole other reason why you perhaps didn't get all too many 'opt-out's' - not much use anymore once put on by the mapmaker allready...).

As for CA: simply a matter of going with what you have. As CA on GV I surely didnt have any villages to refer to when trying to help someone go from a to b - that was all the way depending on landmarks, roads, crossings, resources, lakes and their shapes, etc... worked quite well enough, you just need to adjust yourself as a CA to the tools and materials available. So instead of asking them to examine the ground in the next village, ask them what they are seeing around them, what roads, what landmarks (and if they are in middle of a mixed forest - a one-kind forest can be a lead in itself! - tell them to walk out of it following a tile-direction, and then tell you what they see when they get out - the alternative to telling them to examine ground at next village they come to).

I can see both sides of this coin - but I think concentrating on a better map in other ways makes the whole 'all villages need to be on else it's useless' stance unneeded. And therefor desirable, because then there is a way that both sides can have what they want.

• Like 3

I can understand someone wanting to keep their place 'quiet' and out-of-the-way, however, I would think that almost everyone has at some time used a map in Wurm to move around or locate something. It is therefore because of this reason that I suggest that a map should include all deeds and highways (plus points of interest / help) unless the owner specifically opts out.

• Like 1

Opt-out.

The community benefits from an accurate map (god forbid), and the hermits can... opt out!

"It's always been thus" is a ridiculous argument. That kind of thinking kept us hunting with spears and building mud huts for 50,000 years.

Trying to say it's a "rule" is misleading. It's not a rule, it's never been a rule, and that statement's as false today as it was the last time this came up and the time before etc.

• Like 2

I couldnt have said it any better than Yaga myself...neither opt in nor opt out....let the map be as accurate as possible

• Like 1

Having the name of the deed on a map only helps keep people away. I would like to know why would anyone want to go to a deed just because of a map? In essence you bring more people to an area by not having a deed marked on the map.

On a side note, how does showing a deed name give away a hermit? Is there a list of deeds with who owns it somewhere that I don't know about? I thought the only way to know who owns it is by actually being at the deed and inspecting the token.

I do want to know how a map marker is going to negatively impact a players gameplay.

• Like 3

With an opt out method the Map maker has to keep an additional list of mayor/deed/location of opt'd out deeds diminishing the hermit's intent. Or what is to stop someone from coming across their deed months later and noticing it not on the map and adding it? 

To make everyone happy... If you want the deed added to the list YOU contact the mayor and get them to add it or at least their permission to add it for them. This gives the hermit the option to say no before their location is divulged. 

If you use the map dump you'll get accurate road, much more important than deed locations, and hermit deeds will probably already be visible and will just remain nameless. 

EDIT: Forgot to vote OPT-IN

Edited by Neem
  • Like 1

If you use the map dump you'll get accurate road, much more important than deed locations, and hermit deeds will probably already be visible and will just remain nameless. 

I have to agree here. While some more recent road changes will not show up on the map dump, neither will recent changes on an opt-out map. I don't see how it actually gives us a more accurate representation than the tools we already have. I just think it would be more of a nuisance for the players who don't want their deeds on the map and have to check the map every now and then to see if their deed was placed just so they can provide an extra pm to the map maker to get their deed removed.

In the end,.it's more work for the map maker. It's more work for the deed holders.

Sorry guys, but I just don't see how an "opt-out" map is better than what we already have. Does the map we already have somehow "not work"?

Edited by Lotus1

I'd prefer to keep the opt-in system.  I ride all over the place using the current maps, and have not had an issue yet.

• Like 4

Here are my thoughts on this.

1 - there is an excellent in game map tool for those of  you that want an accurate map can use to add points of interest, deed locations and resources

2 - the community deed map does not require every single existing deed on it to be accurate, having the highways accurately located is more important, and a scattering of deeds that mayors opt in for the locations is usually more than enough to help a traveler figure out where he is

3 - one of the features I love about wurm is exploration and discovering new places as well as old places, if everything was fully labeled on the community deed map it would take away part of the spirit of discovery, there is really no need to have the rand McNally of community maps created

• Like 4

I agree with this.  I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrating it is to try and pinpoint where I am on the Deli map when I run into a deed or road I wasn't expecting to see.

I agree!!

It's PVE...all deeds/roads should be on the map.  It's hard enough as is to navigate between the trolls, spiders, and birches! 

• Like 3

Im still watching this thread. Giving it a 5 more days and ill make a decision based on what people have said.

Opt in...... should be the choice of the deed owner to be on or not.

While I am definitely for having deeds on a map, I try to remember that this is still just a game.  There have been some good arguments for either side, but, for me, it comes down to the fact that everyone plays a game differently.  Some will want to keep their deeds off the map and some will want their location posted, all for many good reasons.  My deed has been on the map through several community map iterations, but I added it voluntarily when it was founded.

I think it's important to respect that everyone has a different viewpoint and will play in their own unique way and so 'Opt In' would be my choice.

• Like 1

It would be very nice if we can update the map but the problem is some villages still exist but the owner have disappeared. I have just return to deli recently because my ex left me for some BxxxxE sadly. And I am starting on my feet again trying to discover deli all my past 6 years on wurm I had depended on him too much.now trying to find my way around is very hard for me and I am alway lost even when I try to follow the drop down box.

Edited by emas88

I just got massively lost, and none of the deeds nearby were on the map, so now I want to vote opt-out. I don't enjoy the time wasted running around lost. Another choice would be some regularly-placed game-generated landmarks that could be discovered in-game and on the map.

• Like 1

I like that last Idea. I might start incorporating some major land marks. Ill have people vote on if the land mark is good to be added or not :-) Rainbow Bridge would probably be a big yes from every one.

• Like 1

I just got massively lost, and none of the deeds nearby were on the map, so now I want to vote opt-out. I don't enjoy the time wasted running around lost. Another choice would be some regularly-placed game-generated landmarks that could be discovered in-game and on the map.

That a good idea perhap the landmark with name. Especially inland maybe some statues with name in case too many with the same design

I personally dont want my deeds on the map-there are people that run around testing deed permissions to see what they can take-better to not give them the extra help-when you can get rid of those the i wouldnt mind being on the map

That a good idea perhap the landmark with name. Especially inland maybe some statues with name in case too many with the same design

The only thing is, if these landmarks are small, there needs to be a way to find them easily. For example, there's the spell "reveal settlement." If everyone had "reveal landmark" or something like that, then if you wanted to, you could get help navigating when you're lost.

While I would love to see all deeds on the map, I think the deed owners should opt-in to be on the map.

There are deed owners who don't want to be on the map for whatever reasons, but if one of those reasons is that they don't have a forum account, then a player who knows this might offer to volunteer to post the information for them. So, if you know of a deed not on the map and really think it should be there, chat up the mayor.

WIlca

+1 for opt-in.  If you really want to make the map more accurate, there's nothing stopping you approaching the mayors in-game to ask their permission directly.  But you should get positive permission before adding them, not assume consent until notified otherwise.  There are often several maps going, and for someone who would prefer not to be on the map, having to check what maps are being created all the time so you can opt out becomes a drag. 

My experience of the Release map has been that I can navigate just fine with only a subset of the deeds marked.  I use land features (mountains, lakes, terrain type, etc) more than I do deeds anyway.  In addition, the roads marked are only a subset anyway, as some of the highways have gone a bit organic over time - this seems to mostly work, although I haven't had to travel distance on foot for a while, so perhaps it's less of an issue for me.

Opt-In, as is the policy now. I agree with how it works now and vote it remain the same. The current system respects the rights of the deed owners as it should. The Opt-Out system would not favor them, it would favor anyone first and the deed owner second. The fact that some deeds are not listed is because we don't want them listed.

The current system is fine the way it is in my opinion, but even if it was changed to Opt-Out I would have my deed locations removed immediately from any and all maps... not because of good folks that get lost, but because I really don't want some of this community to have any clue where my deed is, for reasons I don't think I need to state here.

Opt-In (current system) is my choice.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1