Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Fueling Fires (Nevermind, ninja updates)

During the usual discussion helping a new player with fueling a fire, especially explaining the difference between putting fuel into the fire's container and activating the fuel to Burn, something occurred to me.

Why not let both actions fuel the fire?

Any item of the right type is destroyed inside a fire container, and that item is lost anyways, so what's wrong with letting that item end up fueling the fire as well?

Offhand it seems like it would help remove some confusion and help make gameplay more intuitive. Not to mention immersive.

EDIT: Confirmed to already be the case, at least with campfires. Updating the wiki accordingly.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 3

This was added in a stealth update a while back, I'm pretty sure.

• Like 3

Rolf was doing a Twitch stream interview with someone during Deli's opening, he put a log in the forge and everyone was laughing saying "Silly Rolf, it doesnt work like that, you have to activate and burn!" and lo and behold, the log hit 100dmg, poofed... and fuelled the fire. So this has been in what, coming up 4 years now?

• Like 3

As I had it explained to me, both ways do work, and the advantage of clicking and saying burn is that it works faster, say if the fire is close to burning out.

• Like 1

Ah I'll have to check this as I wasn't aware of such an update, and the wiki still shows the "old" info.

Oh boy, am I glad I saw this post. I had no idea this was already implemented, thank you!

lol really?  I had no idea that would work to fuel a fire!

Thanks OP!

Yup, swung over to land while sailing to check this, and burning a wood log till it crumbled away in the fire container did fuel the campfire.

Updating the wiki.

this is funny.  I couple years ago, I was putting wood in my forge to fuel it, then someone told me it works better if I activate it and choose "burn".  Been burning ever since. Those old wives tales handed down from generation to generation.

this is funny.  I couple years ago, I was putting wood in my forge to fuel it, then someone told me it works better if I activate it and choose "burn".  Been burning ever since. Those old wives tales handed down from generation to generation.

Eh, Burn is still much faster for fueling a fire, not to mention putting fuel inside takes up valuable space. Sure its for a few minutes.

Between the two, Burn is still the preferable method for most situations (mass smelting ore); however, offhand I can think of some where putting the fuel inside would be handy for slow fueling.

For example, stocking the fire when cooking some quick grub in the middle of nowhere, especially if one is short on ingredients and is rummaging around.

Edited by Klaa