Sign in to follow this  
dasfry

New Wood type Hickory

Please add Hickory as a new wood type.

Why?

Quote from the Wiki:  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickory)

"Hickory wood is very hard, stiff, dense and shock resistant...The combination of strength, toughness, hardness and stiffness found in hickory wood is not found in any other commercial wood.  It is used for tool handles, bows, wheel spokes, carts, drumsticks, lacrosse stick handles, golf club shaft... etc."

Also many of the tools I personally have in real life have Hickory handles.  Many of the tools I see for sale at the store seem to make it a big deal to point out that they are made of or from Hickory.

220px-Carya_Morton_29-U-10.jpg

150px-Pecan_bark.jpg

hickory.jpg

• Like 4

Especially if we can use hickory wood scraps to smoke fish and meat, *tummy rumbles*

• Like 2

Especially if we can use hickory wood scraps to smoke fish and meat, *tummy rumbles*

now THIS has got some meat to it.  The idea made me go all kuckoo for cocoa puffs crazy.

• Like 1

that description already fits oak in game

the aesthetic value would have some appeal, but the devs are actually moving backward from Mr. B's hard work about five years ago to have different wood textures because the client had / has resource management issues and can't handle all the different textures (how about actually fix the client instead?)

• Like 1

I'm sorry, my attention was taken when I read "golf club shaft"... Wurm Golf FTW!

+1 with or without Wurm Golf. :)

• Like 1

+1

Hickory is one of the best firewood trees out there too. Increased burn time?

Only real issue with adding hickory is that it was not native to Europe at all.

'Five or six species are native to China, Indochina, and India (State of Assam), 11 or 12 are from the United States, two to four are from Canada and four are found in Mexico'

'Hickory (from Powhatan)'

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickory

The name is even Native American.

Hickory also makes excellent bows. However, I believe Wurm is set somewhere in northern Europe. So I assume Wurmians would not have access to a new world tree specie. 

• Like 1

'Five or six species are native to China, Indochina, and India (State of Assam), 11 or 12 are from the United States, two to four are from Canada and four are found in Mexico'

'Hickory (from Powhatan)'

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickory

The name is even Native American.

Hickory also makes excellent bows. However, I believe Wurm is set somewhere in northern Europe. So I assume Wurmians would not have access to a new world tree specie. 

Thank goodness wurm isnt in Europe then.

• Like 1

Neither are giant scorpions or beetles the size of a small child, but there they are  :P

But Dragons totally ARE native to Europe.  I mean it's in all the movies!

Anyway +1.  Hickory smoked deer meat?  Sign me up!!

Oak is a decent cooking fuel, especially poultry and fish.

Hardwoods in general are usually good. Now something really pitchy like pine... Ugh. Too much residue.

Still nothing like a nice piece of hickory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyjrUAimzZg

Edited by Klaa

Crocodiles arent either.

Crocodiles arent either.

or corn, or potatoes, or rice or mountain lions, or pumpkins or anacondas, or gorillas, and I bet the list goes on...

...the aesthetic value would have some appeal, but the devs are actually moving backward from Mr. B's hard work about five years ago to have different wood textures because...

the client had / has resource management issues...

This is a separate issue and requires a whole other thread to address it with DEV support.

But it's not directly related to weather or not Hickory is a useful wood type.

Oak is a decent cooking fuel, especially poultry and fish.

Hardwoods in general are usually good. Now something really pitchy like pine... Ugh. Too much residue.

Still nothing like a nice piece of hickory:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyjrUAimzZg

I watched that whole video looking for where hickory fits in. 

About 3 minutes and 20 seconds into the video the main character finishes beating the guys with a handle and says "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory".

Edited by dasfry

I'm sorry, my attention was taken when I read "golf club shaft"... Wurm Golf FTW!

+1 with or without Wurm Golf. :)

Tunanta,

This is for you

cache_382438204.jpg

Edited by dasfry
  • Like 1

Only real issue with adding hickory is that it was not native to Europe at all...

Plebian,

Can you show me where does it say that everything in Wurm has to be from Europe?

As noted by Flinty, Proximo, Kunalt and Griper, above there are many items that aren't from Europe in Wurm.

Edited by dasfry
  • Like 1

Mmm hickory

Klaa,

You just gave me an idea.

Edited by dasfry

I watched that whole video looking for where hickory fits in. 

About 3 minutes and 20 seconds into the video the main character finishes beating the guys with a handle and says "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory".

Aye unfortunately I couldn't find a shorter clip quickly, especially given the fact the clip is titled as the scene in question. Three minutes of the lead-up in the store, which personally adds nothing to the handle fight. Not sure why it was included.

This is a separate issue and requires a whole other thread to address it with DEV support.

But it's not directly related to weather or not Hickory is a useful wood type.

and if you read the part that I cut out, you will see that oak already functions to reduce damage on items; also, willow is best for bows, birch burns better, cedar arrows are easier to imp, maple arrows take less damage, cedar items decay more slowly, walnut gives +10% ql on coal piles, birch and oak increase output quantity of coal piles

this means that the only valid reason to add hickory is aesthetics, which isn't going to happen (read quote), so it would literally add nothing to the game except knowing that your tool is made of a different wood type, which isn't worth the coding

you could try suggesting some kind of function that isn't already taken care of by another existing wood type in game, although even then Rolf may decide to just add the functionality to an existing wood type instead of making new tree models and textures, new felled tree models and textures, new stump models and textures, new log models and textures, then coding all of them, then coding in the new wood type and coding it's functionality, as well as all the interactions between all of these items and every other already-existing entity that can interact with them

Edited by MisterTeddy

I am always up for more tree varieties being added to Wurm, so hickory, sure. Mainly I like to see them growing though and am not much concerned about their uses in other ways.

=Ayes=

Because hickory is used for its shock resistance, using a hickory tool would reduce the amount of stamina lost per action. This would have a result similar to a mild WoA enchantment in that you would be able to do more work over time; your action timer would remain shorter when queuing multiple actions.