Sign in to follow this  
Nekojin

There's theft, and then there's THEFT...

You thought a cart with horses attached was an abandoned cart?  Really?  You are being purposefully obtuse and using "scavenging" as an excuse to take stuff that doesn't belong to you.  I agree, there is a lot of abandoned everything in this game and it can be a little difficult to discern the difference, but a cart with horses is not abandoned.  If it were truly abandoned then the horses would be dead and I think you know that. 

I have seen it before, Many times, Hardly matter though, I never claimed that it was an excuse. Hell literally right down the road from my house is an abandoned cart with 2 horses on it. It has been there for like 2 weeks. Its locked so no one can grab it. I digress though. I was throwing in what I said for convo purposes. I do not feel guilty and do not need an excuse. It is the way the game is. I had my first two mines stolen by people building a fence around the area and digging into he mine on the side of the entrance. Hell if I was malicious like he said I could have just kept going with his cart instead of giving it back., There are no rules against it.

Edited by sharanakat

You thought a cart with horses attached was an abandoned cart?  Really?  You are being purposefully obtuse and using "scavenging" as an excuse to take stuff that doesn't belong to you.  I agree, there is a lot of abandoned everything in this game and it can be a little difficult to discern the difference, but a cart with horses is not abandoned.  If it were truly abandoned then the horses would be dead and I think you know that. 

Honestly he doesn't need an "excuse".  Just lock your carts people.  Honestly how hard is it?

I could understand if we were talking about players who didn't know better.  But I'm getting a little tired of seeing veterans who blatantly ignore mechanics designed to protect their property coming here and posting about how terrible it is that someone did something about it.  And that permissions are "flawed" because they couldn't be bothered to craft a lock, or thought it was a good idea to leave a fence unlocked on their deed.

Yes I would love to live in a world, and play in a game, where we could ignore fences and locks and go on like nothing bad will ever happen.  But that's just not realistic.

I'm not saying what he did was morally right.  I'm not "blaming the victims".  But come on, nobody wants to stand up and take responsibility for allowing this kind of thing to happen in the first place.

Proximo, I couldn't agree more.

But to be completely honest, I'm more tired of these thief threads on the forum than I am thieves themselves.

Deed, lock and hide your stuff if you don't want it stolen.  It really is that simple.  If you can't be bothered to do these simple things, then please don't bother crying on the boards about it, because the latter takes twice as long than it does to make a lock and attach it.

• Like 1

But to be completely honest, I'm more tired of these thief threads on the forum than I am thieves themselves.

Oh no!  And the EVIL people who want thieves gone FORCED you to read them!!!!! 

THE HORROR!!!!!!!!

SOMEONE REPORT THIS TO THE ICC!!!!!! -.-

You thought a cart with horses attached was an abandoned cart?  Really? 

There's a wagon parked near my deed, that's been there for 5 or 6 rl months now.  At first it had 3 horses (owner must have rode off on the 4th).  Wagon is locked, permissions set to not allow anyone to embark as driver.  The 2 horses are still there, yet you can't inspect them so I don't think they're really there.  The wagon is nearing 40% damage now.  So it does happen.

I wish, like deeds with no upkeep, if an owner doesn't log in for a set amount of days (60?), any boats, carts, wagons or bsb/fsb they've planted and their bldg is already gone,that they decay rapidly.  There's so much junk lying around that you can't destroy/bash, etc, even if its on your deed.  The only thing you can do is move it off and let it decay.

Edited by Mitzie

I figure I should throw my two cents in. I thought it was just another random cart. I did not see him there and I was by water. I am a scavenger. I like finding half decayed places, Even if there is nothing there to loot I just enjoy the exploring. I honestly thought it was a throw away cart. Someone who brings a cart to the water, loads up a boat and leaves to another server never to return. I have seen that a lot. I digress however. If I had seen him I wouldnt have touched it.  There are an insane amount of abandoned carts, Hell if you go down the shore for a bit from your deed you will see a spot with about 6 large abandoned carts. (well they are empty, low ql, and there is a ship transporter there so I think they skipped town) I figure if a cart was not abandoned it would be locked. I do not think anyone did not lock there carts these days. Anyway if you like repercussions feel free to swipe anything of mine you can. I live by vrocks landing. I am my own mayor. 

Thank you for posting :)  I can see your side of the issue very much better now.

There's a wagon parked near my deed, that's been there for 5 or 6 rl months now. 

I know a cart on Xanadu that has sat by the highway at the steppes in one spot for over 8 months now. No deeds nearby, never moved. I once looked up the name of the cart owner as I was curious, and I think he had shown signs of disappearing from Wurm (used to speak in chat then fell silent one day and never popped up again.) The cart was locked. It originally had two "wild" grey horses attached. Over time, as I passed it sitting out in the lonely steppe, the horses gradually grew older and older. I think if it were possible for them to turn grayer, they would have.

I ran some new people past the spot last week. Only one horse is alive now. Venerable and alone. I am actually amazed at how patient that horse seems, like it is willing to wait for its master forever if it needs. I think it was last October-November I first saw them in that spot, I might poke through my logs and see if I can confirm that. Same cart, same spot, nothing around for a zillion miles.

I believe  sharanakat's  account of how he saw things. In addition, I know people who have deliberately taken all the locks off their large carts and set extra rowboats etc to "everyone" just before they left the server or game.  I remember when Deliverance first opened, there were all kinds of abandoned carts around Oak Harbor (Schiann's deed, and next door to mine) from people loading up their boats and leaving behind the carts and animals for anyone else to take, since they could not take animals across server lines. It felt like half the server was moving to Deliverance. 

Months later most of those carts were still there.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I know a cart on Xanadu that has sat by the highway at the steppes in one spot for over 8 months now. No deeds nearby, never moved. I once looked up the name of the cart owner as I was curious, and I think he had shown signs of disappearing from Wurm (used to speak in chat then fell silent one day and never popped up again.) The cart was locked. It originally had two "wild" grey horses attached. Over time, as I passed it sitting out in the lonely steppe, the horses gradually grew older and older. I think if it were possible for them to turn grayer, they would have.

I ran some new people past the spot last week. Only one horse is alive now. Venerable and alone. I am actually amazed at how patient that horse seems, like it is willing to wait for its master forever if it needs. I think it was last October-November I first saw them in that spot, I might poke through my logs and see if I can confirm that. Same cart, same spot, nothing around for a zillion miles.

I believe  sharanakat's  account of how he saw things. In addition, I know people who have deliberately taken all the locks off their large carts and set extra rowboats etc to "everyone" just before they left the server or game.  I remember when Deliverance first opened, there were all kinds of abandoned carts around Oak Harbor (Schiann's deed, and next door to mine) from people loading up their boats and leaving behind the carts and animals for anyone else to take, since they could not take animals across server lines. It felt like half the server was moving to Deliverance. 

Months later most of those carts were still there.

Heh, Hachiko... or the western version: Fry's dog Seymour in Futurama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GDil0rGls

OH GAWD THE FEELS!