Sign in to follow this  
Vanyel

Livestock Barge

I propose a new type of ship - the Livestock Barge.

This would allow players to load Livestock animals (horses, cows, bulls, bison, sheep, hens etc) but not tamed/controlled monster types, and transport them around the server.

Would have the same control requirements of a sailing ship or possibly a large cart so as to be newby friendly, but would require not only ship building, but animal handling skill to create.

Pros:

- find a sheep on a small island? load it up and take it home!

- this would expand the business of animal breeders, making delivery much easier.

- Barges would not be able to cross server borders and can only be used on the server it was built on

- would make collecting animals a viable past-time/activity

- allows 'rescue' of animals locked on islands from old collapsed deeds

Cons:

- Barges would not be able to cross server borders and can only be used on the server it was built on (yes, this is both a pro and a con)

- would be premium only to use

Thoughts and constructive comments appreciated. 

• Like 11

Id be happy with anything allowing for transporting critters across waters.

Though ideally I'd prefer a more ambiguous, less specialized approach. For example a cargo barge would be awesome, massive hold and medium to slow speed, especially if it can be towed.

Animal wise... something involving crates, maybe even an animal bulk bin-like thing:

Live_Animals_2.309130316_large.jpg

Course there's other ways such can be handled, even having loaded animals take up player slots.

Personally I believe animals should be shippable across server borders, especially bred horses. I do extensive traveling on business and unique hunts, and not being able to bring horses (among other critters) across deed borders is a real pain.

+1 except i think shipbuilding skill is enough for it to be created, no need for animal handling skill to participate in creating it, i assume you're refering to animal husbandry

I'm not sure which way to think on this with respect to PvP. On one hand it'd be nice to drag our hell horses to places easier, on the other hand so can the enemy.

I kind of like the challenge of critter logistics when visiting enemy lands.

I'm not sure which way to think on this with respect to PvP. On one hand it'd be nice to drag our hell horses to places easier, on the other hand so can the enemy.

I kind of like the challenge of critter logistics when visiting enemy lands.

I was thinking of this from a PvE perpective, as thats the realm(s) I play on.....

no thank you to this.

I prefer that we put an animal in a animal crate and then load that onto any vehicle/ship large enough to hold it. Animals definitely need to cross server boarders also.

+1 for moving animals across water, though I think the "livestock crate" suggestion floated in the replies to this thread would be better, allowing any ship large enough to carry the crates to use them.

Another thing that bears pointing out (yet again) is that the devs really ought to check their facts when deciding whether a particular animal can swim or not. Most of the things that can't in wurm, can in RL. For example cows and sheep can swim very well, for long distances; an ability that is utilized by farmers to move them to new grazing land to this day - back and forth from small coastal islands, and across flood plains. Won't go into that too much as there are several threads about this already!

Moving animals across servers will not work becuase of the animal caps on each.   I have this vision of someone crossing over to say Deliverance from Xanadu with 20 horses on the ship and all of a sudden 20 horses on Deliverance just drop dead.    There would need to be some serious working of codes.

+1 would help out with island life or places difficult to walk too.

Cool idea, although I wonder if it could further unbalance the already wonky spawns. Whelp, +1.

I would like to see this. I figure if Noah can transport livestock why cant we.

+1

Edited by DropDeadFred