Sign in to follow this  
Mark

I found all of your cows, Bulls, Horses and Sheep, Xanadu

This is on the west coast of Xanadu. Might want to work on creature AI next.

oOnf4PQ.jpg

• Like 9

the north west coast you mean, there are crap for spawns south of f8 on the west coast

Xanadu east coast has mountains littered with them too

GFt2htr.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like these animals are having "rock" Party's :)

• Like 1

You would think that it wouldnt be so hard to change the AI so that mobs dont end up on slopes like this. But apparently its a very hard problem to solve since we have had this problem for ages.

• Like 1

I think they have a water AI that makes them run from water then a down AI that makes them go down off steep mountains so they are stuck in an endless loop running up and down the mountains, lol

Hey fence the mountain and instant herd. That's a lot of hide. Notice how they stay out of the trees?

Edited by Clatius

All I know is it really, REALLY sucks living in the effected area of this bug (Far south east), I really want to grind my NS skill, but getting enough animal bits to grind healing covers is quite a bit more difficult when you have to sail for hours just to get to the animals... :(

As I said in a previous post, I do not think it is possible for them to fix it, judging by the fact this issue has persisted from the very beginning of Xanadu and damn near NOTHING has been done or said about it despite so many players complaining and quitting because of it.

And now they are simply ignoring it, many WIP posts and complaint threads have passed without any official word...

Its really making me question why I give Rolf 25 bucks every month.

So whats up Devs, are you going to keep jerking us around?

Edited by Steeloxide

Xanadu's Mountain Bulls :P

Unfortunately its an old issue long predating Xanadu with several attempts at fixing, hence the current behavior of the AI in regards to mountains and water. If there was an easy fix, it would have been done years ago.

It just becomes grossly underscored on Xanadu with all of its mountains and general terrain.

Personally at this point, its starting to look like some roving GMs tasked with killing stuck wildlife might be a better fix.

I do recall talk of a critter spawn map being developed, don't recall if it was real-time or not.

Well there looks to be something wrong with the spawn too there. I guess animals should have a better chance to spawn when there are people around since there is no need spawning an animal out  where no one is at. I am not saying have them not spawn at all but there should be more of a chance to spawn if there is a player online in the area and a deed being near by should not matter any. 

I know that most of us stay on deed a lot of the time so i would be fine with things spawning close to my deed or even on it for that matter. I know that new players don't like that but that's what guard towers and spirit templars are for after all. 

Edited by Kegan

All I know is it really, REALLY sucks living in the effected area of this bug (Far south east), I really want to grind my NS skill, but getting enough animal bits to grind healing covers is quite a bit more difficult when you have to sail for hours just to get to the animals... :(

Howdy Neighbor! In the meantime, I have 47+ Nat Sub if you need something made. I know that doesn't help you increase your skill, but if you're having troubles making something I could be of assistance.

As for this thread...I've been pointing out the massive difference in the 'Please fix the Xanadu Spawn' thread numerous times. I'd even posted screenshots of all 4 directions off my deed. I was driving around in the forest again just TALKING with a guy...pausing/stopping, moving around randomly not even paying attention to my surroundings...talking to someone for nearly 2 hours. I ran into 1 hellhound, 1 bear, 2 wolves, 1 rooster, and 5 hens, and a seal as I was driving back on my deed. Total.

Should we be able to do that in Wurm? I guess the devs intention with this game was for it to just be a chat simulator.

I recently posted up my skills on that Niarja thing...and I have 4,009 (As of that point.) skill points. I mean, if this is the type of player you want to quit your game...sure. Keep it up. At this rate, I'll probably leave too.

Seems to me an enterprising player or three could put steps on that mountain and have their way with that crowd at their leisure. It would just take a little time to get it prepared but it would be a nice haul.

This is on the west coast of Xanadu. Might want to work on creature AI next again.

FTFY

I remember back a few years when they tried an AI fix and all the animals ended up in pools at the bottom of pits. Surely they can do better.

I bet if Wurm where to explain why this is such a problem many players could come up with some solutions. Heck there are quite a few people who could even make some simple example models from java/python/javascript to showcase their solution.

So what's the problem Wurm?

1. Does it have something to do with additional potential database queries as animal AI takes into consideration more environmental variables (terrain slope, proximity to deed/player/roads)

2. Given that there seems to be a point at which too many creatures causes excessive lag this lends to the idea that more complicated AI code could result in a similar situation. What I see is that animals/mobs seems to be very simple. They don't have stamina and are not affected by stamina related things like a character. They move unrestricted over any terrain. It would be useful to know why they a so simple.

While I'm on this subject it would be useful to know how Wurm feels about the peaceful versus threatening environment scenarios. It is possible to make a animal AI system that could provide both peaceful areas for those that want it and good hunting areas for other types of players. Although, at times it almost feels like Wurm doesn't care what its customers want and crams the threatening environment down everyone's throat. I don't know if this is because they don't have the time or means to entertain options or if its simply because Wurm wants something and is going to do it regardless

Wurm are you willing to take seriously solutions that would provide both peaceful and threatening experiences for players? 

Why not allow animals have stamina drain like we do, they run out of it and fall down those mountains. If they fall into water they drown and re-spawn elsewhere. Or even give them stamina drain on a certain slope. I am not sure how they will fix this problem it cant be an easy fix if it has gone on this long.

Mavv

I understand the reason against the stamina question is a server lag issue... vastly more calculations if they had to track each animal individually like that.

One thing that would help the problem (but not fix it) is to use the already-existing "prey flee" scripting, which makes some passive mobs like deer run away from players, and apply it so that all passive mobs "run away" from all aggressive mobs, and perhaps even have smaller "predators" try to keep some distance away from larger predators when they're not chasing a player.

• Like 4

I"m pretty sure spawning a new creature is far easier and more efficient than making complex cat and mouse pathing algorithms so AI entities can play the chase game with each other.

Frankly the AI killing AI is dumb and should be removed (with the exception of guards that players buy or command). Wurm obviously doesn't have the means to deliver content to players when it comes to this subject. Based on this lack they definitely shouldn't be wasting computing resources to have AI chase/flee/kill each other. It is an interesting concept but Wurm needs to service its customers before it goes off on tangents and wastes resources.

When i travel by sea, all i see on mountainsides are animals, just like OP`s picture. It makes me sad

One thing that would help the problem (but not fix it) is to use the already-existing "prey flee" scripting, which makes some passive mobs like deer run away from players, and apply it so that all passive mobs "run away" from all aggressive mobs, and perhaps even have smaller "predators" try to keep some distance away from larger predators when they're not chasing a player.

Xanadu is already laggy enough :P

They've had code in the past that made the creatures scan all other creatures around them (auto-breeding on JKH...) and it caused massive lag.

It seem like when they meet a barrier the path finding code gets stupid. "If you can't go any farther then stop and say wtf until the barrier is removed".