Sign in to follow this  
Jarosz

Placer Mining gravel deposits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placer_mining

The idea would be pretty simply, combine water with gravel and get small amounts of random QL metals, and the occasional gemstones.

benefits:  diggers can find fun stuff!

could also add a gold pan, and additional means of prospecting skill gain.

• Like 2

Purely for the bonus use of the prospecting skill, +1.

I would definitely make use of this.

Sort of like foraging for ores/flint/salt.

Edited by Outlaw

Not to mention possibly using it to locate nearby veins without having to dig down to rock.

But sure pans, classifiers, and sluice boxes.

Granted these are more modern designs; however, the basics haven't changed at all over the centuries.

Sluice box placed in water:

sluice_a52_keene.png

"Highbanker" sluice box (modern ones use pumps; however, there's other ways to get the water in.)

RD-MH58.JPG

Most modern pans are a durable type of plastic, so not many familiar these days with using metal ones. New metal pans were actually not as prized as "seasoned" ones. Once they achieved a certain patina, it made it easier to see gold flecks. Plus the rusting and pitting helped to trap the gold. Plastic pans have to add ridges in the mold to be as effective. Panning motions can differ a little as well.

Also there's methods for dry panning without water. Having grown up in Western Oregon, I have no hands-on practice with dry panning; however, I understand its a similar process to panning with water. There's some videos on Youtube too.