Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Tunnel vs Surface Mine (in water)

This is not a bug but i would call it a game mechanics problem...

I was putting in a boat mine entrance today on my deed and i discovered the hard way that i could surface mine two dirt/slope lower than the game allows us to tunnel in water.  Luckily I could still use concrete to get the tile back high enough to be allowed to tunnel again but if not i would have been really upset right now, lol

edit: I guess it should be either reversed or made to be the same height so others do not run into this problem. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

I wonder if being able to surface mine/ tunnel boat mine entrances lower would lessen the problems with ships entering the mines.

Shallow draft Knarrs and rowboats run thru old entances smoothly now.

I am not sure what the depth was it was like 25 maybe for the surface mining restriction and then 23 for tunnel something real close to that anyway.  I for sure know that i surface mined till i could not mine anymore then i had to use two concrete before i was able to tunnel again.

I am not sure what the new boat depths are but i guess it would be helpful to make them pass above that mining/tunnel restriction though. I do think a lot of the trouble with them is from the width of the boat and not so much the depth when it comes to cave canals but i am new to all this cave canal stuff so...idk

Edited by Kegan

Okay i have more to update about this...

After opening the mine tunnel up i stopped working on the project till today. Well now i have mined into the area from the inside and was going to open the tile that the tunnel was on the other side of to connect the two but i got the error message that the water was to deep to mine even though i was standing on a tile that was at least 10 dirt/slope above water. I went to the outside into the tunnel and i got the same message on the other side of the tile too. 

If you are going to let us make a tunnel then why should we be stopped from mining in forward once it is open?  I cant imagine that this was like this before i know there are many deep mine canals/entrances around so i am guessing that something must have changed. I guess after i take a little break and cool off some i will open an in-game support so a GM can come look at it. 

Edit: Here is a screenshot of the mine entrance as you can see it is not even that deep about 25 dirt/slope i guess..

3okNKfM.jpg

Edited by Kegan

Well i collapsed the entrance and mined out the one tile from the inside then tunneled back in again and finally have the entrance done.  It was still a lot of trouble to do this when it does not need to be.  When you have some time you might look into making changes to this since the depth restrictions are all over the place..

• Surface mine needs to be stopped at or before the tunnel depth restriction
  • mine forward and up should be set to 20-25 dirt lower then the tunnel restriction so you can mine up or forward once you get the entrance open
  • all of this should allow for a depth that all the boats can pass without any troubles. 

What a lesson this has all been and this does not need to be such a hassle we have enough of that anyway, lol

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1