Sign in to follow this  
Sila

no news today

In the last news update they indicated they would be skipping a few weeks if there weren't lot of interesting things to talk about. Devs are largely on vacation.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 1

Why?

Why are people craving the need to see news. You'll get news when you get news. Every single time......

• Like 3

Why would they bother making a news thread if they did nothing? I personally prefer no thread at all than Wossoo putting a few pics on a thread and calling it news

• Like 1

But they are so beautiful...

As people said, we're at that point in the development year that things are slowing down so there's nothing much to report. May be occasional community news things maybe in future weeks but for the next few weeks or so there won't be much news.

• Like 1

I personally feel like the weekly news gives us a sense of new things to come.  It keeps us interested by giving tidbits.  I do look forward to it, even if not much to report on.  Maybe if someone wanted to do interim news with some stories on player made items and uses???  I know we have screen shots thread,  but something more. I have no idea what, just a thought.

• Like 1

haud novus est bonus novus

no news is good news

True, but I'll raise you a

" unreported news, is always bad news"

Updates are nice to see, updates we don't see are usually bugs.

I personally feel like the weekly news gives us a sense of new things to come.  It keeps us interested by giving tidbits.  I do look forward to it, even if not much to report on.  Maybe if someone wanted to do interim news with some stories on player made items and uses???  I know we have screen shots thread,  but something more. I have no idea what, just a thought.

We're aiming to do one or two news posts over the next few weeks with community stuff, but there won't be enough on a few weeks. On the one hand, regularity is good, but on the other, we don't want to waste people's time by putting out a news post with basically nothing in it, and so a summer break doesn't hurt. :)

we don't want to waste people's time by putting out a news post with basically nothing in it

We are going to waste our time looking anyways, obviously. A news post that reads...

"Devs on vaca, nothing to report... oh, we found expired yogurt in the lounge fridge. Bye!"

... would be better than nothing, and wouldn't waste your time responding to the 'where's the news?!' Threads ;)

no news is good news? then why do I have these shakes ...

In a game like this I am surprised that news is so narrowly defined as only stuff coming from development.

What about the players who make the game come to life? In slower dev news weeks why not interview some of the players out there who are doing things in game - could be a master enchanter like Odynn or a merchant princess like Booski or perhaps someone who just built a 24,000 mortar huge bridge. Maybe the quiet hermit hidden away on a completely isolated mountain, the sailing trader or even the brand new person who has been in game two days and ran into a dragon while out exploring for the first time.

How about some treasure hunt news. Describe what a treasure hunt is like (use an already completed one like the exodus or release hunts).

If the intent of the news is to give the game a more living environment then please don't limit yourselves to only the development side of the game. As you have done with screenshots start sharing the players with us too.

How about a "Places to see in Wurm" - treasure hunts are starting to showcase special places on each server. Bring those places out of hiding.

News is a powerful way to increase sense of community. People already like and look forward to reading it weekly. Give them something to make the wait worth it for them.

Just a suggestion.....

• Like 5

In a game like this I am surprised that news is so narrowly defined as only stuff coming from development.

What about the players who make the game come to life? In slower dev news weeks why not interview some of the players out there who are doing things in game - could be a master enchanter like Odynn or a merchant princess like Booski or perhaps someone who just built a 24,000 mortar huge bridge. Maybe the quiet hermit hidden away on a completely isolated mountain, the sailing trader or even the brand new person who has been in game two days and ran into a dragon while out exploring for the first time.

How about some treasure hunt news. Describe what a treasure hunt is like (use an already completed one like the exodus or release hunts).

If the intent of the news is to give the game a more living environment then please don't limit yourselves to only the development side of the game. As you have done with screenshots start sharing the players with us too.

How about a "Places to see in Wurm" - treasure hunts are starting to showcase special places on each server. Bring those places out of hiding.

News is a powerful way to increase sense of community. People already like and look forward to reading it weekly. Give them something to make the wait worth it for them.

Just a suggestion.....

Thank you nappy you made my day :)

I completely agree showing the screen shot of the week is a good start. I have been playing roughly 2+ years now and I still shuttle friends back to pristine to show them places I was amazed by ( .dk's maze on pristine) which was sadly turning green last time I went out but in the falling if that I am erecting my own maze bigger and better to go along with the market. Also interviews with some of the old school players would be fun ask what keeps them around after so long ect. This would be a good job for the new PR team

Boo

• Like 1

Why no news Wosso? WHY ? W H Y ? 

/me sobs.

• Like 2

Why no news Wosso? WHY ? W H Y ? 

/me sobs.

Maybe if you spelled his name right, he'll listen more often ;)

• Like 2

They could do this....they could do that....we the community can do these things too.  Make your own news! :P

I agree, some news, no matter how "unimportant" or silly or "few" it is, are better than nothing :)

because "nothing" makes people feel uneasy, that something might be wrong, we have a tendency to always imagine the worst and even though in our minds we can clearly say that logically wurm will not "vanish" anytime soon, but when it comes to game development in alot of games "no news" was indeed the first Indicator that something is wrong. 

Also "nothing much happening the next weeks" is NOT "nothing at all will happen" and every tiny bit could actually help players to feel important :) 

They could do this....they could do that....we the community can do these things too.  Make your own news! :P

ehm well, yes, perhaps good idea, but I'm not sure, how viable will be such unofficial news ... maybe in good hands it has decent chance to keep position somewhere on top of screen

btw, are you already gathering some News team, or by "we community" you rather thought "they community" ? :P

Because no news is good news?

proverb:

without information to the contrary you can assume that all is well.

=Ayes=

• Like 1