Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

Is this worth doing?

hello its me !!.

so since the new map dumps came out i been considering doing something to update the old map dump with the terrain changes the new one has, without adding all the roads and other useless crap that new map dump has. so now i made a small piece of the map as a test for people to see. so i dont waste my time doing the whole map if its not going to be used.

old map dump

7xIjPcM.jpg

new map dump

CUU5uqT.jpg

my test dump

cMA9gyF.jpg

so give your opinion about it :D

• Like 2

Not sure why you think having the roads and buildings show on a map is "useless crap".  This may be a good idea to the pvp servers, where they don't want details to show, but a waste of time for pve maps.

because it makes the comunity maps look horrible,thats the reason they still use the old map dumps.

I like it! I think it would be great. Could shift the new map you make to the community map. Would fix some issues people have been having.

Again, not sure who you mean by "they".  I use the latest mapdump, as it is more up to date with all changes.  Maps are supposed to show you where everything is at.  A map that only shows part of the picture would be rather useless to me.  You want to know where the roads are, as you often are looking for a road when lost in the woods.  It also helps a lot to know where fences are and where you need to go to get around them.  The mapdump has some issues with the "tilt" it has, but Rolf has always had problems with that part so I'm used to it.

• Like 1

So, what's the point of a map if it's not going to show what's there? Roads and buildings have terraformed the land and that should be showed, especially since it's what most people navigate by.

you folks are missing the point but nicrolis got it.

its not about using this alone but using it for the comunity maps,where roads  and deeds are already marked in a more clear way

and "they" as in the people updating the comunity maps

Edited by Tpikol

This looks like a great idea to me, thank you for thinking of this.  It has been quite some time since the community maps have had an updated mapdump integrated.

I think it could be quite helpful. I'm used to not paying much attention to roads and buildings on maps, for the simple reason that I know those will be endlessly changed, and I could completely missread where I am if I navigated mainly on those. What I do (mainly) use, because it's much less prone to often almost monthly unrecognisable changes, are the terrain-features, landshapes, landmarks. However those too become less useful over time (albeit much slower) and an update such as this would remedy that, would refresh the less-changing 'underlayer' on which the fast-changing things get built and made.