Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

Thoughts on bridges

After the few weeks since they were released, all I can say is they were nowhere near ready to be released. They were not tested enough and there doesn't seem to be enough dedicated and forceful bug fixing going on since release. I and others have complained about not being able to pick up items from them, animals being lost leading on them, gates not working near them, houses not working near them, yet weeks later, everything complained about in the first week is still there. In some cases, they are worse. They brought about the booted from the cart regularly feature, as if it wasn't bad enough already. 

Thoughts on why they were not tested properly is probably because of amongst the people I know who tried to test them on the test server, most of them experienced PvP ganks, thefts, break-ins, and destruction and gave up testing anything. The devs did a great effort to test but you can't thoroughly test anything but combat in a PvP environment. 

TLDR: They needed to be put off another year or 5.

• Like 2

Another year of hearing bridges are coming soon?  You must want a riot...

Thoughts on why they were not tested properly is probably because of amongst the people I know who tried to test them on the test server, most of them experienced PvP ganks, thefts, break-ins, and destruction and gave up testing anything. The devs did a great effort to test but you can't thoroughly test anything but combat in a PvP environment.

Not true, the last bridge test server was a freedom one, no PvP....

Edited by bigsteve

They had to release them, ready or not. All games have to generate new major content or simply fade away. Bridges were so far overdue that many had lost all confidence in Wurm's viability to survive and grow. Do or die, as they say.

Are they buggy as hell? Nahjo yes! But bugs can be fixed, even if it takes a few years... and it will... just like most bugs. If the bug isn't making someone rich or level 100,then we can expect years for the fixes. Or the fixes will be replacing one bug with 3 new bugs.

But bridges aren't going anywhere.

They work good enough for me to cross.

Not true, the last bridge test server was a freedom one, no PvP....

I guess they gave up before that happened. I myself gave up testing long before bridge testing.

They work good enough for me to cross.

Until you come to a gate at the end of one that won't open because it's bugged.

Ofcourse there are bugs..what did you expect,they would come out perfect and bug free? have patience,the true test is on live servers. As long you can cross over a huge river/lake,they are helping alot!

In the mean time, just don't build gates at the ends?

It'll get fixed, might just take a while in true Wurm fashion.

Delaying it another year or two wasn't an option.

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of them , much more so than when I first head about them as a newbie 3 years ago :o . Yes they have some issues, and we all knew there was a good chance of that. All I can say is like with anything else decide if they are worth it for you to play with at this time. If not, then leave them be until more bugs are fixed.

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 3

For the most part the bridges I have used while recently traveling the length and breadth of the freedom servers have been fairly problem free.

Granted the majority of my travels have been sailing around with some travel on foot (I'll be really happy if cross-server animal shipping or animal-shipping in general ever becomes a thing); though, have had no issues sailing under bridges. Not even issues when crossing bridges on foot.

There have been plans to incorporate bridges into pvp defenses; though, I have yet to see the results of them being used in actual pvp yet.

There have been plans to incorporate bridges into pvp defenses; though, I have yet to see the results of them being used in actual pvp yet.

Maybe people are too scared to incorporate them incase their 'defense system' is classed as bug abuse. I don't know anything about deed defense, but surely bridges should have a few uses. Maybe the reason we don't see many being used yet is that it would require a deed to be rebuilt from the ground up, designed to incorporate bridge defenses from the beginning and that pre-existing deeds don't lend themselves to bridges too well.

Very limited experience here, but I've attempted to ride a horse onto 2 different bridges which resulted in getting knocked off and stuck and having to reconnect both times. Not a huge fan yet.

I have built six of them and i have not had any trouble with any of mine yet.  (no gates but one did back up to a double door on both ends)

Edited by Kegan

PVP player complaining that people found a way to use bridges in PVP.

Film at 11!

HMMMMMM.  Bridges = crossing an obstacle/or creating a ramp to another elevation.  Everyone Ive built and I have been involved and some rather large bridges perform the function they are designed for perfectly fine. And I have used them with horses, walking, building to building, building to ground, on carts, wagons, running a boat into one (Once).  Overall I am very happy with them... this lack of testing must be some figment of your imagination as the number of bugs seems to be very small. 

..nothing to see here.  Just a whiner getting thier whine on. 

Edited by Drpox

HMMMMMM.  Bridges = crossing an obstacle/or creating a ramp to another elevation.  Everyone Ive built and I have been involved and some rather large bridges perform the function they are designed for perfectly fine.    ..nothing to see here.  Just a whiner getting thier whine on. 

Yeah, and your car can get you to the liquor store with four flat tires. The point is they don't work. If you get unlucky enough to get tossed from your cart on any of the 3 I have been using, you need a GM to get your cart back.

Just an ###### getting thier douhce on? Unless they are designed to trap carts, unlead animals and let them fall through into the water, and not be able to reach anything placed on them because they aren't on the same bridge you are with the things right between your feet.

Edited by Audrel

Again.if you do not like their current functionality, then do not use them.The are certainly not mandatory.

A bit late now that they are built and bashing one is a lifetime goal. But since expecting a game developer to release something that works is whining, I guess it's all moot. Even the bugs have bugs in this game any more, but the fanbois will rally, eh Drpox, and settle for mediocracy while debasing anyone who dares complain. There are always two thing you can count on here; bugs and derailment committee. God forbid anyone want something to be fixed.

Modded

Edited by Drpox
  • Like 2