Sign in to follow this  
vasisuelle

Writing farewell letter - need your advice

Ey fellow wurmians! 

Leaving my current employer soon, so I was thinking about writing neutral farewell letter. Grammar corrections and advices are appreciated. 

It is going to be something like:

Dear colleagues, 

from %date%, I won't provide technical support anymore due to reduction of personnel.

In case of technical problems - suffer.

Any corrections/advices?

• Like 5

In case of technical problems - have fun solving them.

I know this is meant to be a fun post as an outlet for frustration you must be feeling, but no matter what, be sure to part on the best terms possible.  The people that had to let you go, the people you work with and anyone they may talk to there are ALL probably going to work somewhere else some day.  A year from now... 5 years... whenever, you will be looking for a job or promotion and one of those people will see you and go "ah, that guy was laid off, but he was a class act.  Let's give him a shot".

I've seen so many people go out with a bang and get crippled career wise after.

• Like 1

I know this is meant to be a fun post as an outlet for frustration you must be feeling, but no matter what, be sure to part on the best terms possible.  The people that had to let you go, the people you work with and anyone they may talk to there are ALL probably going to work somewhere else some day.  A year from now... 5 years... whenever, you will be looking for a job or promotion and one of those people will see you and go "ah, that guy was laid off, but he was a class act.  Let's give him a shot".

I've seen so many people go out with a bang and get crippled career wise after.

Or maybe "In case of technical difficulties I'm available for an hourly wage of 30% more than I used to make plus travel compensation"

• Like 1

IMHO it would be proffesional to indicate who takes your responsibilities:

In case of technical problems, please contact Jack Jackson (jack.jackson@some.where)

• Like 1

in case of problems try turning it off and on again

• Like 1

In case of technical problems - hire one the thousands of people out of work that would be thankful to have a job, lol

:D I see you guys like last sentence. But what about first one? 

To me it looks not so formal. Maybe

starting %date%, I will no longer provide technical support due to ...

would be more formal and a bit better?

Actually you may skip the "due to..." part if it's formal. Hey, I know how it feels to get dismissed, but in no time, sitting at your great new job, you'll look back and regret showing any emotions. Just keep cool, nobody cares to be honest, so don't give them any burden.

Ey fellow wurmians! 

Leaving my current employer soon, so I was thinking about writing neutral farewell letter. Grammar corrections and advices are appreciated. 

It is going to be something like:

Dear colleagues, 

from %date%, I won't provide technical support anymore due to reduction of personnel.

In case of technical problems - suffer.

Any corrections/advices?

Dear colleagues,

Effective %date% I will be unable to continue to provide you with technical support.

In case of technical problems I have found many answers by using Google.

:)

• Like 3

About 5 years ago my position was cut due to politics/budget/etc. I was given an option to stay in a makeshift position but cbose not to due to the 'srep backwards' feel of it. A year later that contract changed and took a BIG step down so, while at the time I was somewhat upset, I now look at it as God saying "really, you don't want to be here in a year so we're gonna move you now!"

It will get better :)

Also, previous advice of "don't burn your bridges' is always the smart way to go... these days, everybody knows everybody!