Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

No Rare Rolls

You cherrypick posts that agree with you and ignore ones which says that they've got rare rolls. That's the problem.

[01:41:17] You have a moment of inspiration...
[01:41:17] You mine some ore.

[02:15:10] You have a moment of inspiration...
[02:15:10] You mine some ore.

[02:24:11] You have a moment of inspiration...
[02:24:11] You mine some ore.

still working fine for me, semi-afk grinding mining

You cherrypick posts that agree with you and ignore ones which says that they've got rare rolls. That's the problem.

So when only some people had connection problems, does that mean no one should have looked into it? A problem doesn't need to affect everyone for it to bug.

So when only some people had connection problems, does that mean no one should have looked into it? A problem doesn't need to affect everyone for it to bug.

Connection problems stop people from accessing a service which they've paid for; rare rolls are based on luck and chance and does not stop you from playing.

I've had a few rare rolls today as I'm sure other people have as well.

Seems to be a big discrepancy between those that get rare rolls and those that dont, But this discussion is irrelevant and pointless while it is being ignored by the devs and Rolf as usual in Wurm.

• Like 3

Yup, in the Summer of bug fixing I'd expect to at least get some sort of response from a dev or Rolf.

I would like to point out, it's not really random (like casting), so don't confuse the two. Rolf himself stated that there is a 50/50 chance to get a rare roll each hour. With a 20 second rare window (using deed sac'n bonus), that means there are only 180 rare windows to hit each hour. Using Woa tools it's easy to do actions under 20 seconds. Problem with missing a 20 second window comes if you do 4 tempers or 4 Iron imps in a row without getting your stamina back. My third temper or iron imp is 17 seconds. Now I'm not saying I don't miss the odd 20 second window each hour. But even missing 2 , it's only a 1.1% chance that I missed the actual window that would have caused the Rare roll.  To miss 40 or 50 hours in a row would be astronomically against the odds, therefor it has to be a bug.  I would also like to point out that during one of those public question sessions that Rolf and the staff hosted here, I specifically asked if having higher skills has any effect on the amount of rare rolls you get. Rolf responded with something like, "it's the same for everybody".  If that is true, then this is a bug.  If that is not true, then Rolf flat out lied.

Edited by Gumbo

The frustrating thing for me is the fact that since the announcement of WU, Literally everything has stopped regarding WO apart from very minor bug fixes, The news gets more and more vague as there is nothing to say because nothing has been done.

WO pays the bills but yet again Rolf has his shiny new project and everything else gets ignored.

Lots of gamers check out a games forum or reviews to see how buggy a game is before spending money on it. The ones who check this games forum bug section will take one look, then move on to the next game. Not many want to deal with such a bug fest as we have here. Add in that there doesn't even seem to be any staff addressing most of the posts here and I'd think the game has been abandoned by the staff (yes occasionally I see a staff response but the replies are more oriented to the Community Assistance section).  IMO every post in the bug section should be addressed by a staffer in a relatively short amount of time, a week at maximum. That staffer should be saying crap like, "we're aware of that bug and working on it"... or "I'll pass this on to the bug people to look into" ... or "This is not a bug".  etc.. here, ignoring folks is the main response. At least with some response the players can then follow up and say it's been X amount of time, have you found anything?  Ignoring seems to be the way to handle things here, that way they're not locked into any time frame and don't have to follow up on anything if they don't want to.

Anyway, I shall once again continue to bump this post until the staff decide to finally look into it. Waiting 3+ months for a response is ridiculous and the staffers should be ashamed.

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 3

It's very difficult if not impossible to test some things.  This happens to be one of them that I cannot help with at all.

However, I can tell you this - which is not consistent with your experience (on Independence):

My husband last week got a rare chisel when imping.

Tonight he got a supreme pickaxe while imping.

What he normally does is terraform a bit while it's light out, then when it gets dark he smiths for a while.  Tonight he terraformed for about an hour, then picked me some lavender sprouts, then went into his Foundry to smith.  30 minutes after imping, he got the supreme.

2 weeks ago I got rare floorboards, rare fruitpress, rare planks.  This does not include the rare dirt, ore and sprouts that we seem to get more often than items, so I won't muddy this thread with those.

So we have two conflicting results here in live experiences:

You have not gotten a rare in forever - I believe you.

We've gotten rare and supremes all along - I've seen them.

I can't test this at all - rare is not something I can control so I can't confirm or deny the status of this at all.

When I see something in these boards that I can test and verify as good or bad, I do so.  Most things I cannot.  However, the devs do read the boards and often fix things without posting here or elsewhere.

• Like 3

It's not about getting rares, it's about getting the rolls.

I hate to tell you this, but I may have an answer about why you aren't getting rare rolls.  You are using using high ql tools with WOA on them.  I have skills similar to yours, and use high ql tools, but I never bother with WOA on them.  It seems that WOA is not only a skillgain killer, but it makes your timers too short for rare rolls.  Give it a try using tools without WOA and see if it changes things for you.

I'll try that on my next grind session, thx.  But I use a woa pick (under 3 seconds), get lots of rare rocks.. use a woa shovel, get lots of rare dirts. My woa pelt and whetstone give me about 7/8 second actions. If something like this is in game, it may put a bit of a damper on priests that cast WoA, or that combo chant. Also, there's a dozen others here with this problem, not sure if they too were using woa tools.

From personal experience it seems to eliminate rare rolls if you are grinding solidly, When I'm out and about I'll get rare rocks, rare dirt, rare bricks, as soon as i sit down to a 10 hour session at the forge I get 0 rolls. It would seem then to me that there is a vastly reduced rare roll rate from improving actions, the worst part is when you actually get the roll you only have like 1/10 chance to actually rare the item, yet you can sit and create for hours and pop out rares like a hen popping out eggs

• Like 1

I've once grinded platesmithing for 6 hours all night long no rolls, then moved on to two steel mine doors, and turned both rare.

I think it's just really random.

If I blacksmith like all day long, and I do mean all day, morning to night, I'll usually turn an item or two rare. 

Rares shouldn't be something you expect to get, or think you deserve after x amount of time, they should be... well.... rare?

• Like 1

Alectrys I appreciate you responding and understand you can not test this for obvious reasons, But what I would like to see is a response from an actual Dev even if its to say its working as intended or we are looking into it, Like Gumbo stated this thread is 3 months old and until now we have had no word from anyone.

• Like 2

During my day job we are developing a gaming system with a similiar rng and a million factors involved in getting "rare" like functionality. And I must confess, it's the hardest, if not most impossible thing to test. I am writing a hackjob daemon that spawns rapidly, and avoid 'wait'timers, and just SPAMS the crap out of the system to detect these rare-like events (records the inputs, and measures the occurences). It's still hard, and I don't think we're being screwed here on purpose, it would be a blatant, unforgivable accusation to make.

BUT, i have seen less rare rolls too (ok given, I spend most of my time mining, stone cutting or woodworking, picking a gazillion sprouts, replanting and harvesting). I have had about 2 rare rolls in the last month. Not sure if it's significantly lower than usual, but it feels quite scarce imo. I produced a rare forge on one of them at least.

Can probably take Gumbo's word on it, it's pretty much what he does, so he would notice a change in frequency.

Also, would like to hear from stafflets about this, just an ACK on the situation would be nice guys :)

• Like 1