Sign in to follow this  
damine

veins

180px-Ironvein.jpg

Salt and Coal  Veins 

​there a real thing so why not in game

• Like 2

I like how....boldly(heh).......you addressed this issue but nah -1, there is a reason we have a coal making skill. As for salt, special tiles already drop it.

• Like 1

+1. Also, flint veins would be nice too.

there is a reason we have a coal making skill. 

I'm trying to understand what you're getting at here... Mining has nothing to do with coalmaking, and if someone wants to grind coalmaking, they will. Do the coal drops that are on critters negatively affect coalmaking? Nope, and this wouldn't either.

The only thing I can see it impacting is the market value of coal, which, imo, isn't a good enough excuse to shun the suggestion. Rolf and the dev team altered the market value of spyglasses, dragon armors, etc. without a problem... so, I don't think it's going to be the end of the world if coal prices end up dropping to 1s per 1k, like every other mat in this game.

• Like 1

Coal and charcoal are two very different things in terms of overall uses. Maybe the op wants burnable coal as a fuel resource, keeping charcoal in its separate unique state or perhaps I'm reading too deeply into this

• Like 1

Ah yes. This is interesting. It would seem some think charcoal and coal are one and the same. They are not. Charcoal is produced by removing water and volitile materials from vegetation or animal substances. Coke, which is the form of coal used in metallurgical processes, is derived from processing coal. Coal in it's raw form is not for making steel.

In game terms it would be easier to make charcoal from trees rather than making coke from coal if you are thinking in metallurgical terms. As a fuel wood is still easier since it is readily available. I see no advantage to having coal veins. It would be difficult to find and harder to mine than simply cutting down trees. Having said that, if you have that much time to burn, mining for fuel, when it's already abundant on the surface, knock yourself out. +1

Oops, forgot about salt. Game terms, it is far too rare. It should be much more plentiful. Finding it in bits here or there is probably less realistic than Unicorns. Salt veins or producing it using sea water would be a very good idea. Also, it should preserve food for much long than it does. A big +1

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 1

Coal and charcoal are two very different things in terms of overall uses. Maybe the op wants burnable coal as a fuel resource, keeping charcoal in its separate unique state or perhaps I'm reading too deeply into this

That's possible. I responded under the assumption that the OP meant charcoal. If he means coal for fuel, an entirely new item, I'd have to say that the devs have more important new items to be working on. We already have a ton of fuel sources - wood, peat, tar, fat, cloth, etc. 

+1

Interesting balance idea : Make salt appear only in "shallow" rock (so rock near water) and coal only appear in "deep" rock (rock inland).  Tradable commodities.

+1

This is a great idea especially since salt has become even more useful.  :D

Also the coal tiles would be good and make a lot of sense as well,  I doubt mine-able coal would have much of an impact on the already few coal sales as not everyone would have it (like slate and marble) but everyone can make it and at a predictable ql through skill level.  B)