Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

The Birth of the Drinker of Wind

Something I wrote in like 2010-11, whenever mounts and horses were added. At the time was reading some Bedouin stories and got an itch.

Do recall posting this in forums before; however, couldn't find the thread after coming across the Word doc file in some archives I keep. Apparently I also never bothered adding to wiki along with the others I did add.

Anyways... here it is in its entirety as I had originally made it.

Birth of the Drinker of Wind (Wurm Online fanfic)

Inspired by Bedouin myths

And so after the people of the kingdom of Fire had found favor in the eyes of Magranon, did the god appear in the southern desert. From long repose did he consider the Mol-Rehans as they spread from the western mountains into the surrounding steppe and deserts. Overtime a sand tornado errantly whirled into his face with great force, and with annoyance did Magranon brush it away. Again did the sand devil come, and again did the god flick it away.

Thrice did it return, and Magranon finally seized it. In the fires of his wrath did the flame of an idea take form. Thus did the god Magranon begin to work. The tornado gathered itself into the form of a prancing creature, its mane and tail flowing with marvelous speed into the dry desert winds. Into it did the god impart great strength and stamina. However the god became weary and left his unfinished work for rest.

Then did appear the goddess Vynora and the god Fo. Upon spying Magranon’s work did they consider it. Vynora finding it beautiful poured forth intelligence. Fo found nothing to give. They departed, seeking their brother deity. Drawn by the Three’s presence so close to her dominion did the dark goddess Libila appear. Finding instead Magranon’s abandoned work, she added a fragment of her own malevolence before vanishing.

Soon the Three returned discussing and debating among themselves. It was Magranon who first sensed the taint, and sought to destroy his creation utterly. However, Fo interceded and imparted unto the work some of his own gentleness, hoping such would help counter. Thus did Magranon name the creature the Drinker of Wind and set it forth unto the kingdom of Fire.

The people of Mol Rehan beheld the creature in awe. It somewhat resembled the unicorns; though, it showed far greater speed and endurance. Chasing led to not but only exhausted and beaten pursuers. Attempts to capture came to not but destroyed fences and nets. Some in their frustration sought to harm. Such came to not. Arrows easily avoided with a snort. Blade and hammer did not even come close.

Even methods of hunting unicorns did not succeed. True the creature could be lured by innocent maidens. Such came to not with an almost malicious glee as it turned every trap. With great disappointment and dejection were the attempts finally called off. However, over time similar creatures began to be born by the unicorns. They were far easier to handle; though, their sire was plain to see. These offspring came to be called “Equus†in the tongue of the Ageless, or “Horseâ€.

Long has sightings of the Drinker of Wind been; though, one can still hear the thunder of its hooves echoing across the Horseshoe Mountains. Only among the horses of Fire and Sand does its blood still flow strong.

• Like 3

This is good, love the descriptive reading. Have you considered writing more?