Sign in to follow this  
Caveman

Finding coastal land

Xanadu is so huge, I've seen lots of spots that need only a little tlc to be turned into decent deed spots. My coastal deed in Xanadu, I carved into the land and did lots and lots of surface mining. Mostly my only "gripe" is all the clay! lol

My coastal deed on Xan involved dropping allot of dirt. I consider it well worth it:),, keep looking as deeds drop spots open up all the time. I think there was even someone giving one away recently.

Set aside the fact that I was available to drop a token very early in Xanadu's release, a lot of digging, flatraising and surface mining went in to making our coastal deed.

I didn't do any counting, but guessing in the 10s of thousands range in dirt and probably close to 5k slope's worth of surface mining.

Edited by As_I_Decay

The only parts of a deed that have to be absolutely flat are where you build your buildings. I think that is worth keeping in mind. You could consider a tiered deed or make the whole thing sloped.

The only parts of a deed that have to be absolutely flat are where you build your buildings. I think that is worth keeping in mind. You could consider a tiered deed or make the whole thing sloped.

True words!

Sadly most of the deeds in Wurm are examples of total flatness, with all the beauty and elegance of an empty parking lot. And dirt walls of course, never forget the dirt walls. :)

• Like 2

Use the map dump. Make a list of places that are of interest and plan a sailing trip. Drop off alts in places you favor to build a 1x1 shack as a holder. Then just deed the one you want to keep.

Cliffs can be used if that's your thing. Personally I hate to see a coastal deed one level spilled into the sea and carved into half a mountain. That's why I use terraces.

I would agree that a lot of the coastline around certain areas of Xanadu have few flattish areas to them. I have only been around on the west coast of Xanadu but there I have found that certain regions are more flat than others, so according to that a person could get either impression.

I am with the terraced guys here, in that I have always found hillsides to be more attractive to building deeds than flat areas. I remember when my poor newbie guy placed his deed near Glasshollow he had to use climbing to both enter it from the east and get down to the shore on the west. Now finally with all the terraced terraforming done it has turned out quite well. I doubt however that in its original state many would have thought it a great spot to place a deed on a coastal section.

=Ayes=

There's some pretty decent coastal area around M8 on the map, but it needs some digging.

I've made my deed about 20 tiles away from the water and like 800 dirts up, the initial ramp down was a bit of a pain to make but the rest is pretty flat. Now with bridges it would be even easier i think.

The population is very sparse too, there's like 4 active players (including myself) living on the coast for many hundred tiles north/south.

Did you carve into the cliff surfacing mining it down or did you drop 10's of thousands of dirt in the sea to make your foundation? 

Neither. I made the area on top of the steep lake shore into a habitable area first and then made terraces towards the shore. But I also had flat areas near the shore to plant crops. There are still many, many perfect areas near shores for deeds. You just have to find them. Not only that, there are also a plethora of abandoned deeds along shores. You just have not looked long enough to find that mother lode of land that I have seen.

BTW, why do you want to move to a shoreline?

Also, when you say coast are you speaking of the sea or the many lakes that are inland on Xanadu. 

Edited by Sarcaticous

Take a journey down to the very Southern coast of Xanadu. Many areas suitable for deeds that have been disbanded or otherwise abandoned.

No wonder you couldn't find anything. You didn't even bother with the multitude of big lakes. Theres tons of very nice deed locations that need little to no work on the lakes. Prbly cuz no one bothers to look there. They cruize the coast, see nothing and throw up their hands saying, 'theres no place to deed'. Good luck with your new place and happy WURMing.  ;)

Lakes make great locations, but I specifically wanted a spot on the coast.

Check around f9. RL has kept me out of game for the last few weeks but there was good spots near me when I was last in game.

Theres space around my area at Q10/11  (sail around that peninsula and if you investigate a bit you'll at least a couple places).

I had a lot of surface mining done and dropped some dirt to widen the area but I couldn't be happier with the results.

If you do decide to settle in the area or are still looking let me know, I'd be happy to provide assistance if I can.