Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Going Overboard with Religion

Maybe it's just the atheist in me that's being bothered like this, but what's the deal with the game being increasingly slanted toward religion?  You can't even have a complete Wurm experience without being evangelized to and having "faith", and it's pretty much required you roll a Priest alt if you want to actually participate in the economy and be self sufficient.

Now we're adding tons of new "gods" to the game.  God this, god that, faith, prayer, sacrifices etc etc.

I didn't know I was signing up to play an online religious simulator.  When I first started playing Wurm it wasn't like this at all.  Now priests are so powerful, it's almost impossible to ignore.

• Like 9

I'm an atheist, im not the slight bit bothered by it, especially considering the game has had lore religions as a focus for a lot of things, and the epic PMR has been in the line for years now.

Not sure why its suddenly an issue, especially considering priests have always been prevalent and powerful.

I cant mention much about the economy, as ive always played on PvP servers, where everything is always free, so...

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

Well once the new god thing gets old and everyone has picked their choice of priest then things will calm back down like they use to be. Rolf already said they will not be happening as fast as they have been anymore. 

Edited by Kegan

It is a fantasy world immersion is a thing

• Like 2

Well once the new god thing gets old and everyone has picked their choice of priest then things will calm back down like they use to be. Rolf already said they will not be happening as fast as they have been anymore

We already have 3 deities too many.

• Like 3

I'm an athiest, im not the slight bit bothered by it,

What the hell kind of atheist are you?

see what I did there? :P

• Like 1

We already have 3 deities too many.

I am all for as many as we can get till i get the perfect spells i want for a pve priest and Nahjo is real close i just want coc over woa so i can make my own skilling tools. 

Edit: Or just make one for each side and let us pick the spells as we level the priest. (with restrictions on what ones you can stack on the priset ofc)

Edited by Kegan

Wurm gods are good. You get punished for being a hypocrite unlike irl. If you are bad as vynora she will ###### up your ######. If you are too good as libila you will lose power. Also in wurms the gods actually exist and use their powers in daily life, so it makes sense to be religious, unlike irl. Although with too many gods it becomes confusing and messy.

Edited by Judicator

It is a fantasy world immersion is a thing

I can accept religion in a game for the purposes of immersion.  I've played lots of games that have religious themes in them, that doesn't bother me.

My problem is Wurm's religious system interferes with the game-play in a TON of ways.  And if you choose to opt out completely, like I have, you are at a clear disadvantage competitively and economically.

If you want faith removed then you should also want meditation removed they are equally big choices which have huge late game benefits at least priests have some penalties. Wurm doesn't seem to be a game that you are supposed to be a jack of all trades in. If you feel that you are at a disadvantage economically then make a friend who is less impartial to playing as a priest. On pvp servers there are many people who play as priests on their main accounts and on freedom this is perfectly viable too if you are with a decent sized deed/alliance where you all help each other. 

Also tgod is completely right about grinding a priest, it is very expensive and no small task.

Edited by Webba

It's not required to roll a priest at least in PVE. What most folks fail to see is that for every enchant worth a few coppers there may be a dozen of silver coins (and many gold coins in total) spent to grind channeling and hire panfillers well before this enchant reached the market. I did some math after finding the skill tick size for channeling>50 and the cost to bring it to 70 by using either gems or favor is just.. too much to be a wise financial decision (even if you assume that you get a skill with every cast).

In PvP with self-cast no locate and the ability to shoot all sorts of "fireworks" it's a different thing. Here we are going closer to a Priest vs Priest and Follower vs Fortifications model.

Religion in wurm has the role of magic in other games. I can't see why the first is a problem and the second is not other than you may not like the notion of religion in a game. If this is the case I don't understand why in a game with unicorns and dragons such a thing would be considered a problem. In fact knowing that everyone can become a god on epic and with some luck have a spell list that will make him more popular than the old gods makes me think that it makes the concept of religion in the game more "atheist-friendly". Don't forget that you can still kill the ascended player.

As for choosing not to use some features of the game and having trouble with it(it's not that serious but let's assume below that it is)..

You may not want to quit rolling an archer against a knight with a tower shield because you like being an archer or because you hate the classes that can counter the knight. But this means that you have to accept that you will either have to roll a different class every time that you need to or that you'll keep being slain until you become a master archer that will be able to avoid the enemy's shield and strong points of armor. It's your choice if you don't want to use the tools given to you and not a fault of the game itself.

Edited by Anothernoob

I've always hated that so much of gameplay is related to religion, even if it's fake. 

• Like 1

lets keep this to game religion or the thread will likely get locked :) 

• Like 3

I'm not asking for the removal of anything.  Just concerned about the increasing trend of game resources and developer time being dedicated to faith-based gameplay over everything else.

Developer time? You know the whole ascending process was designed a long time ago and is automated, the only developer time that is being spent is on balancing and fixes which should always be done on all features.

There is more ways to make money then just enchanting.

I know a young lady that lives on Indy, she makes around 15 silver every week by just farming.

There is many that make their money on selling bulk items. None of this stuff require priest. So i am trying to see exactly where you have to be a priest... to make it in today's economy

I've always hated that so much of gameplay is related to religion, even if it's fake. 

Ditto.  In the past I was able to get by without it bothering me too much, but lately it's just getting out of hand how immersed you need to be in religion to fully enjoy this game.

• Like 1

There is more ways to make money then just enchanting.

I know a young lady that lives on Indy, she makes around 15 silver every week by just farming.

There is many that make their money on selling bulk items. None of this stuff require priest. So i am trying to see exactly where you have to be a priest... to make it in today's economy

Where did I say I HAD to be a priest?

Sure I can load up my Knarr and spend 5+ hours doing a cross-server delivery to someone (for peanuts I might add).

Or I can sit by a mailbox and make more money COD'ing enchanted items to people.

You can dismiss my view, that's cool.  But the fact is you MUST roll a priest to maximize your earning potential in Wurm.  But let me be clear, that isn't even my main gripe. 

Edited by Proximo

I did priests for a while. Then I decided it was cheaper to just buy enchants. Only keeping a mag for strongwalls and a fo fpr genesis. Will drpp the mag soon, when I finish my last big mining adventure

Was really hoping when they added socerary that it would counter priest.  But they made that impossible. 

• Like 3

lets keep this to game religion or the thread will likely get locked :)

This

Let us move away from real life religion, it is not a suitable topic for a game community, not even slightly.

And it's also against the forum rules.

Thank you for your understanding.

bwg | Board Moderator

• Like 1

Being playing from 2012, I have only one main account and is not a priest, the only function so far for my alts is banking some stuff I don't need to have in my inventory, but i don't want to leave around to decay.

Fully enjoying the game so far, so priest are not needed to enjoy the game, a gazillon of alts is not a requirement.

• Like 1

Partly agree with OP in using religion for magic in WO. But its just a game and meh, Rolf can do whatever. I'm not offended by religion in a game.

Two thoughts I have though...

• I think WO should have used "nature magic" instead. (Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, etc) But that's a completely different vision and therefore different game entirely. :)
  • Next thought... From my point of view, it looks like the whole religion (new deity) thing is getting out of hand and it looks like a complete mess. Using the RNG to pick which spells new up and coming deities get is "not the best solution" in my mind. We now have deities that are using parts from both WL and BL and have arguably the best spells in the game minus CoC. I'm not seeing any kind of forethought or vision in that. But hey, maybe I am missing something... The newest can mine, chop wood, strongwall, genesis, courier, WoA, Life Transfer, the list goes on... And guess what they can sac for favor...) I'm really confused here.
  • >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQhd-KUXrWI

A game needs a solid vision with structure and stability. WO seems like its being hit by quite a bit of chaos lately. (the disorder not the server) :)

If a game which uses real life currency becomes unstable, people generally tend to sell off their assets and move on.

I'm going to show my geekyness here, but I get the impression that what's happening in WO is similar to what happens in a D&D game that's gone on to long or where the Dungeon Master has lost interest. The Dungeon Master starts throwing in flying pigs, new gods, and alternate realities.

Perhaps WO has met it's "Time of Troubles"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Troubles_(Forgotten_Realms)

• Like 1

The corn while i like it probably should have been made to be ground and baked into a chip, lol

Edited by Kegan