Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Blue is not blue but purple

Hi,

Decided to paint my carts different colours to quickly differentiate them.  However, found that the blue is not blue but rather purple and a garish purple at that.

with 56ql blue dye this was the result:

mJszDy9.jpg

So, tried to tone this down, with 22ql blue dye and the result was... lilac / lavendar / whatever, but not blue:

PePbtMZ.jpg

So, my suggestion and humble request is that the blue dye is changed to a true blue colour.

Many thanks, in hope....

Actually I wish we'd go back to the color sceme that it was before where the actual color would be painted on.

Right now the colors kind of blend with the wood and make it look terrible.

• Like 1

The dye system sucks. Needs an overhaul.

• Like 5

The first one could be called 'midnight blue' and was the color of my lovely sailboat the 'Blue Bayou' before the changes to boats. 

I agree the system needs to be changed and perhaps make it simpler to make other colors the mixtures to make colors such as yellow (a base color IRL) do not make sense. :wacko:

I believe it was Brash that suggested making them from flowers which should work since we have almost every color of flower you would want and finding enough 'blue flowers' would probably be about as difficult as finding high ql woad. ;)

• Like 1

So i tried to fix it, but a mix of blue, green and a bit of white dye ended up with this grey:

Hi3lZUZ.jpg

So, had another go, mixed 17 x 22ql blue with 10 x 45ql green to try and get a pale torquoise, but this was the result:

DvBkrQI.jpg

[14:55:57] A fairly large two wheel cart designed to be dragged by an animal. Colors: R=66, G=120, B=121. It is locked with a lock of okay quality. It is made from cedarwood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 49.179684, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Baloo, has been etched in the stern.

Colors: R=66, G=120, B=121. should give a rather nice turquoise as shown by entering the figures in : http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm

So, YES !  Definitely the colour / dye scheme needs a major overhaul and yellow is a definite must.

I love that it blends with the wood. Before it was cartoonish. Does look purple though.

So i tried to fix it, but a mix of blue, green and a bit of white dye ended up with this grey:

That's because of the dye making mechanic, wen you mix 2 different dyes the result always tends to gray. Its fine to certain extent, the problem is wen you for example mix exact ql and colors dyes and yet they tend to gray. Its an unnecessary burden for an already hard task, and leads to a giant waste of resources, because if you want for example a barrel of white paint you need to use tons full 64 Kg. lumps and trow away most of the dye until you get a good one.

And just because of that some colors like pure blue or red are almost impossible to get in more than 1kg. Simply because you can't combine woad or cochineal, and if you mix 45 jars of 1 Kg. of 99ql red dye you get 45 Kg of a lesser red dye (the name still says 99ql, but if you examine it you learn the truth).

Folk that can dye well, with high NS.. are fairly rare.
rarer still is woad.

+1 toward an overhaul, but im biased because i lack the NS skill and i don't have hordes of people giving me free woad.

;)

We do of course need to be careful, if painting was too easy..
could just be a pipedream.

Folk that can dye well, with high NS.. are fairly rare.

rarer still is woad.

+1 toward an overhaul, but im biased because i lack the NS skill and i don't have hordes of people giving me free woad.

;)

We do of course need to be careful, if painting was too easy..

could just be a pipedream.

Its not so much about making it easy, but more consistent, wen you combine 2 90.25 ql lumps of iron you get a bigger 90.25 ql lump, and same is valid for every other resources, but wen you combine 2 exact same ql dyes, you get a dye with the same ql but with different rgb values, that's inconsistent and is there for no reason.

• Like 1

The first one could be called 'midnight blue' and was the color of my lovely sailboat the 'Blue Bayou' before the changes to boats. 

I agree the system needs to be changed and perhaps make it simpler to make other colors the mixtures to make colors such as yellow (a base color IRL) do not make sense. :wacko:

I believe it was Brash that suggested making them from flowers which should work since we have almost every color of flower you would want and finding enough 'blue flowers' would probably be about as difficult as finding high ql woad. ;)

My guess is that they will want to wait on the new graphics engine to test what it can handle. But I would like to see a lot of customization through dyes. You could use the current alchemy items (woad etc) PLUS add flowers PLUS mushrooms, since both are medieval sources of dyes and that opens up more options. Skilled dyers would still maybe be needed to blend colors away from the "basics"

flowers: white blue purple orange-red greenish-yellow (pink polka dot rare!)

mushrooms:  black green yellow blue brown red

One group could be delicate  low saturation or earthtones and be allowable on things like armor:

colored_armor.jpg

another group could be "bold" but only usable on things like clothing

polka-dot-monster-toddle-costume-0.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Your console settings also affect how you see dyed objects in game.

For instance, when I run the game with Multidraw, VBO, and FBO set to core, while disabling GLSL shaders, I see the dyed objects as they should be: rich in color. I also get pitch black water.

Example:

4iRg0iY.jpg

And when I run the game with Multidraw, GLSL shaders and VBO set to core, while FBO is disabled (the only way I can run Wurm with GLSL shaders on), I get these white-washed version of colors: everything's painted a light, pastel shade. My water is the proper blue color, though.

Example:

v0WdPks.jpg

I'll edit some screenshots in to show the differences when I get some time to log in.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Blue looks more blue at higher quality...

I just wish woad was easier to collect at higher quality... cochineals for red are super easy and copper(green) and zinc(white) only require high mining. black is still ridiculously difficult even with high natural subs and high ql materials...

Edited by KyleBooze
  • Like 2

We need dyes AND paints. Paint can completely cover something like rock, wood and plate armor, where dyes would have little effect on them. Paint would suck when used on cloth, which is where a dye would be perfect.

Dipping a knarr into a fountain of dye, which is inside a sauce pan, to dye it is a problem. Using a bucket and paintbrush to paint the knarr, when in dry dock is not a problem. If a single bucket isn't enough, then make the first bucket's coat a thin coverage result. Next bucket the color is stronger, etc.

• Like 5

We need dyes AND paints. Paint can completely cover something like rock, wood and plate armor, where dyes would have little effect on them. Paint would suck when used on cloth, which is where a dye would be perfect.

Dipping a knarr into a fountain of dye, which is inside a sauce pan, to dye it is a problem. Using a bucket and paintbrush to paint the knarr, when in dry dock is not a problem. If a single bucket isn't enough, then make the first bucket's coat a thin coverage result. Next bucket the color is stronger, etc.

I too would like to see paint added especially to boats the best suggestion for that I have heard is X number of brush strokes = painted item, ranging from 4 for a bucket to 1,000 for a caravel. 

making high rgb in big volumes is tricky, u need tons off high ql mats, u make a base on high ql woad to get the blue value top, u want the rest down to lowest possible, to get that true color of blue, else it blends into something else, and this is the tricky part, u need to add a higher rgb then the orginal, and only 1kg at time. i did this on theese 2 carts,,,

6GKIXJQ.jpg

ill got red cart to 244 red value and cyan one i did a mistake and dropped 3 kg at once and lost 4 green and blue values and it dropped below 240 on both

like this blue rgb i find rather good blue for banners etc they get blue.
[14:34:51] Dye, used to colour clothing and items with. Colors: R=9, G=9, B=246.
or this yellow
[14:35:55] Dye, used to colour clothing and items with. Colors: R=253, G=252, B=3. ( ill use this on lanterns only )

ill make rather much dyes and test alot. system isnt correct but take a look on the java light polygon system how it works. basics are simple learn how to use them as a advantage and it can get really good resualts, and as many other things in this game it takes time to do it, but i can help out with tips and so on if some one need one =)

Blue looks more blue at higher quality...

I just wish woad was easier to collect at higher quality... cochineals for red are super easy and copper(green) and zinc(white) only require high mining. black is still ridiculously difficult even with high natural subs and high ql materials...

this is why i raised my botanizing aswell, i am at 72,7 botanizing ill do on average on 100 woads 59-60ql, ill botanize 2-3 times a week, so i can make my dyes for my areas.

its hard work for so little i know but belive me in end when u worked on it alot u get really happy on resault. ( on botanize grind dont follow any guides, gras tiles and use only botanize bounded to a key and use sb, it takes time ) for me so worh it =)

those problems are causes by the glsl shaders,turning it off shows the colors like they used to be before.

The dye system definitely needs to be reworked.  The old method worked like paint and was opaque, but did make things look cartoonish at times.  The current system works like stain, and the original color of the object shows through, which alters the color you went for.  The worst examples right now are black and white, it is a waste of time to paint anything in those colors, except for lanterns where white still makes them brighter.  We need to have the choice of opaque paint and translucent stain.  I suggest being able to add clay to dye to make paint.  With the choice of opaque colors and translucent colors we could have a lot more variety in how to decorate items.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 3

The dye system definitely does need some touching up. Overhaul? Not so sure. I can list a million of suggestions.

The way dyes are mades, mixed and changes when combining should stay the same. It works perfectly fine, just takes practise and learning - which is the fun part. However the amount a dye 'grays-out' when combining should be dialed down abit.

There should be 3 types of dye;

• Dye    - Used to dye clothing
  • Paint  - Used to fully paint a object (To look like the old system)
  • Stain  - Used to fully stain an object (To look like the current system)

This way we have the best of all worlds. However I think its key theres an option to be able to convert the different types between themselves.

For example;

• Woad/Zinc/Copper/Coch + Water = Dye
  • Dye + Drying Oil = Paint
  • Dye + Paint Thinner = Stain
  • Paint + Paint Thinner = Dye
  • Paint + Paint Thinner = Stain
  • Stain + Drying Oil = Dye
  • Stain + Drying Oil = Paint

Paint Thinner = Some sort of spirit, made from brewing some sort of seed.

Drying Oil = Some sort of oil bearing seed (Linseed Oil)

• Like 2

Maybe we need to have paint rather than dye for wood items.  Dye works just like real life would.  It is transparent to show the wood color and grain.  If you stained a dresser blue it would look exactly like the blue cart did.  If you painted it however it would be opaque and true blue.  So maybe that is what we need.   How about if we could add flour to the dye to make it more opaque???

Sorry just noticed the post above me.  Glad someone else is thinking like i am.

Edited by Lolabelle

We do not currently have Flax (linseed) in the game and although it would make a wonderful addition that would take a lot of time and trouble for the dev.s.  

The first Paints were made with animal fats which we have a lot of in Wurm and only a couple of uses for at the moment. ;)

While they are at it change black dye form acorns to charcoal.  Acorns were not used for a dye themselves but as tanning agents and to make dyes stronger and longer lasting.

Edited by Bachus