Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News #69: Fun in the sun

News%20Header.jpg?dl=1

Hey Everyone!

This week brings less news, with today being the Summer Solstice public holiday in Sweden and it almost being the summer vacation period. As of next week, most developers will be on summer vacation, and so we won't have much formal development news to bring you for a few weeks. But don't worry -  devs will still be on hand to solve any critical issues that could arise and to provide maintenance for servers, so other than there being not much dev news for a few weeks you won't notice a thing! If there's community news or any bits of dev stuff to report on then we'll do a news post, but we'll skip weeks for which there isn't much to talk about until devs are back from a well-deserved break.

The reward of the summer will be a refreshed, ready to roll dev team for the next 12 months! When Autumn comes around, we'd like to start looking into the next "big feature" to start developing. Up until then, work on bugs and smaller things will continue.

We don't have any "shiny" news from developers this week, but can confirm that Wox has been working away on pauldrons (shoulder armour) that will provide an optional way to spruce up your character's appearance, and that Rolf has begun looking into issues involving the collisions system, that have caused some quirks regarding doors, archery and catapulting. It will be a bit of a hassle to fix but will be a part of sorting out some issues that bridges and doors (amongst other things) have had recently.

The Week in Patch Notes

There was one maintenance restart earlier this week. At a glance, the most useful thing looks like bridge decay now working in a similar way to road decay offdeed - they won't require as much maintenance so long as they're used, making using bridges in highway design that bit more convenient.

Fixes that apply to all servers are in black, to purely PvP servers in blue and to purely PvE servers in green.

16/6/15
  • Changed bridge decay, so if its used the decay is reduced (a lot).
  • Fix for some notake items suddenly being possible to take.
  • Improved the newbie light a bit.
  • More breeding timer tweaks.
  • Infection in wounds were bugged and will now be a bit harder to get rid of.
  • The spell Ward should make more creatures flee now.
  • Walls no longer keeps their colors when set to plan or rubble.

Niarja - Twitter Tracking & Skill Comparison

If you haven't heard about Niarja, it's a new tool developed by Chakron that parses tweets from the official Wurm Online accounts in an organized and searchable format. This is useful for staying up to date on the status of rare, unique critters as well as the most recent deeds to be formed or disbanded. In addition, the new Skill Compare feature of Niarja allows you to view character skilldumps in a consistent and attractive format. Compare your skills with other characters if you so choose, and even help keep track of your skill gains. It looks like an exciting new tool and a big thanks to Chakron for developing it for use by all Wurmians!

You can read more about Niarja and the Skill Compare feature and go directly to its website.

Niarja.png?dl=1

Warlander's Ramp

It might not be as epic as some of the other bridges we've highlighted, but we think it's a good example of just how versatile bridges can be when it comes to decorating in Wurm. Warlander created a simple ramp bridge up to the second story of a building. Small ramps like it make transporting materials to other floors of buildings possible. It goes to show you how bridges, big or small, have been an excellent and welcome addition to the game!

WarlanderRamp.jpg?dl=1

Screenshot of the Week

Our weekly screenshot was posted by Bachus and depicts the Indigus deed. Someone certainly had fun playing with color and dyeing objects! It's awesome how the rainbow arches down on top of the deed, almost as if it was the source of the colored buildings. There's a bridge in the background to boot!

Screenshot.jpg?dl=1

Did you know that you can unhitch individual animals from a wagon while mounted? Well now you do.

Happy Wurming!

• Like 23

Not a word about the trader poll, lol

Well guess we will have to wait till after the vacation to see what happens. 

Edited by Kegan

That Niarja update is masterful.

And I like that the weekly news is including not just developer but community news.

• Like 6

Not a word about the trader poll, lol

Well guess we will have to wait till after the vacation to see what happens.

Voting ends the 23'rd.

• Like 1

this is.. just sorta turning into a screenshot of the week thread

• Like 9

Hey, thanks!

I've also got a thread over in Toolbelt - that's where I talk about what features I'm working on. There's a big list on page 2. I'm happy to accommodate most reasonable requests.

Phoenix, AZ
Friday 5:00 PM
Mostly Cloudy

111°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 3%
Wind: 13 mph

Fun in the sun =)

Did you know that you can unhitch individual animals from a wagon while mounted? Well now you do.

I approve :)

• Like 1

I agree with Kegan how is it there's nothing whatsoever to mention about the trader poll? Maybe some idea as to what the 3rd option might involve. Also this isn't linked on the News on the client launcher yet.

As PRAs we are continuing to strive towards a balance of development and community news. That is why we have been including screenshots each week, in an effort to include the community of players that make Wurm the game it is. We have many different people on many different levels that we are hoping to please. I'm sure you can understand that it is no easy task and downright impossible to a degree. But we do try our hardest and I would like to think we have the support of the majority of Wurmians in our quest to make the game, inside and out, the best it can be.

:)

• Like 3

And on a personal note I think the Niarja tool is genius and look forward to seeing how it develops. Kudos to Chakron and other developers of Wurm add-ons that serve to enhance our game play.

• Like 2

No word on when they will fix the Player verses Environment issue with Mobs on Xanadu, Guess we will have to continue to play Player verses Cows and Bulls in the southern part of Xanadu, While all the environment is in the north.

• Like 1

do positional desync and memory leaks count as "critical issues"? if not, I don't know what does...

I looked at the poll on Xanadu, but honestly found the question to be sort of poorly written and lacking in explanation, so I didn't bother answering it. As someone who's never played on a server with active traders, what WOULD the implications be of traders on Xanadu?

Edited by Ostentatio

When a poll gives you some options for change, to something that doesn't need change and then doesn't really explain the change, best to vote no.

And I personally love the mix of community/screen shots mixed in the weekly news. Format is great.

Awesome that they used my picture of Stevelee's place!  :D

One of the reasons I took it is that he likes to experiment with all the new features of Wurm and if you look closely you can see one of just about everything bridge, pylon, pillar, marble brazier, colossus, etc.  While my tastes tend to be a bit more subdued he has given me some inspirations of my own and it will be an excellent landmark for the community Temple and Market-house I will be opening soon.  Also we are right at the crossing point to Xanadu from Deli, making it a good navigational landmark too.  ;)

• Like 1

No word on when they will fix the Player verses Environment issue with Mobs on Xanadu, Guess we will have to continue to play Player verses Cows and Bulls in the southern part of Xanadu, While all the environment is in the north.

They have stopped responding to this issue, there hasn't been any word on it in ages. I think they want to just sweep it under the rug. I have a suspicion they are not capable of fixing it.

Edited by Steeloxide

I still like the other one with the rainbow that was posted better very nice deed altogether though I just think the rare rainbow pointing directly to your deed is what made it more interesting.  Anyway i love the screenshot of the week.  gives me ideas to do for my own deed :D

• Like 2

Sanrina, on 21 Jun 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

I still like the other one with the rainbow that was posted better very nice deed altogether though I just think the rare rainbow pointing directly to your deed is what made it more interesting.  Anyway i love the screenshot of the week.  gives me ideas to do for my own deed [ :D]

thank you :)
glad to be of inspiration, come visit, there's far more to see. Bachus also has a very cozy  settlement next door.

Edited by Steveleeb

As PRAs we are continuing to strive towards a balance of development and community news. That is why we have been including screenshots each week, in an effort to include the community of players that make Wurm the game it is. We have many different people on many different levels that we are hoping to please. I'm sure you can understand that it is no easy task and downright impossible to a degree. But we do try our hardest and I would like to think we have the support of the majority of Wurmians in our quest to make the game, inside and out, the best it can be.

:)

Dont want community news. Want news on how this game is being made less broken.

Can i have more than 20 people in local yet in pvp without lagging my ass off? No? cool