Sign in to follow this  
Murrika

The Game Won't Launch

I'm having some real issues here. My shortcut will no longer give me the launcher and when I try to launch from the website, nothing happens happens I log in and the initial loading screen hits 100%.

I really wanna play this game, but it won't let me. What do I do!!!

Also, I can't pick an avatar for some reason.

• Like 1

Let's take this one step at a time. 

First, if you're on Windows, click Start, then Run, type in "cmd.exe" and hit enter to open a command prompt. Type "java -version" in the box and paste what it says here. To copy and paste, right-click on the command prompt window and click "Mark". Click and drag the highlighting box around the text you see, and then right-click. The box will disappear and the text inside of it will be copied to the clip board.

Come here and paste it into a reply. You should see something like this:

C:\Users\jwalk>java -version
java version "1.8.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)

C:\Users\Timothy>java_version

'java_version' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

This is all I get. Does it mean I don't have Java installed? I checked and its in there.

I typed in Java wrong. lmao

C:\Users\Timothy>java -version

java version "1.8.0_25"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b18)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

Well the first thing I see is an outdated Java version. You might want to start there - download it and install it, then go to www.wurmonline.com and click Play again.

Re-reading what you posted, you can get to the login screen? Better - why not take me through the steps up to when you can't progress? 

Example:

1) Click icon on desktop/webpage

2) See splash screen (the awesome looking Wurm logo that pops up in the middle)

3) I see the login screen and can type in my character name and password

4) I click "Play"

What is saying 100%? If it's stuck on something like "graphics.jar 100%" - you might want to go into (using your path provided above)  C:\Users\Timothy\wurm\packs and delete graphics.jar. You can also try deleting all of the files there, as they will re-download when you start the launcher again. Make sure the launcher or game isn't running when you try this.

Also, and this may seem silly, but make sure you restart your computer. Sometimes Wurm will remain open, even though the window is closed. You can usually tell by starting the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager) and looking for a "jp2launcher.exe" program that has a LOT of memory in use. In fact, you can click "Memory" in the heading of the Task Manager and sort by memory usage. If an instance of Wurm is still open, you can sometimes have issues patching the jar files.

Another possible fix, especially on systems with several Java installations, would be to head into your Control Panel and Add / Remove Programs (or whatever it's called now) and uninstall Java completely. Then go download the newest version and install only that. Make sure you grab the 64-bit version though!

1. Can you look in your Wurm folder for two files named hs_err_pid and console.charactername,log and post both of those here (open in notepad, copy, paste). They should both have a RECENT date (like, no more than 24 hours or so old.).   That will probably tell us what error message you are getting.

2. The shortcut that no longer works -- can you rightclick > PROPERTIES  then copy paste here the entire target line (it may be referring to an old/previous java path that no longer exists)

3. On the launcher that DOES work starting from the website (this probably uses java location from registry so still works, unlike the shortcut), but stops at 100%, can you click on PACK UPDATES page and see if it gets any red text message on why the update does not complete. Also uncheck for now the OPTIONAL packs (graphics, sound, experimental) and then try again

4> When you say you cannot pick an avatar, does that mean it shows no names or that your mouse will not allow you to switch from one name to another (like it is frozen)?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Okay so I downloaded the new Java, uninstalled it and re-downloaded the 64 bit java.

C:\Users\Timothy>java -version
java version "1.8.0_45"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b15)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)

here is my command prompt stuff. Still, nothing is different.

the graphics.jar works fine. I click play the loading screen comes up. After the loaded screen has been loaded, it says "Welcome to Wurm!" and then goes away. And now I am here trying to figure it out. Maybe my old computer just doesn't function properly. I really hope thats not the case.

Time is Fri Jun 19 16:24:20 EDT 2015
Running client version 3.88

=== System information ===
Executing from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\
Operating system: Windows Vista (arch: amd64, version: 6.0)
Java version: 1.8.0_45 (Oracle Corporation) <http://java.oracle.com/>
Jvm version: 25.45-b02 (Oracle Corporation) [Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM]
Available CPUs: 4

Jun 19, 2015 4:24:20 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
>>> Main thread exiting.
Loading character Murrika
Loading config default
Loading props file C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\configs\default\gamesettings.txt
Executing C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\configs\default\keybindings.txt
Loading props file C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\players\Murrika\password.txt
>>> LoginFrame queue entry exiting.
Saving props file C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\players\Murrika\password.txt
Saving props file C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\configs\default\gamesettings.txt
Keybindings saved.
Loaded pack sound.jar (r1)
Loaded pack pmk.jar (r2543)
Loaded pack graphics.jar (r2556)
Options up-to-date!

Preparing to enable console logging.
Now logging to C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\console.Murrika.log

and about my avatar is probably something completey different. I am trying to pick a picture for my profile. None of the pictures I tried work and its still the same. Ive been wanting to play this game for so long, but my computer does NOT want me to play it.

Is that the 

Maybe my old computer just doesn't function properly. 

1) Looks like you have a quadcore cpu so not THAT old :D   I am still on an old dualcore cpu. See whether the console log is actually longer than what shows here.  Also there is no file name hs_err_pid, maybe also look in the desktop if it is not in the Wurm folder

2) Can you go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager >  Display Adapter > Properties, tell me what is the display adapter AND what is it's driver date. 

3) Can you also go to Launcher > Compatibility and for now disable GLSL and VBO then also set the game resolution in launcher to 640x480 windows resizeable and if the game loads this time, wait for it to fully load before enlarging (640x480 is too small to play BUT it sometimes gets the game starting to load for people who immediately crash before loading, then they can afterwards make it larger)

On the forum avatar picture, it is possible the image is either a wrong size or an incorrect image format. Are you trying to load one off your hard drive or from an internet url?

The display adapter is an ATI Radeon HD 3650 and it's date is the fine year of 4/9/2008. 

and I just changed the things you instructed me to change. Now what?

ok 2008 video drivers are probably not going to work. And don't believe Windows if it says your drivers are the best you can get. Is this a desktop or a laptop?  If it is a desktop with 64 bit vista and radeon 3650, you probably want this driver (still old at October 2013 but not THAT old. Since it is a Legacy driver, this is the newest you will ever get.) 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2064

Ignore the Hyrdavision section, just the Catalyst section. If is a laptop it will be a smidgen trickier, you may need to manually install drivers but we will get to that only if you say it is a laptop

* also I forget whether Catalyst AI is still an issue but after the legacy driver is installed, open Catalyst Control Center and see if there is a spot to disable Catalyst AI, it may look like this:

Cat.jpg

(I grabbed that image off of Google and it may not be accurate for your Oct 2013 driver build)

I don't think it worked, and maybe I just need a new computer. It told me the download failed. And it just didn't download. 

Though, I did get the game the work, the controls aren't all there. I can't build anything, attack anything, or do much of anything really except walk around and forage.

I don't think it worked, and maybe I just need a new computer. It told me the download failed. And it just didn't download. 

I assume this is the video driver you mean. I am not sure what caused that. I would stil save that link and try now and again because that 2013 driver is a much better option than your 2008 driver you have now.

Though, I did get the game the work, the controls aren't all there. I can't build anything, attack anything, or do much of anything really except walk around and forage.

I would not give up quite yet. I would ask in Freedom Chat whether anyone is willing to "adopt" a brand new player who is having difficulties understanding the game. There are a number of villages that dedicate themselves to filling in for the lack of any tutorial in the game. There used to be a hands-on tutorial, but unfortunately they took that out. We now get a lot of players who are only able to walk around and forage because it is not clear what else to do, they struggle chopping trees and have no idea how to craft anything.   You may not be able to build or attack anything if you are on someone else's deed (starting spawn area included). You won;'t be able to do things like cut trees unless you have the axe activated which means you need to doubleclick the axe so that its name shows in green text  at the bottom. Activating a tool is different than equipping a weapon. If you are on a deed where you cannot build or attack however, you probably cannot cut trees either.

There are people playing the game on much worse computers than you ^_^ a quadcore cpu and radeon 3650 (with 2008 drivers, eeekkks!)   is old but still ahead of what a few people run this game on. If you get tired maybe take a break but you have come pretty far in now getting the game to run at all, so I would not give up yet.

Thanks for everything you helped me with. This game is much more complicated that I thought it would be, luckily I'm getting a better understanding. I thought it was broken, but I'm just a noob it seems lol.

It's very very tough the first week or two, which is why, even if you intend to eventually solo on PvE server, it's a great idea to get "adopted" by a veteran player for a few weeks first to get taught all the ropes.  Then once you are confident you are skilled enough to start from scratch on your own, head out to the woods with a secured/locked cart, some tools and a few supplies and carve your own homestead out of the raw wilderness.  (Or you might decide you love the village that first showed you the game and decide to stay there forever!)

You'll still want to get that 2008 graphics driver sorted out. And the forum avatar picture ^_^ its possible the format or size was off or that you gave it a web url that it was not allowed to pull from -- was the picture on your hard drive or on the web? If on the web, PM me the url and I will see whether I cannot help you sort out getting it as  forum avatar. 

Another helpful source of game information is The Book of Wisdom. There should be a "Notifications" bar in the screen with the icon of a book, if you click the book you should get this, then read through it and learn more about the game 

300px-Book-of-wisdom-window.jpg

cant log in since new java update stuck at 0%

Make a new thread.