Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Free Trials

(Edits for priests, start of trial, restrictions)

So I know this has been suggested before. I know. Perhaps this idea is a little different though and it ties in to another suggestion quite nicely.

Three Account Types

1. Free - As it is now, no changes.
  2. Trial - All of the limitations of "Free", but skills and statistics can be raised beyond the cap of 20. (Priests disallowed)
  3. Premium - As it is now, no changes.

Trial could last a week to a month. Two weeks would be a nice range, allowing for the player to get some skills above 20. The restrictions of a Free player, such as no affinities and blocking local lists on PvP would have to remain. Other restrictions could be action-based, such as unable to destroy pavement and other possible grief scenarios. Priesting should be disallowed, and it should not be considered a valid listener for sermons. 

Since new players probably won't reach 20 in anything in a two-week period, perhaps allow for this to be a toggled feature. The first time a skill gain would tick over 20, have a message come up offering "/start trial" to start a two-week free trial for limited premium.

After the trial period, the account remains "Free" until premium is paid for. The trial would not count as having had premium, so the inactive purge would still function.

Note: I thought about this after Etherdrifter recommended "free premium" weekends on my other thread. Instead of free premium, a "free trial" weekend would be similar and fix some of the concerns I mentioned there.

Constructive thoughts? If you happen to down vote, please explain a little as to why.

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 1

I dont think it is needed they can ride a cow if they must ride something and they can do about all the things anyone can except what you already said would have to stay so i don't see a point in it.

(seams more like a cheap way to get a priest alts skills up before priesting/paying premium)

Edited by Kegan

I dont think it is needed they can ride a cow if they must ride something and they can do about all the things anyone can except what you already said would have to stay so i don't see a point in it.

(seams more like a cheap way to get a priest alts skills up before priesting/paying premium)

Actually, priesting should not be allowed under this model. I was more thinking about how hard it would be to resist going premium after you've had a small taste of skills beyond 20. Especially if it's two weeks or so, enough to notice that hard work missing when you're Free again. Most of the reason I ever put money into a "free to play" game is because the free trial ran out and I missed the features that came with it. Good catch on the priests though.

You already get more than 2 weeks really. Leveling skills to 20 takes longer if you are new, so you won't notice you are "free" untill you spent enough time to know you want to stay and pay.

Actually, priesting should not be allowed under this model. I was more thinking about how hard it would be to resist going premium after you've had a small taste of skills beyond 20. Especially if it's two weeks or so, enough to notice that hard work missing when you're Free again. Most of the reason I ever put money into a "free to play" game is because the free trial ran out and I missed the features that came with it. Good catch on the priests though.

Well what could they do in two weeks that matters anymore then getting to 20? They might be able to ride a cart but that is all i can think of so it seems like a lot of hassle for not that much more of an experience.

Most NEW players would not get past 20 skill anyway in a few weeks

Edited by Kegan

You already get more than 2 weeks really. Leveling skills to 20 takes longer if you are new, so you won't notice you are "free" untill you spent enough time to know you want to stay and pay.

Well what could they do in two weeks that matters anymore then getting to 20? They might be able to ride a cart but that is all i can think of so it seems like a lot of hassle for not that much more of an experience.

Most NEW players would not get past 20 skill anyway in a few weeks

Valid points. Then perhaps make it something that can be toggled enabled when the player wishes? 

Or any other solution for this problem, which I've encountered more than a few times: "Never went premium, so I'm not missing anything."

If something like this was implemented, it would require some kind of prevention against priesting (Also not be counted as a listener for sermons).  If it was unrestricted premium for a week or two, it'd allow for too many exploits.

• Like 1

If something like this was implemented, it would require some kind of prevention against priesting (Also not be counted as a listener for sermons).  If it was unrestricted premium for a week or two, it'd allow for too many exploits.

See posts above and the edited main post about priesting. Already covered. Listener is a good point too, though. Adding that.

This would likely lead to people creating throw away griefing alts. Grind up some skills in the trial period, then use to destroy off deed fences or pavement, etc. Alt gets caught, no repercussions.

• Like 1

This would likely lead to people creating throw away griefing alts. Grind up some skills in the trial period, then use to destroy off deed fences or pavement, etc. Alt gets caught, no repercussions.

My thoughts exactly

premium is a trial... 2 months is enough to try the game out with uncapped skills... heck, if you don't prem up after a couple weeks, the you probably aren't going to play very long anyways...

No! The 20.00 skill cap for the Wurm unlimited free "trial" serves this purpose very well and subtly encourages players to become Premium in order to raise any skill above this skill cap. Also there are various anti-griefing mechanisms tied into it that do not justify being adjusted for some short time period of a "trial" that allows raising skill levels above this as you suggest.

All I see this suggestion accomplishing is allowing new players a longer window to postpone becoming a Premium player, so not a great idea. Nor is putting the Dev's into the position where they have to re-code anti-griefing measures for this new extended "trial" period. If players want to play without becoming Premium fine but they should not be given any additional benefits than are already provided under the current system.

=Ayes=

or try this. The newbies themselves get a chance to see that 20 seconds to nail a plank isn't the norm, the existing clusters are not affected by potential griefers and the resets/non-persistent world can drive them to the normal servers.

Edited by Anothernoob

(Edits for priests, start of trial, restrictions)

So I know this has been suggested before. I know. Perhaps this idea is a little different though and it ties in to another suggestion quite nicely.

Three Account Types

• Free - As it is now, no changes.
  • Trial - All of the limitations of "Free", but skills and statistics can be raised beyond the cap of 20. (Priests disallowed)
  • Premium - As it is now, no changes.
Trial could last a week to a month. Two weeks would be a nice range, allowing for the player to get some skills above 20. The restrictions of a Free player, such as no affinities and blocking local lists on PvP would have to remain. Other restrictions could be action-based, such as unable to destroy pavement and other possible grief scenarios. Priesting should be disallowed, and it should not be considered a valid listener for sermons. 

Since new players probably won't reach 20 in anything in a two-week period, perhaps allow for this to be a toggled feature. The first time a skill gain would tick over 20, have a message come up offering "/start trial" to start a two-week free trial for limited premium.

After the trial period, the account remains "Free" until premium is paid for. The trial would not count as having had premium, so the inactive purge would still function.

Note: I thought about this after Etherdrifter recommended "free premium" weekends on my other thread. Instead of free premium, a "free trial" weekend would be similar and fix some of the concerns I mentioned there.

Constructive thoughts? If you happen to down vote, please explain a little as to why.

-1 Trials in other games are meant to give the player a feel for the full version but there's no "full version" in going past level 20.