Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

"Special" weekends/events

With all of the games I've played in the past, sometimes it takes a special event to bring me back.

Some games use "double exp" weekends as a means to bring old players back. Instead of a constant boost, perhaps a weekend where everyone gets a full sleep bonus bar at 00:00 GMT or whenever the med/prayer tick reset happens. Start it Friday morning until Monday, and give at least a week notice so people can use their existing bonus. You could call this effect something like "Wisdom of the Creator"

Another version that could be run in an alternating fashion would be a global boost to the rarity and enchanting windows. Not double it, but a decent boost that doesn't hurt the overall balance. Call this "Boon of the Creator".

Edit: A third idea, from Etherdrifter below, would allow for free premium on some weekends. I then made a post here which could make that happen more smoothly. It's still a fine idea and a good event to run. The entire point behind these is to get the old players addicted again and new ones hooked! ;)

The idea would be to run these every few months and to advertise them with some persistence. Nothing makes older players come back like free skill bonuses, right? :)

Note: the first idea being based on sleep bonus is designed to use the existing system to balance it. The only issue I can see is that sleep powders may be worth less if that event is run too often.

The second could be abused by alts (spam grinding to make rares) - so perhaps limit it to premium only?

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 2

or players managed events, we already have the treasure hunt going on all the servers, ingame auctions on deliverance as well as many locations (stadiums, etc) waiting to be used.

Any events and reward in game will need to be balanced anyway.

• Like 1

Premium weekends for all players might be a nice addition, though keep these as short-term announcement only.

+1 for these though.

or players managed events, we already have the treasure hunt going on all the servers, ingame auctions on deliverance as well as many locations (stadiums, etc) waiting to be used.

Any events and reward in game will need to be balanced anyway.

I was avoiding player-managed events for this, simply because they already exist. This is more of a company-run event, hence the names I suggested. You also wouldn't want to run something like this in conjunction with a Treasure Hunt as people might be torn on how to best spend their time. This is more of a global event that everyone gets - across all servers and clusters. I love player-run events and such, but I also think something of this nature would be a benefit. I also avoided suggesting premium-only on the sleep bonus weekends because the idea of getting that much skill gain over a weekend may spur some to upgrade anyway. 

Premium weekends for all players might be a nice addition, though keep these as short-term announcement only.

+1 for these though.

A premium weekend would be awesome, but it could introduce some problems. A few things I could think of:

• Free alts would get to see their affinities, thus leading back to affinity exploiting and farming - even for a weekend

Free accounts would get flagged as premium, and thus not be purged when inactive as they are now. (This could be fixed by only applying the flag to accounts logging in)

It would cause a bit of a ruckus on Epic and Chaos, as free alts cannot see who is in local. This was done on purpose, and would be reversed by such a promotion.

I'm sure there are other issues, but perhaps there are ways around it. If those issues could be addressed, I'd be all for it. :)

I thought about your suggestion Etherdrifter, and I hope you don't mind that I added it to the post above. Any other ideas? Also, if you down vote, could you explain a little as to why? No idea is ever perfect right off the bat, unless that idea is free beer. :D

I'm heavily against any pre made kinda themepark  event, I think is best to keep events a player made thing.

• Like 1

I'm heavily against any pre made kinda themepark  event, I think is best to keep events a player made thing.

Can you explain how this would be a "themepark" event? We already get sleep bonus, and not always because of players.

• Like 1

Can you explain how this would be a "themepark" event? We already get sleep bonus, and not always because of players.

Sure, you have to "work" for that sb, either doing some missions, or need to sleep in a bed, or someone have to cast RoS, or buy some powders, so in the end sb is always because of players, unless there is some server issues and devs decide to compensate players

friday to monday is the perfect time for pvp and i'd hate to see people priotise camping at a deed due to this bonus.

so -99999

friday to monday is the perfect time for pvp and i'd hate to see people priotise camping at a deed due to this bonus.

so -99999

it can be a different bonus depending on the server

pvp bonus on pvp server

pve bonus on pve server

Weekend events can be a good way to use challenge server by organizing special event there maybe with the ability to bring char from other server.

Would love to see challenge opened during the weekend for event like hunger game events, last to survive get a reward, a reset server is a nice choice for such events.