Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Mailing crates - bulk goods

Well i had posted in someones suggestion thread about allowing shipping of crates through the mail and thought it merited some discussion as to what people thought about this. (This is not a suggestion but a discussion thread on if it would be feasible and how it would effect the game) 

Here i the idea so far...

Allow mailboxes to ship crates. This can be done by moving your cart/wagon close to a mailbox then drag the crate from the open cart window to the mailbox window. When you drag and drop the crate into the mail window it starts the load timer and moves the crate over into the mailbox.  (send them the normal way like all the other mail)

When the person gets his/her crate in the mail they can see what is in them now so they know it is all there when collecting and once collected can either drag and drop to his/her cart or just unload them to the ground from the mailbox. 

All this needs is the ability to drag and drop crates with a load timer and permissions set to allow them to be mailed. (we already need the drag and drop for boat to cart/wagon transfers anyway.  

Points that have been brought up so far is pricing to mail the crate and the time it takes to arrive. 

The thought was to charge a flat fee per crate the suggestion so far was 50c and they wanted to have a days wait but i think that the added cost whatever they might be would be an incentive enough to use a shipper over the mail at least on large orders...

What do you all think about the idea? Love it.. hate it.. what price should be charged..etc 

Edited by Kegan

I just imagined Heavy saying "Im a pretty little fairy!"

also I say +1 but make the charge in server to around 30-45c, and around 50-1s for outer server.

• Like 1

How do faeries carry crates?

With magical fairy dust ofc 

200px-Heavy_Grand_Duchess_Set.png?t=2012

i thought they were imps  :P

Shouldn't discussions about suggestions be in the suggestion so that if it is an idea in which the developers decide to pickup on they can read the discussion that was had about the suggestion? Also putting your two cents like you have makes it a suggestion to a suggestion not a discussion on a suggestion. 

• Like 1

Before we start discussing/suggesting mailing crates, let's revisit the bulk merchant idea first. Being able to sell whole crates, bulk arrows, sets of armours from merchant would be the proper place to start.

But to touch the sending crates via mail system, if that should be allowed then we'd need to revisit the whole mail system and remove any limitation on items.

Not sure about the pricing and time. Would need to pretty expensive imo and take fairly long time as well.

Edited by Guruen

Dislike the idea of shipping goods globally in bulk through the mailbox system.

Think of the faeries!

• Like 1

I love the idea of being able to sell bulk items both on merchants and through the mail. And what is it with you people and the waits? Don't you like to enjoy your free time? How does waiting for an artificially extended amount of time enhance your enjoyment of a game? I say mail it as fast as the enchant on the mailbox can go. My fairies work for Fedex.

I like suggeston, however remember that people without 23 Body Strenght I think it is cannot receive these crates because they are not strong enough to load into a cart. Or maybe even embark a cart as dirver. So a really bad problem for noobs.

Be it mailbox or something else... I would have loved a bulk delivery system. 1s for a crate? cmon... People manually deliver lots of crates for that. Why 1s just for 1 crate? Makes no sense. Just make it take a loooot of time to reach destination which is reduced by courier cast and make high cast on par with a knarr on good wind, or maybe take a bit longer than the knarr on good wind

The point should not be getting it fast with cargo planes or cost more than your deed upkeep, but cost a bit more than what the average guy would deliver for (which is not 10k mats for 30s delivery cost...not!) and take a bit more time to reach than manually sailing, without having to be online to deliver and without having to be online to receive. Like a npc cargo company that works for more moneyz, takes longer but gets the job done

I think the current mailing system needs a overhaul, having to pay 1.8s mailing cost for a leather armour set from another server just makes no sense, really cripples the market (not a leatherworker, just giving it as example because it is more dramatic than plates which is what I am skilling atm)

Edited by Simyaci

Warp shrines. Drive your vehicle onto it, choose your destination, pay the free....and poof you arrive. They'd be player built, very difficult to make and take a lot of maintenance.

That's what I'd do anyway.

oh, and anyone who truly think faires or imps couldn't carry crates isn't very imaginative.  Wurm is a FANTASY game. Anything is possible.

I like suggeston, however remember that people without 23 Body Strenght I think it is cannot receive these crates because they are not strong enough to load into a cart. Or maybe even embark a cart as dirver. So a really bad problem for noobs.

Well this is the first issue that has come up and i had not thought about that but are we always going to be restricted by what a new player can and can not do? 

I do understand but maybe anyone can be allowed to unload a crate from the mail (not load unload) that way if they do buy something then they can at least get the item and then figure out a way to move it around on their own time. (if nothing else push it a bit)  

Why is that 23 body strength restriction even there anyway? 

Edited by Kegan

Before we start discussing/suggesting mailing crates, let's revisit the bulk merchant idea first. Being able to sell whole crates, bulk arrows, sets of armours from merchant would be the proper place to start.

But to touch the sending crates via mail system, if that should be allowed then we'd need to revisit the whole mail system and remove any limitation on items.

I am fine with both of these i am all for anything that makes the game easier to manage and the mail system does need a review anyway i think.  Don't get me wrong they have been making some great changes but there is much more that could be done to make it even better. 

Edited by Kegan

200px-Heavy_Grand_Duchess_Set.png?t=2012

Faerily easily I would imagine, if they were the size of this brute. Just like Kegan, not really suggesting they could actually do so.

=Ayes=

• Like 6

Faerily easily I would imagine, 

Goddamnit

• Like 8

I would find this very counter-immersive (is that a word?), so no thanks.

So taking away business from shippers.  no thanks. 

Not too many out there, and this is only a good idea for 1-3 crates probably. If you are shipping more than that, then using a boat would still be better money wise.

• Like 1

The biggest issue I see with shipping bulk goods is that item decay, you think your buying 300(x) but it sits in the mail for 5 days and you only see 270(x) then the buyer blames the seller etc... sound like a fight starter.

That said, if the decay was reset on mailing it would help, but say the buyer never picks it up, by the time you get it back there might be only 240 left, this would suck...

IF the timer was stalled during transit and it was too cheap people may post stuff to themselves for the purpose of stopping decay - say the crate has glimmer in it, saving decay on that would be awesome.

Those issues aside, it's not such a bad idea.

What if instead of a mailbox, we could create a ship yard. Maybe min. 2x2 building that a fo priest can cast currier on. It has to be next to deep water. At heighest cast it will take 1 day. It costs 50c per crate. It can go to only one other ship yard. what would be awesome if a player with a boat could come check the house see if there is a Shippment and then take it to deliver it faster for A percentage of the money. The shipper would only have an item that's the size of the full shipment like a contract that can only be delivered to the destination for the money.

• Like 1