Sign in to follow this  
Oberrill

A place far away

Are there any servers where one can build quite some distance from the nearest neighbor? If so, will it stay that way or will the surrounding area be urbanized eventually? I am on Pristine and I walk and walk and cannot seem to escape urban sprawl. There are ugly, extremely wide cobblestone roads everywhere I have walked. I walked the coastline for nearly an hour of real time. I never escaped the ugly roads and fences and walls. If there is a suitable server, can I start a new character or am I stuck on Pristine?

Another question is: What is the point of towns such as Blossom? What is the point of an inn that is just a big empty room? This also applies to every other building I have entered.

I played Wurm for a couple of weeks a year ago and quit due to lack of interest. I thought I would give it another go but after a few hours of "play", I am still mystified as to why anyone would play Wurm.

Most of the smaller 8x8 servers are overpopulated and highly terraformed(especially deliverance, pristine, and release). If you want a server that's less touched, xanadu would be your best bet. Independence also has plenty of large patches of nearly untouched land if you know where to look.

As for why anyone would play wurm, most of us are masochists.

Edited by williamwierd
  • Like 2

You can start a new character. I would recommend going to Xanadu. There is a huge amount of open space in the center of the map, and you can figure out where exactly there is the most open space by looking at the skill dump. I would think it is safe to say that you can settle in the central area of Xanadu without getting any near neighbours any time soon, unless you are pretty unlucky. 

• Like 1

... I am still mystified as to why anyone would play Wurm.

There are many different answers to that question - you will have to find out which of them would apply to you. More than anything else Wurm Online is a game of creativity. Being a pure sandbox the game allows you to do almost anything you can imagine in a medieval fantasy world. You can modify the landscape, build anything from a tiny shack in the woods to a large city, construct mines and bridges, create tools and furniture, build carts, wagons and ships. You can select any profession or career, be a craftsman, a trader, a hunter, an architect, a fighter or even a meditation guru. You can found villages, cities, even kingdoms. And - you can also choose to live as a hermit in the woods.

Ask other players and you will hear many many more reasons for playing Wurm Online...

Edited by Yaga

walking away from any starter town will hardly make you leave "civilization" at least on the old cluster. there are tons of spaces in which you can settle with no one else in local for ever. just don't expect to find this spot on your first day.. best bet would be to make alternative chars and go to each xanadu starter town and walk around since this is the largest server with endless space. especially if you are not looking for coastals

Edited by hoof2000
  • Like 1

Are there any servers where one can build quite some distance from the nearest neighbor? If so, will it stay that way or will the surrounding area be urbanized eventually? I am on Pristine and I walk and walk and cannot seem to escape urban sprawl. There are ugly, extremely wide cobblestone roads everywhere I have walked. I walked the coastline for nearly an hour of real time. I never escaped the ugly roads and fences and walls. If there is a suitable server, can I start a new character or am I stuck on Pristine?

Pristine is pretty well filled up around the starter deed of Blossom, where you will spawn as a new player choosing that server from the Tutorial. If you want a vast landmass to choose from Xanadu would be the best option.

Since you can create 5 characters with one email address, I would think your best bet would just be to create another one and from the Tutorial portal choose Xanadu and one of the starter towns from the list. The advantage here is that Xanadu has 10 starter towns compared to only 1 on the other servers. With this option you can just "suicide" around to each one of them after you arrive there initially. This way you can check out the local areas around them and choose the environment that suits you best.

Yet with your closing comment of trying the game previously and your continued "mystification" of why anyone would play this game, I think a different server than Pristine will not provide you the answer for which you search. I know for myself that from the start the game had a sort of mystifying appeal that held me firm with the wonders I discovered along the way. Years later I find no need to define it but rather to just enjoy the days as they randomly pass doing nothing in particular of any significance but to myself.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Thank you for all the help. I started a new character on Xanadu. I started at Greymead and headed southwest. So far it has been only night so not much has been seen yet. I cut a few logs and made planks. I guess I must be on auto-attack because I killed a wild cat while I was running from it.

If you aren't opposed to PvP/risk, Epic by it's definition avoids a lot of the urban sprawl issues.

• Like 1

Also if you want to be away from others and not risk having new neighbors move next to you, I suggest you stay away from the coastlines as those are highly sought areas.

If Greymead does not seem to have anything, I suggest not carrying anything for now except newbie tools and then "suicide hop" through all of the Xanadu starter towns and spend a day exploring around each as you will cover a lot more area, and possible find parts of the server that are completely untouched.

Check the map linked above and look for areas that seem to have no deeds -- the map is outdated and not accurate but it will still give an idea of what areas are populated / unpopulated