Sign in to follow this  
Delisira

Fishing...

So, as we can't preserve Fish, that brings the annoyance of making it hard to actually make good use of the new RIsotto recipe. 

Fishes can be caught, of differing sizes, but unless you go into special tiles and catch really big things, there isn't much point to it. No Fisherman is going to be able to feed a couple people without spending a whole day doing it, whereas a hunter can go out a few hours and bring back enough meet to last for weeks. 

There is an answer to that, however, and the way I am suggesting to balance it is merely an idea.

Fishing Nets, made out of lots of rope, and some mooring rope (no need to be much stronger thent hat, IMO) 

So, how would it work? Well, for one, the fishing net has a 'chance' to catch a fish for every 10 QL of the Fishing Net, and Rarity increases that by 1. 

However, a fishing net does not yield the same 'quality' of fishes then a fishing rod. You need to have at least 15 or 20 Fishing Skill to effectively use a Net, it can only be used on board of a boat, and needs a dept of 40 dirt. (Most lakes can have that in their centers IMO) 

Note, that the 'Chances' to catch are that. Chances. If you have a QL 50 Fishing Net, you are not guarenteed to get 5 fishes. Each possible fish has a Fishing skill roll to decide either or not one got caught in. As fishing skills increases, the chances would increase.

Some Numbers (Theoretical) to go along with it:

Minimum QL to function: 10 (As below ten, the number of fishes caught is 0. Its to say, the Net is of so poor quality any fishes can break it and escape) 

Chances to Catch: 15% at minimum skill, increasing by around 1% per skill beyond. 

40 dirt deep water needs to be under your boat. The net is thrown by right-clicking on the boat, Nature, Throw Net, with an Active Fishing net in inventory

The Fishingnet would weight about 20 kilos, and be too large to fit into most containers, mostly the only container that could hold it is a boat's cargo. Unlike normal Fishing, Net Fishing would use Stamina, as hauling the net back up is exhaustive. 

• Like 6

I like this idea... Add some depth to a lacking profession. +1

You don't need special tiles to catch big fish if your Fishing skill is good enough, and you can catch enough food in a few hours. But the idea is really nice, it could add variety. :)
An idea: The Fishing net should be dried on the shore on shafts, otherwise it could get damaged really fast, rotting away from the water.
+1

Yeah, but fishing is extremely time consuming. If you need a lot of fishes for supplying your villagers in South Xanadu where hunting is rare as *beep* you need to spend hours on the lake. This idea, once your fishing gets high enough, would allow one to catch bunches of fish quickly, with the drawback of giving little to no skill. You don't get better at fishing when you throw a net, and then haul it up to find it full of fishes. So it does not make Fishing Rods any useless, in that you will still need to have those to skill up properly! 

My idea of how the net fishing would work, would be similar to dredging, really. So instead of 'Dredging for Dirt' you 'Net for Fish' haha. 

While I must disagree about taking all day to feed villagers ( it really does not)  I do always  vote +1 for new fishing content.

Get a decent coc pole spend a day or two raising your skill and you will be happily filleting catfish, adding a pumpkin and cooking away.

I like your idea of fishing while on a boat with a net. That should be what people aspire to become after dabbling with their fishing rod at lower skill.

Edited by Outlaw

Not to mention fishing with a polearm.

Granted fishing spears can have more specialized designs than a spear designed for fighting.