Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Money Redistribution "OPT OUT" option

Maybe we could make a poll and see what everyone else thinks? 

Just kidding...i give up i will agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by Kegan

Maybe we could make a poll and see what everyone else thinks? Please shoot me, lol

Just kidding...i give up i will agree to disagree on this one. Agreed

suns... I'm confused.. :wacko:

reread YOUR first post and then your last answer to me and you'll see why.

My opinion on the list of those who choose to click checkbox and who don't still stands.

OK sorry not following you here. Is it about the not paying upkeep and such with ingame currency?. If it is the point is/was I dont care what it takes as long as the ingame or for that matter any monies I spend do not in any shape form or fashion go into any redistribution pool. If that means paying for everything with cash, fine, I dont care.

I want to have the option to say my money is going to the game, not to players.

And before you say it, YES IT IS MY MONEY, as long as there is money in that pool it is my money, a certain % of it anyways and I do not want to subsidise players with it.

If opting out has consequences, which it will, in a smaller pool, making traders and coin hunting mechanisms less profitable, so be it. these monies do nothing for the game and in fact one could make a pretty strong argument that they invite more problems than anything.

Now if that wasnt what you were pointing at, then im afraid im just missing it.

Why dont you dump all your silver in a wishing well?

Really I think everyone in here that was complaining about this is nothing more than afraid others might tick that box and the pools would get smaller and smaller and smaller till owning a trader or using those redistribution mechanics are no longer worth the effort or trouble. I can only say I would hope that would be the ultimate eventuality. If you have to give away coin to get players interested in the game and use it as a draw, doesnt that raise red flags?, doesnt anyone see a problem with that?, you have to give away money to get players? To keep players? To me thats a problem, its a giant red flag.

Over and Over and Over i hear the same excuse -we dont have the resources to do this, we dont have the resources to do that. We had to let a dev go because we couldnt afford to pay him. Ok CHANGE IT. Get the damn resources and do what needs to be done.

There is a giant pool of money that can be tapped

If CC wants people to make investments then give us the option to make those investments by saying we want 100% of monies spent on the game to go to the game, not to players.

Invest in features that have real and tangible ROI's, for the 1000000'th time a TRADE SYSTEM

trade systems dont use pools

trade systems will make fresh money from day 1

trade systems are ubiquitous throughout the gaming industry and are a tried and proven method to gain players and retain them

listing fees, seller fees, fees of all kinds can be attached ( very small ones) that add up dealing with volume - Instant cash flow for CC and a whole lot less "we dont have the resources nonsense".

Paid devs

Better content

More Content

Less Bugs

More Options

How does contributing to a redistribution pool affect any of that - It simply doesnt, plain and simple. its been in effect via traders and as of late rare coin stuff for quite some time now, And has this done anything at all to improve the game, maybe, i must admit that the rare coin stuff is quite brilliant in many ways, but whatever benifical effect it has had, was not enough to stop a dev from being let go, its not been enough to "hire" new devs, its not been enough to pay current volunteer devs, so its really hard to justify its continued existence other than legacy nonsense.

Bridges, now theres a novel thing -fantastic long awaited feature with absolutely no ROI. The ROI was eaten up in cost overruns a long time ago. the only thing it has going for it, is that its an unknown quantity. It may very well turn up as developing a long term ROI based on player retention, but only time will tell.

The First 5 Hours initiative - Wonderful intentions, many good improvements to the game, especially for new players, looks like it really helped alot, the problem with that was it only got us up to par with the rest of the industry, and arguably barely so at that. Big issue with that was that it seems to have gutted the veteran playerbase a good bit. Promises were made that later on developers would focus on other areas like mid game and late/end game stuff. This has never really materialized -again with the , we dont have the resources.

If CC is hard up for money and resources - STOP GIVING MONEY AWAY, STOP Subsidizing  Your Playerbase Start monetizing things and start developing content that can stand on its own and provide more income as well as address long standing issues.

You need cash to start doing that?

Give me an option to opt out of the redistribution pools.

Why dont you dump all your silver in a wishing well?

Because I dont have the resources to do that, will you buy the stuff for me and put money in the well for me. :)

I catapult coins.

Even launched a silver during a protracted siege once for the lulz

EDIT: MAK'N IT RAIN UP IN HERE!!!

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

Edited by Klaa

Apologies to all who didn't read the irony in my response. I do not think people should be unable to pay their premiums and deeds with earned coins; I'm saying these proposals against traders, and against buying silver outside of the game, and for taking away the fun of finding a few coins here and there - they make as much sense as eliminating paying dues with earned coin.

If we don't get more people into the game, our deeds and premiums will cost more. Anything that makes the game more pleasant and playable - I'm for it.

• Like 2

Choose not to add to pool? Who is gonna track the possible numerous alts you can make and unable them getting anything from the pool? It is one of those suggestions that just aint gonna happen (And I say this as a player who is aware that the pool is abused, drained regularly by few and not really serving newbies much, maybe a very tiny bit, tiny tiny tiny when the pool is miraculously not drained for a moment. I really dislike how pool works right now)

I am all for an "alternative option" to pay for deed upkeep and such with real money on wurm shop with a little discount, but if devs do not do this and many other similar things, then they probably have a good reason and are pleased with the way things are. Funny to see people take personal crusades to help the pockets of devs thinking devs are unable to see things themselves and unable to see what benefits them the most. I think they see the system as running well and they do not want to take any risks.

If you think you know what is best for the devs, tell them privately. why try to get public support on something that does not require it to be considered? I think caring about the pockets of the devs is just an excuse and an obvious one at that. Make your point without hiding behind fake excuses and raise your own concerns about yourself and players in similar position (you are a player and you matter, public support exists to raise voice as a whole and help players and not devs because devs have all the power in their possession to help themselves should they need/desire it) and you might get more support.

If you pay upkeep, it stops being your money. You paid n silver and received n silver worth upkeep and from that moment the money is Rolfs and he can do whatever he wants with it. If you disband your deed, the upkeep left is being transfered to your account, then it becomes your money again.

Edited by rixk

npc's should drop real money

only if you threaten them, lol

I would like to have an option to "opt out" of the redistribution pools.

Meaning

I cannot find rare coins from any method

I may not purchase traders or any other future implementation of a system that allows in game coin to be withdrawn by a player.

I in no way shape fashion or form may have any means to withdraw from any existing pool

The other side of that

Any funds that I may spend on anything that would have those funds deposited into a redistribution pool are not added to any pool and are instead removed permanently from the game.

If people want to have all this redistribution stuff, fine. I want an option to opt out of this system. A little tick box somewhere I can choose to not contribute to the pools in any form.

A very desirable option and a valid suggestion with merit. I would gladly check this box, since I have no desire to get handouts from the god of Wurm. I pay for my game expenses from the Wurm Shop and am not too fond of the current system where it allows others to then get a portion of my payments to play Wurm to lessen their own.

Rather than eliminating these subsidies (handouts) which I doubt will ever happen, at least this would allow some who pay to play the game with their own funds to then remove their Wurm Shop payments from these give-a-way systems. Yes, the more that would choose this option the less those would have available who choose to accept these handout systems. Of course they would not like this and thus some of the responses here.

=Ayes=

Makes me wonder, if this silver redistribution is so bad for Rolf's bottom line (as you claim), why he implemented it.

Well, anyway, here's something fun

And before you say it, YES IT IS MY MONEY, as long as there is money in that pool it is my money, a certain % of it anyways and I do not want to subsidise

The purchase of Silver Coins in the online store is payment for the service which we provide to add the fictional currency to you in game account. Silver, Iron, Copper and Gold coins are deemed to have no value and are purely a function of the game story. Use of this service does not imply ownership of the coins.

Edit: If the coins are all that bad, why not utilize a lava tile?

Edited by Stanlee
  • Like 2

The purchase of Silver Coins in the online store is payment for the service which we provide to add the fictional currency to you in game account. Silver, Iron, Copper and Gold coins are deemed to have no value and are purely a function of the game story. Use of this service does not imply ownership of the coins.

We are not talking about buying coins from the store.

Ahh the screams of terror.

Someone wants to start limiting that slush fund and the screams begin,.

Its just a little option, a wee little tick box where a person can opt out of subsidizing other players, ohhh, how awful that someone said this, how could they not understand, its terrible, our traders will be useless , our free handouts will be gone, we will actually have to play the game, musnt let this happen precious, no we musnt. Nasty wurmian tries to take it from us.

HqthFPW.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex

man if I could control Rolf's (formerly my) money, pvp would be balanced, servers and clusters would be split entirely, and lots of severe bugs would be fixed (lookin' at you memory leaks and positional desync)

Apologies to all who didn't read the irony Troll in my response.Backfired on you did it? I do not think people should be unable to pay their premiums and deeds with earned coins; Nor do I, but we should have the option to have the monies we pay not go into redistribution pools. I'm saying these proposals against traders, and against buying silver outside of the game Not seen one of those got a link?, and for taking away the fun of finding a few coins here and there I dont want to do that, Rolf can still pay for it out of his salary if he wants that to keep going, and look at all the support for traders, as long as those people dont opt out, youll have a pool of coin to subsidize those activities - they make as much sense as eliminating paying dues with earned coin. Im not implying that you cant, Its an option, a little tick box, if you dont like it, dont tick the box.

If we don't get more people into the game, our deeds and premiums will cost more. Anything that makes the game more pleasant and playable - I'm for it.(If you have to pay people to play your game, what does that say about the game?)

Fun fact for those of you who have not read the Wurm Online Game Agreement:

"You have no ownership in the account; this is a service provided by Code Club AB.

Purchase of silver coins is payment for a service provided by Code Club AB. Silver coins have no real world value."

That notion of coin ownership apart I have to say I think this is an awful suggestion made in awful spirit.  It is not a system I would use and it would negatively impact my gameplay and the gameplay of the majority of players.

However I don't have to tick that box, I can be a player who contributes to the wurm community.  I respect your right to want that decision although...  I would ask that my right is also respected, my right to charge people who tick that box double, my right to refuse them services and my right to ignore their opinions.

So +1 iff there is a way to identify players who do tick that box such as a list or a special title...

• Like 1

I think you should watch your mouth - I dont care in the slightest about whether or not there is a pool, what I see here are all the ones that are screaming at the mere thought that people could opt out and make thier own decisions about thier money and how it is used in the game.

If there were no pools all that money would go directly to the devs. Guess what, we could pay for more devs, or pay the ones we have now, You know what comes from paid devs - more content - less buggs - better quality everything -----a better game-----

What comes from subsidising players...Not a damn thing.

So are you going to threaten everyone that comments on this post? I really don't think you should be allowed to post suggestions and ideas if that's what you do, and it's not the first time you've gotten nasty with someone.

Go play another game and stop trying to break the one I love.

• Like 2

Apologies to all who didn't read the irony Troll in my response.Backfired on you did it? I do not think people should be unable to pay their premiums and deeds with earned coins; Nor do I, but we should have the option to have the monies we pay not go into redistribution pools. I'm saying these proposals against traders, and against buying silver outside of the game Not seen one of those got a link?, and for taking away the fun of finding a few coins here and there I dont want to do that, Rolf can still pay for it out of his salary if he wants that to keep going, and look at all the support for traders, as long as those people dont opt out, youll have a pool of coin to subsidize those activities - they make as much sense as eliminating paying dues with earned coin. Im not implying that you cant, Its an option, a little tick box, if you dont like it, dont tick the box.

If we don't get more people into the game, our deeds and premiums will cost more. Anything that makes the game more pleasant and playable - I'm for it.(If you have to pay people to play your game, what does that say about the game?)

1. Troll - No I was not trolling. I will indeed endeavor to be more clear about how I post, more direct. If someone suggests that people should not participate in the game by buying traders for a high cost, and then following the rules of how you interact with them, OR if they say that people should not be allowed to buy coins directly from other players, BUT they think it's ok to pay for deeds or premium with in-game cash, I will call them on it because it's bullsh_t. The activities are no different from one another. I happen to think all are alright.

2. "but we should have the option to have the monies we pay not go into redistribution pools"

This isn't the Fed. Actually, I shouldn't say that because they're full of it too, but the rare coins on the ground didn't come from monies we pay. The devs can make them out of thin air. They're not backed by a gold standard. They're pixels that the devs programmed into the game. Regarding Traders, think of them as a money market or CD - people invest in advance into the game at a high price, and if there's some payout in the months to come (think INTEREST ON INVESTMENT), then they get some money back. And UNLIKE a money market or CD, you can't even get that initial investment back! You are lending money to the game that you can never retrieve. IF there is some interest over time, that's all you get back.

3. against buying silver outside of the game Not seen one of those got a link?

Lordy how did you miss them.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/125447-stop-the-sale-of-gold-in-game-for-real-money/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124542-would-you-still-play-wurm-if-you-could-no-longer-trade-silver-for-real-life-money/

Those are directly about money outside of the game, but there have been a lot also about wishing people couldn't buy accounts, etc. My reaction to them is, get offa my cloud. Play your own game.

4. (If you have to pay people to play your game, what does that say about the game?) Amen Brother. I try my best to give feedback about what I'd pay extra for, and the things I KNOW turn people away from the game. But the coins on the ground did not come from you or me. Really.

+1, for the same reason I buy silver from the shop rather than buying it more cheaply from players.

I want to support the game. That's it. And every silver that gets redistributed is less money in Rolf's pocket. I don't owe you anything, and I really don't care if a smaller silver pool means it'll be harder for you to get your free ride. Unless you paid your premium with real cash, you didn't contribute to the game's development anyway.

Getting free money for foraging and butchering and draining traders is a privilege, not a right, and it's a privilege that is only made possible by those of us who actually put real money into the game. And as such, we should have a say about where that money goes.

• Like 1

+1, for the same reason I buy silver from the shop rather than buying it more cheaply from players.

I want to support the game. That's it. And every silver that gets redistributed is less money in Rolf's pocket. I don't owe you anything, and I really don't care if a smaller silver pool means it'll be harder for you to get your free ride. Unless you paid your premium with real cash, you didn't contribute to the game's development anyway.

Getting free money for foraging and butchering and draining traders is a privilege, not a right, and it's a privilege that is only made possible by those of us who actually put real money into the game. And as such, we should have a say about where that money goes.

Exactly! How players can miss the fact that these free coin give-a-ways are financed by those who make their purchases from the Wurm Shop is beyond my comprehension. Then again, denial when combined with free money available is a powerful thing. Compares readily with governments who tax their citizens and then give-a-way a portion of this through welfare and various subsidies. Someone has to pay for the source of these funds, as the same is true of Wurm.

=Ayes=