Sign in to follow this  
Tsetse

More interactive trader system.

When I saw the poll asking for my opinion about introducing traders on Xanadu I had the same feeling as if a friend asked me if he should start smoking again. Why would you even ask that? The old trader system is flawed and lazy. The idea is good since silver need to come from somewhere but old trader system is just so lazy.

I have a suggestion how to make it more interactive by modifying already existing game features.

Instead of finding coins when you forage and botanize you find new kinds of rare herbs, amber, truffels and other luxury items, they can have a nice model and be used as component for decoration items but their main use is to create a trade good item that you sell to a trader for a combined value of up to a silver depending on quality. Butchering critters would also come with a chance to drop rare items and trophies that can be used to create decoration items or combined to create a trade good item and sold to a trader.

Instead of finding coins on the ground or when you kill a spider you find trade good components that can be sold to a trader for similar value to the coins that we find today.

To make it more interesting the player who buy and place a trader profit only when trade goods is sold to his trader. You will then have traders bidding for trade goods to buy from players who are hunting or foraging and might even supply newbies to hunt and forage exclusively for him because it will make his trader create more profit for him instead of other traders.

With a few more additions it can create a fun market alternative to pvp where you would have strong trade guilds and alliances fighting for market shares on Freedom instead of through war.

It would also be a nice addition to player made dungeons that I suggested earlier. A good trade guild needs to have good dungeons to hunt trinkets and trophies in so it will add to creativity and make Wurm PVE more fun to play.

Short version

• Instead of forage or hunt for coins you forage and hunt for trade goods components that can be combined and sold to traders for similar value.
  • Trade goods can also be used to create trophies and decorative items.
  • Owner of trader earn his coins when players sell trade goods to his trader.
  • Player made dungeons and castles can make hunting a more interesting PVE activity and give builders a reason to build.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/125196-player-made-pve-content-and-dungeons/

• Like 1

When I saw the poll asking for my opinion about introducing traders on Xanadu I had the same feeling as if a friend asked me if he should start smoking again. Why would you even ask that? The old trader system is flawed and lazy. The idea is good since silver need to come from somewhere but old trader system is just so lazy.

I have a suggestion how to make it more interactive by modifying already existing game features.

Instead of finding coins when you forage and botanize you find new kinds of rare herbs, amber, truffels and other luxury items, they can have a nice model and be used as component for decoration items but their main use is to create a trade good item that you sell to a trader for a combined value of up to a silver depending on quality. Butchering critters would also come with a chance to drop rare items and trophies that can be used to create decoration items or combined to create a trade good item and sold to a trader.

Instead of finding coins on the ground or when you kill a spider you find trade good components that can be sold to a trader for similar value to the coins that we find today.

To make it more interesting the player who buy and place a trader profit only when trade goods is sold to his trader. You will then have traders bidding for trade goods to buy from players who are hunting or foraging and might even supply newbies to hunt and forage exclusively for him because it will make his trader create more profit for him instead of other traders.

With a few more additions it can create a fun market alternative to pvp where you would have strong trade guilds and alliances fighting for market shares on Freedom instead of through war.

It would also be a nice addition to player made dungeons that I suggested earlier. A good trade guild needs to have good dungeons to hunt trinkets and trophies in so it will add to creativity and make Wurm PVE more fun to play.

Short version

• Instead of forage or hunt for coins you forage and hunt for trade goods components that can be combined and sold to traders for similar value.

Trade goods can also be used to create trophies and decorative items.

Owner of trader earn his coins when players sell trade goods to his trader.

Player made dungeons and castles can make hunting a more interesting PVE activity and give builders a reason to build.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/125196-player-made-pve-content-and-dungeons/

+1.

Not sure about the trade goods scavenging but I like the idea of decorative items and player made dungeons, would definetly allow for some awesome gameplay, and would be a nice attraction for potential Wurmians in the future.

The reason I´m talking about traders and trade goods is because there was a poll about introducing the old trader system to Xanadu which immediately made me feel depressed about Wurm devs seriously suggesting taking a step backwards to an old broken system.

Trade goods would make traders more interesting then just lifeless cash cows that you lock up in a room for about 30 days each month.

Trade goods would also make more sense then finding coins on the ground or when you kill a spider.

It will hopefully make you interact with other players to convert your trade goods into coins and lead to new players having things to do since everyone will be fighting for people to join their village and feed their trader.

Edited by Tsetse

-1 To me this is only marginally better than what we have already

How can it be -1 íf its better then what we already have?

How can it be -1 íf its better then what we already have?

Because it's not nearly far reaching enough for my taste. I've always disliked traders in their current form and this suggestion merely provides some small insignificant patch, which really won't do anything good.

I quite like this idea actually, it makes traders a community based thing rather than a private silver mine.

However for people who live in remote areas it would be a drastic loss of income (I have to sail for an hour to reach the nearest trader).

Why not allow these trade goods to be sold at deed tokens for a similar value to coins foraged at the moment (or slightly reduced) and also allow them to be sold to player owned traders for an increased value (1.5x), the if sold to a trader the trader's owner gets a % of the sale value in coins added to their bank.

This would be a powerful incentive for players to travel (you might have people visiting remote deeds offering to buy up trade items to sell at a trader for a profit), it means that better established players can still take their cut (though no longer at the expense of everyone else as it was before) and, more importantly, it would encourage community communication.

Making trade goods "useful" in the sense of decorations is also a nice touch, though some functional use would also be nice (amber as gem, truffles as a high difficulty cooking ingredient, baby spiders as a wonderful way to say "I hate you").

+1

As for the scavenging/foraging goods: personally I can bear with the random coin stuff because it's a) really a rare occurrence and b.) wasn't hard to implement (it was one of Rolf's ninja updates). Any embellishments on this random lottery-like system I'd find a waste of time and effort. I'm all for introducing special ingredients, just don't make them too random (simply spawn them on a particular type of tile - amber on sand, coal inside rock in mines, truffels on tree tiles, and make them simply pickup items like mushrooms - this encourages exploration rather than lots of clicking).

I'm not keen on an NPC shadow economy and I don't understand where the silver comes from in your trader suggestion. If I own a trader I want to set the prices higher for the trade goods so people actually sell to my trader? But isn't that my silver that he hands out to other people? Where do I even profit from this? Or is silver somehow created for this purpose and I get a share from this? Just not sure why I would want to buy those trade goods via a trader.

I'd much rather that these things have an intrinsic value for the players - for instance there could be a distinction between dyes (for cloth items) and paint (for wood items), and these ingredients might be used as powerful ingredients for either of those. Or they could be one-time boosters for the imping process when applied (allowing a huge jump in ql if successful, based on skill etc of course). Or they could prevent shattering on a cast on an item for a single cast. Or they could have some special saccing purpose.

It's always more fun if people actually seek these items out for their use, rather than just have them be a dead commodity / treasure.

Other than that I like your line of thought very much.

Edited by Marshlander

I quite like this idea actually, it makes traders a community based thing rather than a private silver mine.

However for people who live in remote areas it would be a drastic loss of income (I have to sail for an hour to reach the nearest trader).

Why not allow these trade goods to be sold at deed tokens for a similar value to coins foraged at the moment (or slightly reduced) and also allow them to be sold to player owned traders for an increased value (1.5x), the if sold to a trader the trader's owner gets a % of the sale value in coins added to their bank.

This would be a powerful incentive for players to travel (you might have people visiting remote deeds offering to buy up trade items to sell at a trader for a profit), it means that better established players can still take their cut (though no longer at the expense of everyone else as it was before) and, more importantly, it would encourage community communication.

Making trade goods "useful" in the sense of decorations is also a nice touch, though some functional use would also be nice (amber as gem, truffles as a high difficulty cooking ingredient, baby spiders as a wonderful way to say "I hate you").

+1

If you chose to live remotely then trade naturally becomes difficult, but you can always save up a few trade goods before you travel to trader or sell them to another player who will come and pick them up. Perhaps someone will put a trader in a remote place because all the good trader spots are already taken.

As for the scavenging/foraging goods: personally I can bear with the random coin stuff because it's a) really a rare occurrence and b.) wasn't hard to implement (it was one of Rolf's ninja updates). Any embellishments on this random lottery-like system I'd find a waste of time and effort. I'm all for introducing special ingredients, just don't make them too random (simply spawn them on a particular type of tile - amber on sand, coal inside rock in mines, truffels on tree tiles, and make them simply pickup items like mushrooms - this encourages exploration rather than lots of clicking).

I'm not keen on an NPC shadow economy and I don't understand where the silver comes from in your trader suggestion. If I own a trader I want to set the prices higher for the trade goods so people actually sell to my trader? But isn't that my silver that he hands out to other people? Where do I even profit from this? Or is silver somehow created for this purpose and I get a share from this? Just not sure why I would want to buy those trade goods via a trader.

I'd much rather that these things have an intrinsic value for the players - for instance there could be a distinction between dyes (for cloth items) and paint (for wood items), and these ingredients might be used as powerful ingredients for either of those. Or they could be one-time boosters for the imping process when applied (allowing a huge jump in ql if successful, based on skill etc of course). Or they could prevent shattering on a cast on an item for a single cast. Or they could have some special saccing purpose.

It's always more fun if people actually seek these items out for their use, rather than just have them be a dead commodity / treasure.

Other than that I like your line of thought very much.

The silver that you get from selling trade goods will be the same value as the silver you get today from hunting and foraging its just packaged and sold to a trader instead. The person who owns the trader can encourage you to use his trader by giving you a discount on his crafted items and enchantments or just buy your trade goods from you and sell it to his own trader if he knows that he will get a boost from his trader. The people who buys and place traders will profit on them eventually but I don´t see a problem with that if they also have to create a community that works for it so traders will not be something that everyone will bother with. I don't see any problem if someone make silver by being a good community builder and or dungeon builder if that becomes a thing.

I like the idea to make some components also appear visibly so that you can run across them while out exploring and mine them, dig them or cut them. Or getting certain components when you forage on certain tiles, they have this mechanic in the game already since you find more acorns around oak trees. By having certain components appear reliably from certain critters or tiles you can even make hunting sea creatures into a market.

That´s clever to suggest that some trade goods such as a hilt could be used as QL booster and final touch when imping but that would require a bit more work for the developers so that you dont put a hilt on a hilt. Maybe if the hilt act as an enchantment so that you can't "bless" it with a hilt twice, then it would also always be in the discription when you inspect it along with other boosters that you have added.

The silver that you get from selling trade goods will be the same value as the silver you get today from hunting and foraging its just packaged and sold to a trader instead. The person who owns the trader can encourage you to use his trader by giving you a discount on his crafted items and enchantments or just buy your trade goods from you and sell it to his own trader if he knows that he will get a boost from his trader. The people who buys and place traders will profit on them eventually but I don´t see a problem with that if they also have to create a community that works for it so traders will not be something that everyone will bother with. I don't see any problem if someone make silver by being a good community builder and or dungeon builder if that becomes a thing.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly... you want to redirect the redistribution from foraging and similar in-game activities back to traders?

Wouldn't people just lock up their traders like they did before, set the trade goods prices really high, buy the "useless" trade goods components from other players at low price and then go and milk that redistribution pool like crazy from the prices they set for their trade goods?

What is wrong with the wider redistribution that you want to hand it back to the trader owners?

There wouldn´t be any reason to lock the trader up since every time someone sells trade goods to his trader he make some coins. Yes he could try to buy trade goods from other players by using part of his profit to make sure he gets more trade goods for his Trader but that would be part of the trade game between trade guilds and alliances. You dont set prices for trade goods on the Trader, he just buy them for a similar value as what you would get from finding coins today. So if someone want to buy trade goods from another player he has to pay more for it then what the player would get from selling it himself.

The problem with current coin distribution is that it´s a boring mechanic to just forage for coins when it could be expanded into a more interesting gameplay that involves some interaction with other players. It also help some people get more money then others so that they can afford to expand and improve the experience they offer to the rest of the players. Some people want to play this game to pretend that they are rich and important community builders and I think traders could help them do that.