Sign in to follow this  
LilyPhoenix

Make Phobia Mode Spiders Normal Size

Hello!

I made this thread once before, back shortly after I joined. I have quite a bad phobia of spiders, and I don't understand why the spider blobs of Phobia Mode should be SO TINY compared to what spiders look like originally. It's not really fair to make those with arachnophobia have to take off grass or run onto roads just to be able to fight spiders that any non-phobic player can fight perfectly well.

This is what the spider blobs look like, with phobia mode activated - which, for me, actually makes it more worrying that I can't -see- where the damned things are:

AfxDW.jpg

Edited by LilyPhoenix
  • Like 5

I have gone hunting with a friend (you know who you are) and it's ridiculous how gimped people with arachnophobia become because of this. He had a heap of spiders running after him and I couldn't understand why he didn't just stop to kill them, turned out he couldn't even see them...

+1

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

Yep "phobia mode" is mostly called that because it induces phobia

• Like 1

An alternative could be to just use the model of another creature. You can tell its a spider instead by hovering over it and reading the name.

That way, it wouldn't take any dev time and you don't see blobs instead.

Edited by Outlaw

Yep "phobia mode" is mostly called that because it induces phobia

They make you more afraid of tiny blobs, so you're not as afraid of giant spiders.

I'm honestly not trying to come off like a jerk when I ask this...but is a fear of digital spiders on a computer really a thing?  You know they can't hurt you or even touch you.

I agree with OP, I love blobs in every game but they are too small in Wurm.

+1, pretty silly they are super tiny and you can't find them :>

I'm honestly not trying to come off like a jerk when I ask this...but is a fear of digital spiders on a computer really a thing?  You know they can't hurt you or even touch you.

Most ordinary spiders you come across in your daily life typically can't hurt you either, it's the irrational fear that makes it a phobia. Being afraid of things that can legitimately hurt you is not a phobia, it's self-preservation. It doesn't make "less sense" for arachnophobes to be afraid of digital spiders than real ones.

• Like 1

Video games tend to try and base things on reality. Wurm is no exception. When you're dealing with human senses, it often doesn't matter whether it's real or on a computer screen. It tends to have similar affect as the spider models are based on real life.

Yes. I even have to use the Bear mod on Skyrim, because the sight of spiders that huge scares the out of me. Even though I can pummel the spiders with my maul, I'm still frightened and spooked by the sight of them.

Most ordinary spiders you come across in your daily life typically can't hurt you either, it's the irrational fear that makes it a phobia. Being afraid of things that can legitimately hurt you is not a phobia, it's self-preservation. It doesn't make "less sense" for arachnophobes to be afraid of digital spiders than real ones.

This. I have trouble with spiders bigger than money spiders (for those unfamiliar with the term, they're about the size of an 'o').

To be fair, the response to this thread is much better than it was to the same thread I made on the subject back when I started Wurm - most of it was trolling and abuse...

Ooo puppies and kittens! B)

Aye had no idea the phobia mode was so small.

The old spider models were bad enough, they laid so flat to hide in the grass or small valleys, so I can kind of understand how annoying that can be.

It's as real as being afraid of tiny little real spiders that cannot harm you in any way either. It's an irrational fear, there's basically no real strong argument that convinces you they're scary. They're just... scary. That's what makes it irrational.

Keep in mind that phobia mode was designed to be "worse" than actual spider models. You're not really supposed to play the game this way, but the mode exists for people who can otherwise not play the game at all. There should never be cases of people turning on phobia mode because it gives them an advantage somehow, which is why the models are so small.

That said, I think the models can definitely be a bit bigger than what they are right now.

I think replacing the spider models with chickens in phobia mode would be a fine compromise, plus easy to implement.

I look forward to seeing a guy running for his life, chased by a flock of angry chickens. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

It's as real as being afraid of tiny little real spiders that cannot harm you in any way either. It's an irrational fear, there's basically no real strong argument that convinces you they're scary. They're just... scary. That's what makes it irrational.

Keep in mind that phobia mode was designed to be "worse" than actual spider models. You're not really supposed to play the game this way, but the mode exists for people who can otherwise not play the game at all. There should never be cases of people turning on phobia mode because it gives them an advantage somehow, which is why the models are so small.

That said, I think the models can definitely be a bit bigger than what they are right now.

Please explain how it's at all advantageous to have a blob model the same size or a bit smaller than a spider model, or at all advantageous to be running through the grass unable to SEE what's chasing and hurting you because you're terrified of spiders.

How the hell is that an advantage? Also, 'you're not really supposed to play the game this way' - excuse me? Why should phobia mode be more difficult to target what's chasing you, for those of us who have an irrational fear of spiders?

• Like 1

Probably referring to keeping it from being something more noticeable than the current spider model. Granted the phobia mode is a pretty old feature, it was around even before I started. Also I maybe used it only a couple times in the beginning.

So no idea if its been updated at all to keep up with changes in the model/gfx systems.

I like using the chicken model in its place, and players running from a horde of chickens. Heh Zelda

Also reminds me of the comic adventures of ImaNewbie in Ultima Online. Website went down many years ago, and I had to dig around for it through some web archives (no idea how complete it is, and check out that web design... ah memories):

http://web.archive.org/web/20110914042340fw_/http://www.imanewbie.com/loband/lo-ima-frameset.shtml

EDIT: Sadly it seems the image links for the actual sprite cartoons are down.

Edited by Klaa

Lily, what he meant was, they do not want people without phobias turning on phobia mode just to make combat easier.

So whatever they did with spiders, it must somehow be a little bit harder  or it would be tempting for everyone to just turn it on anytime thery go hunting.

But maybe now it is too hard so he is agreeing it could be modified a bit. 

Lily, what he meant was, they do not want people without phobias turning on phobia mode just to make combat easier.

So whatever they did with spiders, it must somehow be a little bit harder  or it would be tempting for everyone to just turn it on anytime thery go hunting.

But maybe now it is too hard so he is agreeing it could be modified a bit. 

Sorry, I just get very easily agitated with the subject. Still not sure how a blob is easier than a spider though, when the spiders are so big.

a GIANT BIG blob that was the size of a huge spider, would be easier. Because there are no thin low to the ground legs, a large CUBE marching towards you would be very easy to spot. It would really stick out from a distance. No hiding behind tall grass or bushes. 

So it had to be smaller. They just ... over did it. They recognize that. 

So they cannot be normal size (100 percent) and they shouldn't be minature (20 percent). Now all that is left is picking a random number between those two.   (You may have to keep nagging a few more years, only because that is how things works around here. Nag for years and one day - PRESTO! -- YAY! they do it. But the NAG list is very long now. I would just, every 3-6 months or as soon as this one gets archived, make a new post.)

Personally, I think the arachnophobes around here should be grateful that they even have such a feature in the first place.

There are a million other types of phobias that this game can trigger, and none of them have checkboxes to turn them off/alter them.

I.E.:
ombrophobia (rain)
chionophobia (snow)
thalassophobia (large bodies of water)
ophidiophobia (snakes)
murophobia (rats)
selachophobia (sharks)
cetaphobia (whales)
gephyrophobia (bridges)
hylophobia (trees/woods)
anthophobia (flowers)
hemophobia (blood)
aichmophobia (knives/swords/sharp things)
arcophobia (heights and/or falling)
claustrophobia (enclosed/confined spaces)
nyctophobia (darkness)

etc.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 3

So, patronising attitude aside, your post wasn't constructive in the least, As_I_Decay. Thanks!

Maybe 75%, Brash, sound fair? I'll keep on suggesting it :)

Now it's gotten to "People with phobias shouldn't have an easier time targeting spiders than me"

REALLY?????

I mean... goddammit....REALLY!??

• Like 1

I don't see a problem with making the bigger or even changing them to something else entirely... not sure how a big blob is any easier to see than a ven troll in a forest or field... they could just be made to look like shadow people or something? I would turn on phobia mode for that :P