Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Make Mounted Animals Non-Attackable

Ok after testing it myself there is something about this that is bugged.  :o

The 'No Target' function does not work on a horse while mounted.

That is indeed a bug that needs to be fixed.  

While it would not solve the problem of the horse being targeted in the first place it would make it where you could stop attacking it before you killed the horse.

'No Target' doesn't stop your target (in this case your horse) from getting back at you. For 'No Target' to really work and stop fighting you'll have to get far enough away your target that it loses its target (stops following you).

'No Target' doesn't stop your target (in this case your horse) from getting back at you. For 'No Target' to really work and stop fighting you'll have to get far enough away your target that it loses its target (stops following you).

It is true that the horse may still keep attacking you but you would not be attacking the horse.  

There are many circumstances such as you are fighting a spider and a hellhound comes up you can no target the spider and target the hellhound, even though the spider will continue attacking you.

The bug I found is that if you target your horse, while riding it, then you cannot no target it nor can you target anything else.  I tried to target nearby sheep bison even a bear ( thinking an aggro animal might be different result) but it stayed targeted on the horse no matter what as long as I was on it.  When I disembarked, the horse was still attacking me but I could then target any of the other creatures.

It is true that the horse may still keep attacking you but you would not be attacking the horse.  

There are many circumstances such as you are fighting a spider and a hellhound comes up you can no target the spider and target the hellhound, even though the spider will continue attacking you.

The bug I found is that if you target your horse, while riding it, then you cannot no target it nor can you target anything else.  I tried to target nearby sheep bison even a bear ( thinking an aggro animal might be different result) but it stayed targeted on the horse no matter what as long as I was on it.  When I disembarked, the horse was still attacking me but I could then target any of the other creatures.

Ok. But If the horse attacks you, you will automatically hit back unless you're targeting some other mob, right?

Yes I understand this is a sandbox. But the option to kill the very horse you are riding is kind of like having the "option" to drive your pickaxe into the hull of your Caravell and sink it while you happen to be in the middle of the ocean.

Actually I would like that option!

"Damn romans not gonna take my ship this time! Muhahahaaa!"

I think we should have more freedom and less restrictions, this sounds like a massive restriction much like how we can't jump. I can only imagine a new person coming to play and realise he/she can't jump over a small wall, and they magically can't attack the mount thy are on.

New people are HORRIFIED when they accidentally kill their own horses in Wurm.  I don't think you'll EVER hear a new player going "OMG why I can't I murder this brand new 5 speed someone just gave me!!???"

Ok. But If the horse attacks you, you will automatically hit back unless you're targeting some other mob, right?

If you have no mobs to target then you can jump off and run away to lose the aggro.  

But if you are fighting something (like a hellhound) you would most likely want to deal with it first rather than give it and the horse free shots at your back  while running away to lose aggro on the horse while fighting the mob.

If you double click to agressive enemy you can hit that and so you can't choose your horse.

So I think one of the worst times I can recall in Wurm, was when I realized that I accidentally (look I blame lag ok) started attacking my prized 5 speed horse while I was riding it.  Before I could figure out what to do, I had murdered it!  :(

And now it's just happened to a good friend who I brought into the game.  For her it was a most....sad and upsetting experience.

Now I know things like this happen.  And horses are pretty cheap these days.  But I put it to you of the Wurm community:

Is there a reason why we can attack animals that we're riding?  It seems like there's no legitimate reason why you would WANT to kill an amimal you were currently riding.

Personally I would like this 'feature' removed.  But I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this.  Surely I can't be the only one this has happened to....well I hope not lol.

This one time Igot mad at my horse for being slow and killed it ... no regreatz

Name one scenario where you would want to kill the horse you are mounted on?

Especially when killing it flatfooted is not an adequate option?

It doesn't need to be a conscious decision to not kill your own mounted horse every time you swing.

This becomes a subconscious reaction when fighting and thus should be handled by an assumed rule.

When you learn martial arts, the instructor doesn't tell you to actively focus on not hitting yourself.

Make it easier to hit the intended target.

• Like 1

Name one scenario where you would want to kill the horse you are mounted on?

Especially when killing it flatfooted is not an adequate option?

It doesn't need to be a conscious decision to not kill your own mounted horse every time you swing.

This becomes a subconscious reaction when fighting and thus should be handled by an assumed rule.

When you learn martial arts, the instructor doesn't tell you to actively focus on not hitting yourself.

Make it easier to hit the intended target.

Even Bruce Lee hit himself with a weapon on occasion so hitting a horse you are riding is definitely possible; but you should be able to stop hitting them as you would not beat yourself to death.

I believe this is intentional because of Hellhorses not really PVP.  Rolf wants Hellhorses to be dangerous and difficult to ride or lead.  If you are leading a Hellhorse and it attacks you it will do damage to you but you will not do damage to it, yet if you are leading a non-aggro animal and attack it it does not attack back and your attacks do no damage to it.

The easiest/ best fix I see for this is to make it so that if you 'no target' a non-aggressive (blue outlined) animal it stops attacking immediately.  Currently they do not attack until you do damage to them so that would end the fight before the horse was killed.

+1 bump to top

I almost killed the horse i was riding because of a misplaced right click before attack->target on a pig.. good thing i'm bad with the axe or i would have killed him..

This is definitely a bug, not a feature..

UNIX was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things, as that would also stop them from doing clever things.

â€” Doug Gwyn

• Like 1

Being able to kill my mount means that I can be super lazy and get the gear off an untamed horse and disembark at the same time in one or two swings of my weapon and only one click which is nice when rushing to get on a boat. Maybe the option to remove it from the menu like things such as 'no target' and 'examine' for those who seem to have a problem accidently doing this but removing the choice altogether is too much.

• Like 2

Sme as was stated, we would be perfectly fine with this being an option.

And that was me stating my approval of the option in that condition unless you don't want support for the suggestion ;)

+1 bump to top

I almost killed the horse i was riding because of a misplaced right click before attack->target on a pig.. good thing i'm bad with the axe or i would have killed him..

This is definitely a bug, not a feature..

It's not a bug, simply pay attention to what is in your target window. And if the horse screams that's your first indication that something isn't right.

• Like 1

I have been following this for a while and tbh its kinda funny. It has happened to me more then once, specially if you hunt and target something the same second the horse head pops right infront of your mouse. But i really can understand that it was my fault and i am not sure if this is needed. If this is a something easy to to - sure go ahead, but i do not think this should be priority with the bugs in this game so a +1/-1 from me. It is annoying but easily avoidable.

• Like 2

And that was me stating my approval of the option in that condition unless you don't want support for the suggestion ;)

Of course I want support.  Apologies if I phrased that in a way that indicated otherwise :)

If this is a something easy to to - sure go ahead, but i do not think this should be priority with the bugs in this game so a +1/-1 from me. It is annoying but easily avoidable.

There are bugs in this game literally years old.  If we stopped all quality-of-life improvements until bugs are fixed, I think you would not be too happy with that situation.

Is this a huge deal?  Nope, I get that.  But this forum is for suggestions, and I really think this needs to be explored.  Because the problem is twofold:

1.  It's too easy to accidentally target your mount and attack it.  And a new player probably doesn't even think it should be possible to do so.  Why would he/she?  In other MMO's you can tab-target only aggressive mobs, NEVER your own mount or a friend.

2.  Once you are in combat with your mount, panic sets in and there's no real way to break combat with your mount.  No target doesn't work.  Dismounting and running away *might* work, but then again there's a bear or something beating on you as well, and now you're on foot WITHOUT your mount to help you escape.  You're probably going to die at this point, all because of a silly oversight/bug.

This brings up other issues as well.  If auto-attack is off, then why are we forced to auto-attack our horse when we don't want to?

Also this could be construed as PVP on PVE servers.  If I have a horse I'm caring for, that's branded so it's part of my village, how does it make sense that I can be put in a situation where I can kill it while I'm riding it?

I've literally known people who have quit the game over this.  It can be a HORRIBLE experience for a new player, and making some elitist glib "Well just don't do that" comment isn't really helping guys.  How hard could it be to just give us the option to NOT attack mounts?  Or to rework the combat system so we can actually disengage combat when we accidentally attack a mount?

Edited by Proximo
  • Like 2

I want the ability to attack my mount.  (This makes Wurm awesome)

BUT it shouldn't be by accident... it should be only directly intentional.

Change it so it's NOT easy to do, accidentally.

Edited by dasfry
  • Like 1

Of course I want support.  Apologies if I phrased that in a way that indicated otherwise :)

There are bugs in this game literally years old.  If we stopped all quality-of-life improvements until bugs are fixed, I think you would not be too happy with that situation.

Is this a huge deal?  Nope, I get that.  But this forum is for suggestions, and I really think this needs to be explored.  Because the problem is twofold:

1.  It's too easy to accidentally target your mount and attack it.  And a new player probably doesn't even think it should be possible to do so.  Why would he/she?  In other MMO's you can tab-target only aggressive mobs, NEVER your own mount or a friend. It is not that easy to attack your own mount. You either have target keybinded and have to select the horse or you have to right click - target. Easy would be if i would have to push E and it would attack my mount.

2.  Once you are in combat with your mount, panic sets in and there's no real way to break combat with your mount.  No target doesn't work.  Dismounting and running away *might* work, but then again there's a bear or something beating on you as well, and now you're on foot WITHOUT your mount to help you escape.  You're probably going to die at this point, all because of a silly oversight/bug. Been there, done that. The same thing is with your HH if it goes untamed. Now ill give you an idea how to make your horse surivive - Unequipt your weapon and go defensive. It takes 4 seconds. Run to safety and disembark. After that just step 5-10 tiles away and voila. You 2 are friends again (I suggest no target after disembarking). If you are fighting afk and start attacking your horse it then ofc you cannot get away.

This brings up other issues as well.  If auto-attack is off, then why are we forced to auto-attack our horse when we don't want to?

Also this could be construed as PVP on PVE servers.  If I have a horse I'm caring for, that's branded so it's part of my village, how does it make sense that I can be put in a situation where I can kill it while I'm riding it?

I've literally known people who have quit the game over this.  It can be a HORRIBLE experience for a new player, and making some elitist glib "Well just don't do that" comment isn't really helping guys.  How hard could it be to just give us the option to NOT attack mounts?  Or to rework the combat system so we can actually disengage combat when we accidentally attack a mount?

I don´t know who would quit over this and the idea of my previous post was that we have much bigger issues (and this is coming from someone who plays pvp servers where if you lose your horse while hunting you can die very very easily and fast). I am suggesting what you can do. Now yes, this is a suggestion forum section and there is always a RIGHT to give my(and everyone elses) output to this idea meaning i can -1 this if i want. Calling me out on because you think this is the worst thing in the world shows that there is only 1 answer and that is +1. I can dislike everything i want and -1 everything i want but instead of that i read thru all the posts above and gave my idea of this suggestion and its importance.

Where did I call you out or claim you can't have a different opinion?  I was simply expounding my position and giving more reasoning why I felt a change is warranted.  Do we have bigger issues?  Yes, I never denied that.  I see lots of suggestions here that aren't that big of a deal, but that's the point of players giving feedback.  Fixing lots of little issues is just as important as fixing big ones, in my opinion.  Both raise the overall quality and end-user experience.

I am suggesting what you can do.

This thread isn't about me.  I haven't accidentally killed a mount in three years.  But the simple fact that's it's even possible is, in my opinion, a game flaw.   You can't attack animals mounted to a cart/wagon.  You can't attack animals you are leading with a rope.  So why can you attack and kill a horse you are riding?  There's just no consistency here, it makes no sense.

Calling me out on because you think this is the worst thing in the world

Wait now..what?  I thought we were having a discussion.  I was responding to your points not calling you out.  Was I being hostile, trolling, or overly negative toward you?  I apologize if you thought I was, that was certainly not my intention.

I don't want limited to just my horse. I want to be able to detonate my car while driving too. Someone call GM. This feature is missing for both models we have.

• Like 2

This is a mechanic i like, however if it come down to a separation of server types +1 pve   big  -1 for pvp.

Just update in this thread, mounts will be non-attackable starting with next server update. (PvE change only)

• Like 5