Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Make Mounted Animals Non-Attackable

So I think one of the worst times I can recall in Wurm, was when I realized that I accidentally (look I blame lag ok) started attacking my prized 5 speed horse while I was riding it.  Before I could figure out what to do, I had murdered it!  :(

And now it's just happened to a good friend who I brought into the game.  For her it was a most....sad and upsetting experience.

Now I know things like this happen.  And horses are pretty cheap these days.  But I put it to you of the Wurm community:

Is there a reason why we can attack animals that we're riding?  It seems like there's no legitimate reason why you would WANT to kill an amimal you were currently riding.

Personally I would like this 'feature' removed.  But I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this.  Surely I can't be the only one this has happened to....well I hope not lol.

• Like 8

Because it makes sense that you can attack mounts. It would be an unreasonable restriction for a game that has freedom to play as you like.

Maybe add helmets to horses instead that protect them from clumpsy drivers?

But yeah, that happened to alot of us. Not fun standing in the middle of aggro animals just to realise you killed your only way of escaping - your own horse.

Whats more irritating is that aggro animals attack horses, but thats how it is i suppose. Thats why i stopped using horses, i walk instead.

-1 though, pay more attention to what you're doing. I like the freedom of being able to kill my mount without having to waste time disembarking. 

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

He means that the player riding shouldn't be able to attack his own mount.

-1 though, pay more attention to what you're doing. I like the freedom of being able to kill my mount without having to waste time disembarking. 

He understood you. Trust me. and a -1 from me also. Not that hard to see what you are targeting. Also would make HH fun if you manage to mount them and not attack.

• Like 1

I'm betting almost every player at some time has killed their mount by mistake, just as most have thrown something important at an enemy while learning how to use ranged lol. Would prolly get too buggy especially in pvp if any 'fix' was attempted imo.

"Mthoodyn..Whats more irritating is that aggro animals attack horses, but thats how it is i suppose. Thats why i stopped using horses, i walk"

This happens with tamed animals they're defending you as a good 0et should. Tame a chicken or dog before setting out so your mount looses tame, then the fight will be between you and aggro only ;)

Yes I understand this is a sandbox.  But the option to kill the very horse you are riding is kind of like having the "option" to drive your pickaxe into the hull of your Caravell and sink it while you happen to be in the middle of the ocean.

• Like 3

when you right-click for targeting, even before you select 'target', the right-click window will state, on top in the header, exactly what you have selected (i.e. mountain lion, old horse, etc.)... you don't have to continue and select 'target' if by mistake you selected the ear of your mount...

also not compatible with pvp.

and never happened to me so far (selecting 'target' after accidentally right-clicking the ear of my mount).

You can use the target window. = if it shows a horse instead of a troll you no target and re-target troll.

I have never killed my own horse while riding;

Although I am guilty of using a shovel as a javelin facedancer. :lol:

P.S.  We have actually been asking for the option to sink our own ships.  :P

also not compatible with pvp.

lol wut?

he's talking about accidentally targetting your own mount that you are currently riding which is a problem for those who actually know enough about the most basic parts of the game to have a target keybind, let alone how to actually pvp...

+1, accidentally targetting your own mount sucks

lol wut?

he's talking about accidentally targetting your own mount that you are currently riding which is a problem for those who actually know enough about the most basic parts of the game to have a target keybind, let alone how to actually pvp...

+1, accidentally targetting your own mount sucks

What Roysta means is this would be very difficult to code for PVP.

Am I missing something?  So it's a part of PVP to be able to kill your own horse while you are riding it?  I'm not talking about being unable to kill OTHER people's horses.

I'm a bit confused.

Or what about making it an option in the game settings?  That way if you like the way it is, you can play that way.

Edited by Proximo

-1, it can be useful, like in pvp if you know your horse is going down and there is nothing you can do you can finish it off your self, grab the gear and hope your res stone works lel.

Also don't bind target to a key if you can't control it.

I'm undecided.

Yes, it has happened to a lot of people and me as well to have killed my mount. And I can't see any negative aspect for the game when we remove the possibility. Still, my own clumsiness is also somewhat funny (at least in retrospective) and I wouldn't want to miss the experience of slowly walking back home on foot with a tamed bison as body guard. I call it the "walk of shame". :)

Let us make mistakes!

• Like 2

Am I missing something?  So it's a part of PVP to be able to kill your own horse while you are riding it?  I'm not talking about being unable to kill OTHER people's horses.

I'm a bit confused.

It would be difficult for the game to differentiate a horse being ridden by you from a horse being ridden by someone else that is why for a while mounts were not able to be attacked by anyone.  Then hellhorses came along which could do enough damage to make a difference in a fight so it was changed to make mounts attackable.

So basically the code either allows mounts to be attacked by anyone or no one and in PVP being able to attack a mount is very desirable especially for a defender.

Again the best way to avoid it is hit [esc] click on [target window] this will show you a picture of what you are attacking and how much health it has left.  It is very useful especially to let you know when to run away because the target has more health than you do.

Edited by Bachus

Also, if you somehow manage to target your own horse. Remove your weapon. That way you have time to get off of it and back away.

Let us make mistakes!

Love that approach. Mistakes are fun and have potential to teach us a lot of good :-)

• Like 1

Guys this isn't an advice thread, I know how not to kill my horse.  It was several years ago when that happened to me.

But before it happened to me, I wasn't even considering the possibility that you could do it.  I mean, it makes no logical sense that you would ever want to do that.  Why would the game even let you do something like that?

I think this can really suck for newer players though. 

+1, would rather kill my enemies and not their horse so i can bring it back to deed >.>

lol just kidding, pretty dumb -1

Prox, calm down bud. If the suggestion didn't impact pvp then it would be a good one. But it does so it isn't. Maybe the devs can take 6 years to try to figure out how to differentiate between what is your mount and what is another players mount. But that is highly unlikely. ;)

You already can't attack hitched animals when riding the cart/wagon so I guess we're not far from this

A toggle would be nice because I like the freedom to kill a horse im riding, sometimes i'll ride a crappy hh from my breeding pens to my house where i butcher to save time because I'm lazy, so its nice to not have to disembark too.  I've even mounted crappy horses myself to test polearm damages

• Like 1

Aye there are plenty of situations where one may want to kill their own horse without going through the trouble of disembarking.

On the otherhand, it would be really nice NOT to accidentally target my own horse and their big head blocking my screen. Even when I use target keybinds on my mouse.

Makes me empathize a little for those who had to RL fight from horseback back in the day.