Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

If Traders come to Xanadu...

I'll be moving on.

However, in the interest of protecting the wide open spaces of Xanadu, then if they do come, at least let people place as many as they want on a single deed with no distance restrictions from other traders.  DON'T ruin the open land my causing people to scatter traders every 50 tiles with micro deeds.

• Like 5

you will be missed tg... and i thought xanadu was opened up with the thought it would not house any traders ,, <just at starter towns> because thats what the people/players wanted when it was first opened/talked about .... is rolf considering adding traders/making a poll all because of 1 person/player ?

I think its a good idea personally... I understand the micro deed thought, maybe theres a way to avoid this.

When the team stated that there will be no trader on Xanadu, i always thought about this being extended to other server and not the opposite.

We don't need trader here and trader system has to be changed.

• Like 3

Traders don't impact my play at all. I could care less. I don't see what all the hullabaloo is about.

• Like 2

they are ugly and seem to normally be a waste of coastal deed area. im not 100% of the functionality but i understand why some people would want them but most of us who dont have them in our lives can probably live without them i second wurmholes idea on removing the distance restriction, to not clutter good land and views with bs 1x1 huts with traders.

However, in the interest of protecting the wide open spaces of Xanadu, then if they do come, at least let people place as many as they want on a single deed with no distance restrictions from other traders.  DON'T ruin the open land my causing people to scatter traders every 50 tiles with micro deeds.

-1  This is the very last thing you want to do with how I believe they work now. It really would create a trader issue on Xan whereas it is probably fairly safe to introduce them with the current mechanics--if anything the space distance between traders needs to be increased a bit.  I'm not concerned about micro deeds happening all over the place, but I do agree with you that traders are a bad idea.  I just really don't see the point of them.

The ones on the old servers aren't going anywhere of course but don't make the mistake of thinking that just because they are still there on the old servers that they would be built on Xan, things have changed.

I agree that the spacing limitations should be gotten rid of.

I am also okay with traders being available to Xanadu. I thought it was retarded that only one server was blocked, while the rest were free to do as they wish. Should've removed them all, or none at all.

• Like 4

Personally I don't care if traders are on Xanadu. But with a trader on my deed 40% of all purchases can go to my deed upkeep.  Right now I get nothing,  With a trader I could sell directly to the trader and receive decent money. 

With the foraging and fighting receiving coins the player does not receive enough to buy anything. 5 copper and 20 copper wont buy you hardly anything.  If they want to keep it that way increase the coin rate to atleast 1s.  That would help the new players more than 5c.

I could also see no traders on Xanadu hurting club code.  With deed stakes there is no reason to by deed forms now. Im sure that has hurt their income. Also as far spaced as traders at starter deeds are now.  Pretty sure they are not getting the business as other servers.

With deed stakes there is no reason to by deed forms now. Im sure that has hurt their income. Also as far spaced as traders at starter deeds are now.  

Lil' clarification, deed stakes are in no way cheaper, tile cost and monthly costs are the same.

Difference is that with a deed stake you don't need the full 10s for the first time you plant, can start smaller and expand as you get the money so it's probably helped business to some point.

Since I'm on the topic, minimum upkeep a month is 1s.  1s = 500 tiles.  So if you have a templar, yeah you can go under 500 tiles.  If you DON'T get a templar, get those 500 minimum or you're throwing money down the drain.

• Like 1

The way I see it Xan is part of the Freedom Servers, the other servers are allowed traders so should Xan.

• Like 2

Allowing the people who want several to just pile the whole lot on a single deed that said.... very good idea.

A whole bunch of trader deeds finally disbanded on Release and let me tell you, it's made the server way more playable and deedable as a whole.

That distance limitation had a point when you needed to sub to plant a deed now... hmmmm meh.

Traders... never thought they were a good idea as far as the parts were Players could "farm" them.... but Rolf allows it so it's not my decision. (I don't want them on Xanadu but my vote doesn't count)

What I do not like as a Player and and Deed owner is how on other servers a deed is needed for each single Trader... and usually the land used for each single deed is prime land, easy to get to and access, right on main highways or on the coast... and for what? So the owner of the the Trader can do their "Route" quicker? At the expense of prime real estate for new players to plant deeds lost? Screw that. Bad idea imo.

If Traders are allowed on Xanadu, please allow multiple Traders on each deed so good land that would tempt a new Player to plant a deed is somewhat preserved. At least 4 Traders per deed please. Yes Players who buy Traders make Rolf a bunch of money, but what this game needs is many more BUYERS and New Players are the source of that limited resource, not established Players buying Traders who are usually already experienced crafters and Sellers.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

Traders were broken to begin with. If they are allowed on xanadu people will immediatly start complaining about how low the payouts are. There has to be a better way then just using traders, make it more interactive then just letting traders sit there and generate silver it is such a bad system. Make it part of my idea about having player made dungeons and let the trader gain more silver if people are actively killing critters in the dungeon then you want to create a good dungeon that will attract people to grind there and in turn generate more money from the trader. Each player will then only have one trader that they are working on improving instead of ten traders per player.

It will be a sad day for almost everyone if Traders are allowed to be placed upon Xanadu. Right now everyone who plays on the server has the ability to get a portion of the rare coin drops and Token sales, as well as some sales to Traders at the starter Villages. Trader placement will just once again give the advantage to the Trader drainers that inhabit all the other servers. Multiple placement of Traders on one deed only further advantages their situation and reduces distribution to all others in that area. Bizarre idea that which only feeds the greed.

I find it hard to figure out why now they are being considered to be allowed to be placed on Xanadu when for all this time the server has been functioning very well without them. I guess their initial purchase of 35 silver (reduced from 50s by immediate draining) the deed placement and minimal 1s upkeep has something to do with it bringing in a bit of coin. Was nice not to have to see all these Trader draining deeds around like on other severs, sort of pathetic to cater to them on Xanadu once again if this comes to pass.

What can ya' do...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

It will be a sad day for almost everyone if Traders are allowed to be placed upon Xanadu. Right now everyone who plays on the server has the ability to get a portion of the rare coin drops and Token sales, as well as some sales to Traders at the starter Villages. Trader placement will just once again give the advantage to the Trader drainers that inhabit all the other servers. Multiple placement of Traders on one deed only further advantages their situation and reduces distribution to all others in that area. Bizarre idea that which only feeds the greed.

I find it hard to figure out why now they are being considered to be allowed to be placed on Xanadu when for all this time the server has been functioning very well without them. I guess their initial purchase of 35 silver (reduced from 50s by immediate draining) the deed placement and minimal 1s upkeep has something to do with it bringing in a bit of coin. Was nice not to have to see all these Trader draining deeds around like on other severs, sort of pathetic to cater to them on Xanadu once again if this comes to pass.

What can ya' do...

=Ayes=

Money Talks.

If I had to hazard a guess, a silly wild guess, I would guess that once Kegan planted that Trader on Xanadu Rolf probably got dozens of Emails from Players telling him how much money they were ready to spend on Traders if Rolf decided to allow Traders on Xanadu.

Edited by geode

If added to Xan (I couldn't care less, but kinda sympathize with those opposed, specially foragers/botanizers... y'all could spark a dye industry in time), at very least I'd propose;

Split the coin pools, separate ones for foragers and traders.

Give traders, depending on how many truly spring up (who knows, could wind up being just a dozen, could be a thousand), ***random figure*** 25% of the total redistributed gold pool, effectively keeping them at an artificially capped 2s minimum (for at least 18 months so the 35 silver are recovered, could then be abandoned).

Come reset time, if the rest of Xanadu hasn't foraged up the other full 75%, trader owners get lucky on that leftover.

(In my defense and for the record i have no plans of buying or planting traders on Xanadu or elsewhere for that matter.  One i got on Release came with the deed and I actually live on that spot, that's no min size...

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/119149-19x34-trader-deed-sold/  and i expanded it, where i get my critter screenshots).

Traders as intended, yes we need more. Having them clustered at starter towns are a drag on commuters.

However...

Traders as in current application on other servers, no we don't need gold farmers.

... ... ...

If Rolf wants to allow traders AS HE VISIONED, he can place them around, outside of private deeds, in accessible places. Or just start selling stock in codeclubab and issue dividend options on a monthly schedule.

playing everquest again.  got me thinking of traders on wurm.

we have merchants that sell.  i'd like to see merchants that buy. allow us to put items on merchants in info with coins on it to buy the items we want, basing on QL ect.

everquest has bazaar and barter commands and setting .   it's like having traders in wurm. but not made to make profit, just buy items.

eq. i'd set one up new newbie areas, to buy nails at 1i up to 2000 .  this would let new plays sell to it for 2s.  I guess a bit harder with 100 item limits.

just really don't want to see traders on xanadu. at least not the way they were on the other servers. although I didn't mind making close to a gold per month.  I just hated all the wasted land to have 20+ of them.

I thought I read someone say allow them to be on same deed and no distant restriction so folks can buy the 20 they want on the same deed lol. 

if they pass it on. I hope within a yr they will release a new large ass server again without traders.  it's been nice living with out them past yr now.

I thought Xanadu was the beginning of an end to traders... I guess not... 

• Like 1

Money Talks.

If I had to hazard a guess, a silly wild guess, I would guess that once Kegan planted that Trader on Xanadu Rolf probably got dozens of Emails from Players telling him how much money they were ready to spend on Traders if Rolf decided to allow Traders on Xanadu.

You may have some accuracy to you speculation here. This brings to mind the "new e-mail address, feedback@wurmonline.com, for general bits of feedback". With this option many "suggestions" can be made surreptitiously. Not so sure it was a good idea to create this option to gather your "crew" together to submit "feedback" unopposed in this manner.

The plot thickens!

=Ayes=

• Like 4

I don't understand the reason for traders. They are simply a rich welfare system for the few who can afford them. These are the only people who want them back. And of course they have many prem alts so have many votes in any 'poll'. So I'm sure they will get their way.

I would consider myself as having little reason to be for or against trader, as they really do not have much of an impact on my day to day routine.

However, if I were to take a side I would vote against traders on Xan for a couple reasons.  I feel like not having traders has in some ways been a boon to us on Xan as it encourages greater player interaction (something that we need more of on a server as big as Xan, where deeds are so widespread).  Coming from Inde, I can also say that I've rarely been able to use traders for one reason or another (either there were no coins available for transactions or I as a low skill player back then had little to offer of value and some could argue that the people the traders benefit the most are those with the deepest pockets and not the community at large). I haven't noticed there being any significant differences between the market on Xan vs Inde (supply & demand is still everything), therefore I say if it is not broken then why try to "fix" it. 

I would consider myself as having little reason to be for or against trader, as they really do not have much of an impact on my day to day routine.

However, if I were to take a side I would vote against traders on Xan for a couple reasons.  I feel like not having traders has in some ways been a boon to us on Xan as it encourages greater player interaction (something that we need more of on a server as big as Xan, where deeds are so widespread).  Coming from Inde, I can also say that I've rarely been able to use traders for one reason or another (either there were no coins available for transactions or I as a low skill player back then had little to offer of value and some could argue that the people the traders benefit the most are those with the deepest pockets and not the community at large). I haven't noticed there being any significant differences between the market on Xan vs Inde (supply & demand is still everything), therefore I say if it is not broken then why try to "fix" it. 

Your upkeep goes directly into the trader 'pot'. Then the players who have traders milk those traders for the money YOU put in there and they use your money to pay for their deeds, equipment, etc. In other words, you are paying them to have a deed. They get rich off your sweat. The ones who want them on Xan are the same ones who now have them on other servers. And of course they have many premium alts because of the money they milk from their traders so they have an advantage when it comes to voting on ingame 'polls'.  Traders should be eliminated entirely. 

• Like 5

it is a bit of a pyramid scheme.  Traders give you more silver, the more that people spend on deeds and purchasing things on traders.  So, the first to plant traders on new servers get the silver from all the others that buy traders after and so on.  The last folks to buy traders are the ones that come in after the pyramid is too crowded.  Then the outcry of "these traders hardly pay anymore and e should be refunded".

If these kind of schemes are illegal in RL, why do we allow them in wurm, when real funds are linked?  This is one of the reasons why I am out if this gets deployed to Xanadu.  A game feature should never be added if it only is a real benefit to the ones that get in first.  Otherwise, you are telling your future customers that you think they are just chumps.

I say ban all player deployed traders forever.

• Like 2