Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Not Only should traders NOT be enabled on Xanadu, they should be replaced

So the ingame poll about allowing traders on Xanadu.

THIS IS THE WRONG DIRECTION.

Traders are a broken, half baked, concept that should be removed from the game AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Trade needs to be PLAYER DRIVEN      NOT     PLAYER DEPENDENT.

While the idea of being able to place a trader anywhere you want is cool and is unique, it simply has too many problems associated with it to make it viable for everyone. The more people involved in trade the better trade is for everyone.

Traders need either completely revamped or completely removed and replaced.

Any trade system needs to have at least the following fundamental structural requirements

1. Available and open to all players ( NO PAY TO PLAY )

2. A way to view items available for purchase REMOTELY

3. Static, permanent, non player dependent areas where trade can be conducted

4. A simple way to sell bulk goods and setup buy orders and a way to fill those buy orders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT IS NOT HARD TO CODE THIS

IT IS NOT ANYMORE COMPLEX THAN A WELL WRITTEN EXCEL SPREADSHEET

IT IS NOT A BIG CODING EXERCISE THAT WILL TAKE MONTHS TO IMPLEMENT

Its a simple UI with a bunch of data calls wrapped in AJAX. There is no need for it to be any more complex than this.

They built bridges which took how long????

So why cant we get a real trade system????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are working, successful, and profitable examples all over the gaming industry of trade systems in MMO's and they all work better than what we have now.

Abandon Traders and put in a REAL TRADE SYSTEM that is PLAYER DRIVEN.

• Like 8

What in-game poll about traders?

If you are talking about the one i mentioned then that was not a for sure thing it was a we might ask in an in-game poll kind of thing and nothing 100% that it was going to happen.  (I doubt we will ever see anymore about it) 

Edited by Kegan

There is currently a poll on Xanadu about traders being made available there.

Can the other servers also have polls on whether they want traders on their servers?

• Like 4

There is currently a poll on Xanadu about traders being made available there.

oh cool i guess he was not fibbing then must be just for premium players i logged on my ftp and there was no poll. 

Edit: can someone get a screenshot of the poll and post it up? 

Edited by Kegan

What in-game poll about traders?

If you are talking about the one i mentioned then that was not a for sure thing it was a we might ask in an in-game poll kind of thing and nothing 100% that it was going to happen.  (I doubt we will ever see anymore about it) 

Oh no, I know its a not a for sure thing, as well a poll should never ever ever be used, but that is a totally different topic. I just think we should not be enabling traders at all, we should be removing them for a better system altogether. By opening them up on xanadu, by default, it adds support to a completely broken mechanic that is in dire and desperate need of replacement / overhaul.

Edited by sunsvortex

oh cool i guess he was not fibbing

And why would I be, what exactly would be the point?

-1 this sounds like some version of WOW Auction house or Runescape Grand Exchange.

Traders are open to everyone, in fact they place traders in starter towns already, I dont know how it can be more newb friendly then that.

You shouldnt be able to see what traders have on them unless your AT the trader. there would be no point to traveling then!

This is a sandbox, player driven game. If you want game devs to dictate where, and how trade takes place. Go play WOW

There is a simple way to sell bulk goods, its called forums, merchants+keys, in game chat, we have many options.

Regardless of whether traders are implemented or not, DONT implement a centralized trading platform, it will kill things like markets, forum trade activity, and hurt the sandbox, player driven goal of the game!

Yes. perfect. make it easy for people to buy traders for their village, then let me(and anyone) put in a buy order for something and/or a sell order for something. the trader holds and fills the orders. and he also pays players (in silver) to ship "goods" from town to town or trader to trader.

And why would I be, what exactly would be the point?

No i meant Rolf i had emailed him asking if we could be allowed to have traders on Xanadu after the one i had set form a bug was removed. He said he might ask in a poll and see what people thought but i had thought it was just a put off.  

The poll said nothing about 'changing' them. It was just 'should we activate them?' 'Yay' 'Nay' 'Yay with restrictions'.

If they activate them, I'm literally done with this game. I will be selling off my assets and finding another game.

Free money faucets should never be in any game. It's like adding a 'dupe' feature to a game, 'Oh, you want to have more coin...here, make multiples of them and sell them to vendors/merchants...'

It's just a way for people to 'cheat' a system. It doesn't matter if there was a 'buy in' or not. Elitist jackwads end up ruining the 'economy' and tightfist it all, and 'trade' such as it were slows to a standstill. I'd thought it was possibly heading away from this crap, but it seems it's just more of the same.

I agree, they need to get rid of traders as they exist now. Not be just re-activating them so people can siphon coin out...

The poll said nothing about 'changing' them. It was just 'should we activate them?' 'Yay' 'Nay' 'Yay with restrictions'.

This is the exact reason for the post.

At the very least Rolf could explain why he seems so married to traders. Or at least explain why he likes the current system over a new one.

If were going to use ingame polls, then why not have one on whether a new and improved / overhaul / something other than what we have, should go in.

@Kegan - ok thanks for the clarification and the explanation of where the poll came from.

Edited by sunsvortex

If the traders provide no compensation they should be way cheaper.

• Like 1

If player owned Traders show up on Xanadu, I will be selling off all accounts and quitting wurm.

• Like 4

This suggestion would put many people out of business: local craftsmen selling to their neighbourhoods, transportation services.

But I agree that the trader system should be revamped from the ground up mechanics-wise.

If they activate them, I'm literally done with this game. I will be selling off my assets and finding another game.

Free money faucets should never be in any game...

May as well throw in the towel because even if traders are completely removed, people are still getting free money from killing critters, foraging, selling junk to tokens, etc. 

• Like 2

Idk why people still think traders are the devil and are cancer to the game.  I can only seem to ever get money from Elevation which has only recently been reset and has very few traders, a lot of funds from forms/pmks, and also land control dependant.  My trader on desertion got 15 copper last month, let that sink in and tell me it is a horrible feature.  The only horrible thing about traders is in my eyes spending 50s to get 15 copper per month.  Of course, over the last year it had a high of 1.25 silver, I can't let that huge amount of cash go unnoticed

• Like 2

Idk why people still think traders are the devil and are cancer to the game.  I can only seem to ever get money from Elevation which has only recently been reset and has very few traders, a lot of funds from forms/pmks, and also land control dependant.  My trader on desertion got 15 copper last month, let that sink in and tell me it is a horrible feature.  The only horrible thing about traders is in my eyes spending 50s to get 15 copper per month.  Of course, over the last year it had a high of 1.25 silver, I can't let that huge amount of cash go unnoticed

They are not the devil, they are a broken half baked concept. Much like riding in a car that has octagon tires, Yes its unique, and its kind of rebellious, some might even say fun.

But  the bottom line is, it doesnt really work and it can only go so far before it starts destroying the rest of the car.

Traders, and merchants for that matter, are garbage,not the devil. They just need to be thrown away.

But lets face it. None of this matters. It doesnt matter that there have been at least a half dozen or more suggestion posts within the last 6 months wanting change to trade in one form or another. It doesnt matter that a really huge ROI could be realized from a better trade system. It doesnt matter that a good trade system can go a very long way to address issues with player retention or that it could be used to give other viable options to item lifecycle, no logical or beneficial argument seems to matter.

The most likely scenario is that either nothing will happen or there will be minor changes made that only a few want or no one wants.

Free money faucets should never be in any game. It's like adding a 'dupe' feature to a game, 'Oh, you want to have more coin...here, make multiples of them and sell them to vendors/merchants...'

It's just a way for people to 'cheat' a system. It doesn't matter if there was a 'buy in' or not. Elitist jackwads end up ruining the 'economy' and tightfist it all, and 'trade' such as it were slows to a standstill. I'd thought it was possibly heading away from this crap, but it seems it's just more of the same.

I agree, they need to get rid of traders as they exist now. Not be just re-activating them so people can siphon coin out...

If player owned Traders show up on Xanadu, I will be selling off all accounts and quitting wurm.

Don't abandon ship just because of this possibility of Trader placement upon Xanadu. Even if it is put into effect there is still much more to enjoy within the game than to focus upon the detrimental effects this will have there. Only a few more voices of reason will be lost and those who take advantage of it will be glad to read less of your opposition.

Although I would like to see them completely removed and replaced with some better trade system as the OP suggests, I see this as being very unlikely to happen since it will take some detailed forethought and coding to implement. With Traders placement being unavailable upon Xanadu since its creation, this new in-game Poll about it being a possibility to be considered should indicate that the easy road of going back to a detrimental situation is the more likely scenario.

With no reasoning being provided by the god of Wurm and his minions only the usual speculation will rule the day and cause further distress of the imagined impending doom, be it real or otherwise.

=Ayes=

Make them send 25% of the trader-only items to deed upkeep funds instead of keeping them on the trader, remove their function as a coin redistribution mechanism and "problem" solved. (Kudos to othob who suggested this or something similar months ago)

While I'd love to see a market index being implemented I don't like the ability of automated remote purchases.

Edited by Anothernoob

Those of is who have been around awhile remember all the huge deeds with nothing on them but a shack...and those of us who have stuck out the lag and back up lag since the beginning of xanadu know the only reason we have so much untouched land is because we don't have traders. If you need something that bad you can take a trip to your your local starter town. -1

Bleh, traders need complete removal.

Would support player minted currency though based on actions and timer from unique IPs with appriopriate caps for village size, blah blah blah somehow balanced.

In every thread so far about the traders poll, all kinds of people all want either big change or the complete removal of traders.

Here & Here

Not to mention all the suggestions over the last 6 months asking for some form of change to the trade system.

What exactly does it take to get at the very least an open conversation, maybe one of those in game polls on whether or not we would like a new trade system, commentary from the devs / Rolf on Trade??

Something?

Anything?