Sign in to follow this  
Harvest

Animal concerns on Xanadu

I am not sure where to post this but I will try here and it can be moved if needed.

I go out hunting every few days, not too often because I have to give the game time to respawn.  I use the locate creature spell and still find it quite difficult to find things in my local area.  However, the past few weeks I have noticed there is a very large mountain that has about 50 animals on it but it's way too steep for anyone to even consider climbing.  I know there is a deed at top but going up his tunnel won't give access to the animals either.  For some reason the animals are staying on the mountain and not coming down.

Is there a way to define the slope an unattended animal can climb to prevent them from hanging out on mountain sides that are too steep for us?  I am aware that the deed on top needs things to wander on deed but since things are supposed to avoid deeds now anyway, then this shouldn't be a huge issue.

The mountain is at P10 on Xanadu.

Thoughts?  Concerns?

lucky your mountains have things to kill, mine has about 1 mountain lion a week its sad i-8

This topic would be better off in the Community Assistance forum, the Wurmpedia forum is specifically for topics concerning Wurmpedia content, ideas, and suggestions. If there is an article that you've found with inaccurate information, or you would like to provide information, that would be fine here.

Related : http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/121192-please-fix-the-creature-spawn-on-xanadu/

This is actually part of a greater bug/issue.

A lot of the animals are just 'hanging out' on mountainsides now where people can't reach them. I would think the only way to 'get' to them is by creating a tunnel that would pop out the side of the mountain and then they'd wander into the tunnel at random times...(We should not need to do this because of poor game coding.)

Also I live in S8 and have mountains around me. No animals on top of the mountains here. So it more than them climbing the mountains.

I think I can recall some mention that the critter limits are set for the whole server. Meaning that once X number of critters have spawned, it stops spawning them. So if you do more hunting in one part of the server, you will eventually see less creatures there as they've respawned in other areas until the limit was reached again.

On the smaller servers, this isn't as big of an issue because there's less land to travel. An active hunter or party could cover a good quarter of a server the size of Exodus, and thus would see better spawns simply because that would only leave 3/4 of the server left for them to respawn in. With how large Xanadu is, that fraction becomes quite small. So if you have active hunters in the southern parts of Xanadu, but not so much in the north, you'll wind up with the imbalance that is being seen.

I'm rather curious if that's what is happening or not.

Ah I thought the OP was referring to animals being stuck up on very steep mountainsides where players could not really access them, so the animals were just being "wasted".

Is there a way to define the slope an unattended animal can climb to prevent them from hanging out on mountain sides that are too steep for us?  

You are talking more about "lots of animals in the northwest regions, not many animals in the southeast regions" which I guess is a different issue. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Well both could be seen as problematic. Unfortunately, everyone has a different opinion of what should be fixed or updated.

Creatures could be a lot better if they had a more robust system for spawning and movement. A quick check in "local" to see how many of XXX creature have already spawned, if too_many, then pull another spawn location. The check in local *could* be a resource hit, depending on how the databases are indexed. I don't know anything about the code, so my loose pseudo code will have to do. Couple that with either tile restrictions for some creatures, as I think we already have "preferred" tiles, yes? Then a few checks in movement for slope. Some creatures should be better at climbing than others, just as swimming works now. Some creatures should see better in the dark (caves) than others. In this sense, we would see more rats/bugs in caves, more scorpions on the desert, crocs near water, bears in the woods. So on and so on.

• Like 1

Bump

Look at that, devs REALLY dont care.

Your opinion, and yet another negative torpedo post.  It is also non-constructive and not useful to the OP at all.

My experience with the developers I have dealt with, is that they DO actually care. Priorities, processes and decisions in creative/management dictate what gets done, not you.

Awe, do you have a problem with my opinion? Well I am sorry to hear that.

I could care less what defines the decision making process when I, a paying customer, am left with the end of the stick.

I was not trying to add anything to the OP, but to resurect an issue that many of you light blinded fools have all but accepted as perfectly okay.

I should just accept the fact that the server I spent time and money to settle on is bugged and not speak up when devs fail to even mention anything about it since 2014.

While you might be okay with laying down and accepting whatever the devs do, I for one like to make my opinions known.