Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Unofficial Polls

I suspect the ingame poll thing is too hard to use, or too few GMs have the privileges necessary to create them.

Would be great if all GMs (or even better - all CMs) were able to create those, and every week we'd see several polls about popular suggestions.

• Like 1

To be honest, I was wondering about where exactly that "overwhelming impopularity" was, that's mentioned in the patch notes. I hadn't seen it, nothing that would make the owner of the game change his mind anyway, as to re-introduce a bug. So I'm curious about that, too.

• Like 2

I'm assuming the "overwhelming impopularity" reached Rolf via the same channels that the person who told him we "needed" weapons to lose enchantment did. It's not the first time and probably not the last either that we'll see that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Ingame polls would be nice and would REALLY give the Rolf a more real connection to his market.  But if someone's gonna "login several votes", well... tl;dr prem only.

While I dislike "buying votes", at least it's funding.

I don't see any indication that the poll linked had any bearing in the code revert. (No dev's or Rolf stating such.)

Regarding enchant decay. I was away when this happened. So I'll comment here as I saw you were a big supporter of enchant decay.

Should there be decay rates on weapons and armor? Probably...

Would I rage quit if they made the global change? Most definitely.

I paid real life money for many highly enchanted weapons based on their current game mechanics. An understanding that as far as I know, weapons & armor have never had enchantment decay.

You yourself profited on many of those purchases thanks to your amount of dedication toward the required skills. Thank you again for your service.

Would you refund my money if they then changed the mechanics of weapons so they now take enchantment decay?

That Two-Handed Longsword with all 95+ enchants wouldn't exactly be worth the 30s I paid anymore would it.

A fix that I believe would be more accepted, would be to "grandfather" the current enchanted weapons & armor in and only have enchant decay affect newly enchanted weapons and armor.

Would that be acceptable?

I don't see any indication that the poll linked had any bearing in the code revert. (No dev's or Rolf stating such.)

I don't believe the poll was the sole reason for it being put back the way it's always been. 

For one thing, judging by the posts I've seen, it really was unpopular and for good reasons.  I really doubt they just looked at that poll and said to themselves "Oh, ok we'll change it back" without weighing the reasons people were giving pro & con. 

How many things have people wanted, with and without "unofficial" polls, that never got changed?  It sure looks like someone on the team using their own heads and making their own decisions to me, regardless of how much we rant or plead.  So how do you figure that on this one thing, they looked at a poll and rushed to accommodate us?  lol.

I also don't believe that continuing to open multiple rants on the subject is a more valid method of getting your way than a poll, even if it had been solely due to the poll.

Maybe they really should do an in-game poll on it for premium characters.  Would the results then be satisfactory regardless of which way it went, or only if it went one way?

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

This is what everyone should be upset about. Not the change itself, but how the change was brought about.

"Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in charge! Developed around the idea of player influence, it remains one of the only Sandbox MMOs worthy of the term."

From the homepage, this is how Wurm is described.  If we are in charge, then where was this player "overwhelming impopularity" ?  If the game is developed around the idea of player influence, why is it that a poll that only had 2.9% of the population participate, make such a change come about?  97.1% of the total population weren't even included. That is the overwhelming group in this travesty.

• Like 2

Out of interest, what are you basing the '2.9% of the population' number on?  If it's number of premium accounts, and you're wanting to get rid of one-person-multiple-voting-accounts (as per your other thread), then I see a problem: many players have multiple premium accounts.  I myself have 3, and I know of folks with 7 or more.  It's really not uncommon to have 2 or 3 premium accounts plus a few free ones.  The problem with this sort of statistic is that we simply don't know what the real number of actual human players is. 

Ultimately, voting anywhere faces the same problem, whether it's in Wurm or in real-world elections.  Even when the outcome affects peoples' lives, and the vote is massively publicised and accessible, there are still a significant number who just don't participate.  All you can do is put the question out there and take the answer you get as a somewhat-representative opinion.  From memory, the response was mostly negative; there's no reason to believe polling the general population in-game would have been much different, and there would be a lot more people casting multiple votes: it's a lot easier to have (say) 5 premium accounts than 5 forum accounts.

Out of interest, what are you basing the '2.9% of the population' number on?  If it's number of premium accounts, and you're wanting to get rid of one-person-multiple-voting-accounts (as per your other thread), then I see a problem: many players have multiple premium accounts.  I myself have 3, and I know of folks with 7 or more.  It's really not uncommon to have 2 or 3 premium accounts plus a few free ones.  The problem with this sort of statistic is that we simply don't know what the real number of actual human players is. 

Ultimately, voting anywhere faces the same problem, whether it's in Wurm or in real-world elections.  Even when the outcome affects peoples' lives, and the vote is massively publicised and accessible, there are still a significant number who just don't participate.  All you can do is put the question out there and take the answer you get as a somewhat-representative opinion.  From memory, the response was mostly negative; there's no reason to believe polling the general population in-game would have been much different, and there would be a lot more people casting multiple votes: it's a lot easier to have (say) 5 premium accounts than 5 forum accounts.

Let's face it.. all the polls etc are just cosmetics, the one gets their agenda pushed through, who makes most noise on the forums.

What the hell is even going on.

Polls coming left and right, you people really think that a single poll is going to change stuff?

Let's face it.. all the polls etc are just cosmetics, the one gets their agenda pushed through, who makes most noise on the forums.

Well if that is the case then gumbo is surely going to get what he wants.

This only applies if you're an active PvP'er.

We'd still be using Mooring Ropes if noise or popularity was a factor.

Edited by Dairuka

Why are unofficial 41 hour long polls in the Suggestions section of these forums, where only 2.9% of the total Wurm population voted, being used as a definitive reason to make important game changes?

The Poll

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124692-poll-revert-the-weapon-enchant-decay/

I see no reason that your conclusion made above can be substantiated as being accurate. Although it would provide another reason to make a post protesting this return of weapon enchant fixed quality to its original state that it has had for years, there has been no statement made by the Developers that this action was taken as a result of the percentage numbers of any polls, much less the one linked above.

In my opinion, which has more validity than yours due to applying a reasoned and objective assessment of this situation, this action of returning weapon enchants to their fixed quality state was taken because the Developers read various responses made and it then the contents of the responses were discussed and the reasoning contained within them was viewed as the better approach to take.

There have been extremely few polls that the *Developers have made* where they indicated that they *might* take action based upon the results. This certainly was not one of them; therefore, anyone that would accept your statement made above as being accurate and responding as such is just being mislead into focusing on a point that has no substance behind it. This being the case, I won't go into further details that might provide any justification for having another one of my posts removed from your thread, since really it doesn't take much further thought to come to the conclusion as I have presented it.

=Ayes=

"Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in charge! Developed around the idea of player influence, it remains one of the only Sandbox MMOs worthy of the term."

From the homepage, this is how Wurm is described.  

That statement should really be removed.  I have read time and time again how this is "Rolf's" game and have never begrudged him that.  In the time I have played, I have never had the feeling this game is developed around community influence and certainly never got the feeling that this is a game "where the players are in charge".

NB: I personally wouldn't like to see what would happen to Wurm if players had the run of it and appreciate that it's very much "Rolf's" game.

• Like 1

In my opinion, which has more validity than yours ...

Pure and simple elitism. Is why so many ignore your posts. Once someone starts a sentence like this, they lose all credibility.

• Like 1

A fix that I believe would be more accepted, would be to "grandfather" the current enchanted weapons & armor in and only have enchant decay affect newly enchanted weapons and armor.

Would that be acceptable?

LOL, you think enchant decay is bad because it de-values your weapons but then you advocate something that will instead makes them a lot more valuable because they no longer can be crafted.

I guess this is one reason that listening to players isn't always a good thing because they are mostly driven by greed and their own profit.

*edit* I should say that I do actually agree that enchant decay on weapons is not a nice thing, it's hard enough as it is to keep weapons at good ql and those enchants are pretty hard/expensive to come by. *edit*

Edited by Torgrim
  • Like 1

LOL, you think enchant decay is bad because it de-values your weapons but then you advocate something that will instead makes them a lot more valuable because they no longer can be crafted.

I guess this is one reason that listening to players isn't always a good thing because they are mostly driven by greed and their own profit.

*edit* I should say that I do actually agree that enchant decay on weapons is not a nice thing, it's hard enough as it is to keep weapons at good ql and those enchants are pretty hard/expensive to come by. *edit*

"My weapons" aren't the only ones out there you know. There's how many years worth of weapons with enchants out there?...

Also, its generally best to offer an alternative rather than just replying with a big "LOL and shooting down others ideas".

"My weapons" aren't the only ones out there you know. There's how many years worth of weapons with enchants out there?...

Also, its generally best to offer an alternative rather than just replying with a big "LOL and shooting down others ideas".

No real need for ideas here, it's working pretty well as it is.

Make the usage of those weapons a bit more fun instead of  introducing new inconveniences. That is my proposal.