Sign in to follow this  
Delisira

Some love for Tailoring, Finally

We tailors are finally getting some love. New clothing of all sorts to dress our wurmians into! 

Now, I am seeing some new outfits. They are beautiful. But why not add courtly clothes, and dresses. Hey, a Kilt could also be nice for those with scottish roots among us!

And now, the main topic

Leatherworking has an ultimate material: Drake Hide

Platesmithing has an Ultimate Material: Dragon Scales

What does the cloth tailor have? Absolutely nothing... nothing that can be useful to a priest, even. 

So, here comes my idea... A new monster, a unique, called the spider queen. It runs deadly toxins, and would be rather hard to kill, what does it drop? ... Bunches of spider's silk! 

That silk can be cured (with Lye) to become Cured Spider Silk, then it would be woven into string carefully (Spindle or Spinning wheel? Spindle would work better I think), then you can weave it into silk cloth. What can you do with that silk cloth? 

Armour that weighs nearly nothing, that hardly slows you down (just as cloth armor) but protects as good as a studded leather. Priests would love this, wouldn't they? Of course, something so ...regal and rare as silk, the piece of armor would have to have that look. A look of master craftsmanship to it! Be hard to make, hard to imp... but in average, rather worth it for archers or priests! Allowing them to keep the full bonus while having a seeming of protection!

Edit: 

After reading the comments and suggestions, I agree that my idea would work if drawn from spider, and here's a way to still make it hard enough that not everyone would be able to walk in spider silk, but be something for those wealthier or part of larger communities. 

Each spiders have a chance to drop silk. The drop would come in the form of a silk gland, each age categories would give a gland that is 0.5 in weight, and when treated with Lye, each glands of 0.5 gives 0.1 of Silk. Then, you need to spindle that silk into silk thread, and 1 thread being 0.2kg of silk, means you need at least 2 silk glands to make a silk thread That silk thread is what is used into the imping process. 

However, Silk Thread can be woven into Silk Cloth in a Loom, which allows the creation of sets of Silk Armor. 

As a silk armor would require the killing and successful butchering of dozens of spiders, it still makes it much more rare to work with then cotton, harder to work with then wool (as not everybody can kill spiders) and require a lot of spider kills to make one set. 

Spiders cannot be bred, so that does help keep the difficulty level of that Supreme Material for tailoring high enough that to not make Cotton become outright outdated. Any feedbacks over that new idea? 

Edited by Delisira
  • Like 31

I like this idea and you've thought it out some which is always nice to see.

I like everything but the name of the unique; something more mythical would be nice, but overall I like this suggestion.

+1

Good idea as long as silk doesnt drop from every spider. As OP said it would require a new unique.

I really love this idea, big +1 from me!

A very nice idea. One thing though, these silk Spider Queens should not be on the difficulty level of Uniques/Dragons to kill. Also, I would make them "rare" as only being one roaming around per server until they are killed and then another one would immediately re-spawn on a different part of the server somewhere.

Not much point on making this whole new special improved silk cloth armor as difficult to obtain as Unique/Dragon drops. It should be a lot more available than that and as I described it, it would still not be commonplace as regular mobs that roam around everywhere. Then your added skill requirements would make it something the more highly skilled tailors could produce from the dropped item.

=Ayes=

Silk shouldnt be just on unquies should be in available in all spiders.  IRL it takes a alot of silk just to make a dress.  Now if you want unique to have special silk besides the regular I can see that.  But dont limit it to uniques.

Silk shouldnt be just on unquies should be in available in all spiders.  IRL it takes a alot of silk just to make a dress.  Now if you want unique to have special silk besides the regular I can see that.  But dont limit it to uniques.

There could be two kinds of silk, Silk... and Spider Silk. But that would add a lot of work to it. One of them is a farmed product, and doesn't add much benifit over cotton tailoring. My idea is mostly for a new rare material. Normal spiders would just not drop enough to be able to do anything with, only that giant bastard drops it! However, it might be impossible to fight her without a couple priests of Fo. Because one bite leaves a deadly toxin, even a wound of 1 would bleed out health like a wound of 20, so a wound of 20 ... will require strong covers to allow to heal. I'm quite certain something like that would cause quite a bit of fatalities haha.

There could be two kinds of silk, Silk... and Spider Silk. But that would add a lot of work to it. One of them is a farmed product, and doesn't add much benifit over cotton tailoring. My idea is mostly for a new rare material. Normal spiders would just not drop enough to be able to do anything with, only that giant bastard drops it! However, it might be impossible to fight her without a couple priests of Fo. Because one bite leaves a deadly toxin, even a wound of 1 would bleed out health like a wound of 20, so a wound of 20 ... will require strong covers to allow to heal. I'm quite certain something like that would cause quite a bit of fatalities haha.

Silk would be much lighter so faster speed while wearing it.  Also since it takes so much silk it would give newer players something to sale.  The Spider Silk Queen could drop enough to cover a couple of sheets of Super silk.

^^ Great idea otherwise. +1

If every spider dropped silk cotton, leather and studded armor would be useless. The OP suggested super silk to be as strong as studded leather armor. It would be good for priests to have a strong unique armor that wont disturb their casting.

Edited by Tsetse

I'm surprised nobody has suggested silkworm silk. Earthly silkworms prefer white mulberry leaves, but maybe some tree or bush on Wurm would make a suitable alternative. You would have to introduce the worms to the plant, then return to collect the empty cocoons; I suppose you would check the plant in the proper season of the Wurm year in order to collect moth eggs.

Because of the life cycle, this would be a two-part plant/harvest operation, limiting silk production (perhaps even with a new skill).

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody has suggested silkworm silk. Earthly silkworms prefer white mulberry leaves, but maybe some tree or bush on Wurm would make a suitable alternative. You would have to introduce the worms to the plant, then return to collect the empty cocoons; I suppose you would check the plant in the proper season of the Wurm year in order to collect moth eggs.

Because of the life cycle, this would be a two-part plant/harvest operation, limiting silk production (perhaps even with a new skill).