Sign in to follow this  
irobotnik8

Ouch, that hurt!

10% chance to hit your hand and cause a very light (.1 dmg or less) bruise when you fail to improve or attach something with a hammer active or in use. 

EDIT: maybe the chance could be (1/(2 * hammer skill)) so that at 1 hammer skill you have a 50% chance to hurt yourself on failure and at 100 hammer skill you have a .5% chance to hurt yourself on failure.

Edited by irobotnik8
  • Like 5

-1 would be annoying imping higher QL items with hammer and serves no real useful purpose

• Like 4

EDIT: maybe the chance could be (1/(2 * hammer skill)) so that at 1 hammer skill you have a 50% chance to hurt yourself on failure and at 100 hammer skill you have a .5% chance to hurt yourself on failure.

Because new players would really love it ^_^

(I am kidding, I like the idea but maybe not such a heavier burden on brand new players)

If it was super light (superficial and more for effect than an actual penalty)  AND not such a high chance, then maybe ok.

In the course of building their first house, they would have plenty of chances even at 5% chance. I cannot recall now if house planks can fail but they usually have 100-200 planks to nail up. 

50% chance is just too high.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

There are traditional blacksmiths near the area I live in and I've never seen them hurt themselves or get close to that while using the hammer on searing red iron or while the iron is glowing yellow and throwing particles

%0.5 (once at every 200) on ^-*100*-^ hammering skill sounds too high. A master smith at his peak of experience who hits his hand once in a 200 while using that hammer tens of thousands of times everyday should just retire because apparently his motor controls are messed up, it is time for him to rest and let his apprentice take over.

It is a nice suggestion if it happens on very low chances which decrease further with higher skill level but the chances you said are very high imo

Grinding WS is already horribly painful, this won't help. -1

• Like 1

There are traditional blacksmiths near the area I live in and I've never seen them hurt themselves or get close to that while using the hammer on searing red iron or while the iron is glowing yellow and throwing particles

%0.5 (once at every 200) on ^-*100*-^ hammering skill sounds too high. A master smith at his peak of experience who hits his hand once in a 200 while using that hammer tens of thousands of times everyday should just retire because apparently his motor controls are messed up, it is time for him to rest and let his apprentice take over.

It is a nice suggestion if it happens on very low chances which decrease further with higher skill level but the chances you said are very high imo

at 100 hammer skill, if you do 10k hammer actions you will only hurt yourself 50 times... if you fail every single hammer action 10k times in a row.

So assuming you fail 10k times in a row and never heal at all for some weird reason... 50x .1dmg wounds = 5dmg. 

I think those master blacksmiths would be just fine.

Edited by irobotnik8

Because new players would really love it ^_^

(I am kidding, I like the idea but maybe not such a heavier burden on brand new players)

If it was super light (superficial and more for effect than an actual penalty)  AND not such a high chance, then maybe ok.

In the course of building their first house, they would have plenty of chances even at 5% chance. I cannot recall now if house planks can fail but they usually have 100-200 planks to nail up. 

50% chance is just too high.

it's 50% chance on a failure so if you fail 50% of the time it's already only a 25% chance to hurt yourself... and yes it is super light -- .1dmg per hit is very light.

And stepping on a rake can give you a foot wound and slap you in the face then you might fall over and bruise your rump!

• Like 3

And falling with your weapon in hand kills you instantly xP Clumsy wurmians

-1  It is funny, but I don't see any real purpose it would server other than to make the skill grind more tedious.

I like it, new players will marvel at the detail when they bandage their thumb. Good way for them to get some first aid skill too until they figure out its not a big deal. An alternative would be a broken thumb when you fail a drum roll as an extra kick in the nuts.

Edited by Tsetse
  • Like 2

I love any suggestion that has the potential to bring all the naysayers out of the woodwork :D

Have to give this a -1.  Besides being annoying to keep healing small wounds, many of us use low ql skiller tools which would just chew us up when grinding.

+1 its cute.  Lets say it checks to see if you already have a hurt hand, and doesn't give you a second one.

You could die on the tutorial, if you spammed examine on the trolls statue :P  That is not a good thing for house building.

Cute suggestion though :)

• Like 1

I have hit my digits on occasion while learning to hammer nails. Now I don't because I have become smarter than the hammer. So if this were implemented then only at lower skill levels. 

• Like 1

Only if they create a special female (male for the females) NPC that will kiss the boo-boo and make it go away. Once you get your first boo-boo one would spawn beside you and follow you around until dismissed, then reappear again if another boo-boo appeared. Also, cows should accompany this by going moo-moo.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

This... doesn't really add anything.  I mean, if you add this, then next up is cutting yourself while sawing/carving/woodcutting, or dropping bricks on your feet if you're carrying too many, or tripping over your shoelaces if you have low ql footwear.

It'd only be good if you were Roleplaying, which I think is a minute minority in the community.  

This... doesn't really add anything.  I mean, if you add this, then next up is cutting yourself while sawing/carving/woodcutting, or dropping bricks on your feet if you're carrying too many, or tripping over your shoelaces if you have low ql footwear.

It'd only be good if you were Roleplaying, which I think is a minute minority in the community.  

+1 to those as well

• Like 1

In the same vein Marble planters, Fancy pants and all the various types of furniture doesn't really add anything. All the stuff that doesn't have any other function than look cool (in some way or other) doesn't really anything. If you look deeply enough you'll find that ultimately this whole game called "Wurm" doesn't really add anything. And yet people want it. Many of us get excited, every time the devs add a little bit more detail even though it's really only cosmetic.And why not?

-1 no one kills themselves while tempering a sword nor is anyone dumb enough to put their hand in the hammers way 10% of the time

• Like 1

The thing is, the aesthetic things allow greater creativity.  It means people that like to design pretty buildings etc can do so.  Me imping my pickaxe and getting a random 0.5 or something wound is literally just annoying.  And justification along the lines of "I've hit my finger plenty of times while hammering a nail" is just absurd.

By all means, this could be added to fulfil some RPers wet dreams if needed, but it should definitely be an option that is disabled by default.

• Like 1

-1, smashed fingers happen during hammering nails, and this can also easily be avoided by holding the nail with anything else than your fingers.

Protecting Fingers When Hammering Nails

Maybe this should happen at very very low carpentry, but then only as a decoration - event text (for new players).

Edited by Hula_Girl

-1 no one kills themselves while tempering a sword nor is anyone dumb enough to put their hand in the hammers way 10% of the time

You're quite optimistic here, aren't you?