Sign in to follow this  
RoseOfTheRaven

Lockpicking My Boat-Question

Hey I have a Knarr that I do not know what happened to the key for it. I went to try and lockpick it with an 83QL lock...but my chances were at 1% and lowered with each attempt. I wondered if there was a way for me to put it up on a "salvage claim" and somehow get the lock removed through that by a GM. I figured maybe this wouldn't be an issue as I do have proper ownership to the boat, and the player I got it from is the one who lost the key. I have a lock to replace that one with..but I can't get it off. It is currently on my deed, and moored. I wouldn't mind paying the salvage fee if that is what it will take to get the lock removed so that I may replace it with the one I made (which has a key). I just would hate for the key to turn up elsewhere and off goes my boat.
Can this be done or is lockpicking the only possible way and somehow I must get it up even though I play on a non pvp server?

Thanks in advance.

Name ingame: Xrosyx

• Like 1

I'm unsure what the freedom policy on this currently is, especially if you show as the ship's owner. A GM should know.

If lockpicking is the only way, you might to consider going with a skilled picker on Chaos. However, that can be dangerous as once the ship is on Chaos, anyone can take it.

It is possible to train the skill on a pve server; however, I don't recommend it unless you plan to pick locks a lot. Still its easier to gain this skill than it use to be.

Edited by Klaa

I'm unsure what the freedom policy on this currently is, especially if you show as the ship's owner. A GM should know.

If lockpicking is the only way, you might to consider going with a skilled picker on Chaos. However, that can be dangerous as once the ship is on Chaos, anyone can take it.

It is possible to train the skill on a pve server; however, I don't recommend it unless you plan to pick locks a lot. Still its easier to gain this skill than it use to be.

Yeah that is what I was worried about, taking it there and losing it haha. I own it and it's on my deed but currently I can't pick it and am worried that someone could happen upon it who had found the key and yeah. Wasn't sure if I should do a /support ticket in game on this sort of issue

Doing a support ticket wont hurt even if the CAs and/or GMs tell you they cant do anything.

So far I haven't had my heart ripped out on wasted support tickets anyways. Those happened after other issues... :ph34r:

EDIT: I do recommend that you post the results of their decision on this thread, and it may get moved to the Community Assistance sub thread by a Forum mod.

Edited by Klaa

Doing a support ticket wont hurt even if the CAs and/or GMs tell you they cant do anything.

So far I haven't had my heart ripped out on wasted support tickets anyways. Those happened after other issues... :ph34r:

EDIT: I do recommend that you post the results of their decision on this thread, and it may get moved to the Community Assistance sub thread by a Forum mod.

CM said that a GM wouldn't remove lock cause it can be removed by in game mechanics.

They suggested I use a copper key with CoC on it to make key molds to level locksmithing, then at 30 LS craft lockpicks and pick doors of my own buildings to get that up high enough to pick the boat. Said it took their ally only 2 days to level both enough to pick their boat. So I will be trying that.

With a 1% chance I once picked a lock in 6 tries. This is where I mention it may take an hour or so any other time and to have a lot of good picks hehe. It is possible though

Mmm that is a decent way to get locksmithing up at low levels, or at least it use to be. I haven't had to get that skill up from 1.0 in a long time.

Lockpicking wise... is a bit trickier, especially on pve. Theres a new skillgain system that's been in place a couple years or so.

First it has to be a lock you attached (doesn't matter on pvp) or have permissions for. I prefer small chests for the portability and as long as I did the attach, permissions ignore them.

Next Lockpicking only gets skill triggers after every ten minutes, ignore the Thievery ticks. Its the actual Lockpicking ones you want, and the in-client custom timers are handy for this.

Then the ql of the lockpick is important, for the action to even work the pick ql has to be more then twenty below the lock's ql. Need at least a 72ql pick to pick a 92ql lock (getting high ql picks consistently needs fairly high locksmithing). Pick ql is a random chance maxed by the iron lump used.

Then there's the minimum lockpicking skill to start being effective. Rolf said 30 when he coded the new system a couple years ago. Personally its more around 50.

EDIT: Sure one can pick locks with a 1% or less chance, I do it all the time. However, it can take ALOT of picks and time. Who knows sometimes I get lucky.

Edited by Klaa

1% or 10%, its still pretty random you could pick the lock with the first or 100th attempt. :P

• Like 1

Oh yeah it was horrible back when we couldn't even see the difficulty percentage.

Id be picking something for hours wondering if I was wasting my time or not.

Still can take forever; though, now I feel so much better knowing the chance.

It's just, that with no skill the picks will break very easily. You may need a ton of lockpicks.

Taking the boat to Chaos, even with a trusted person to help you, chances are you will be killed and the boat taken.

Worth more to train your locksmithing and lockpicking to try and remove the lock yourself. Can also transfer ownership to someone with decent lockpicking skill, but again, chances are you wouldn't see it back again.

Furthermore, with a decent locksmithing, you can make decent door locks you can sell to Mag priests for favor :P

And, as I already told you, it can be a fun task and something to break monotony, considering is not something you are doing everyday, and definitely something you didn't have on your agenda. With a little sense of humor, every obstacle turns into an entertaining challenge. :)

• Like 1

Entirely up to you, I understand if you'd rather do it yourself. Merely presenting options in the event one gets burned out.

If a trusted lock picker is not found, I can recommend someone who has higher lock picking than even I on the Freedom cluster side. As loathe as I am to admit it or even talk about my Thievery skills, my Epic-side lock picking is far higher than my Chaos/Freedom-side... the entire system was changed while I was focused on playing in Epic.

The player in question currently plays primarily on Epic; however, afaik the higher skill is on the Freedom side. Tbh I have no idea offhand what char he had it on, or if he still even owns it. It was over two years ago when the skill was revealed to me.

If he's not available, there's others.

Granted I cannot speak for safe passage from all pvp factions on Chaos; though, such from Empire of MR are usually a safe guarantee, as long as MR elders are forewarned. Some tend to use a "kill first, ask questions later" policy :ph34r:

Edited by Klaa

I'm happy to mail you a 80+ql lockpick, pm me if needed

Thanks everyone for the help and interest :) I will take all of this into consideration and think I will be going with Evening's suggestion and leveling my skill. I am not a big fan of pvp and I would hate to lose my boat even on accident.

• Like 1

If you're on Inde, I could help with the lockpicking. I wouldn't ruin my character rep over a boat.

Did they change something?

Should be able to replace the lock as owner by attaching a higher ql lock.

• Like 1

Did they change something?

Should be able to replace the lock as owner by attaching a higher ql lock.

I had just come back to this thread because I was thinking the same thing.

1% chance is pretty normal, just pick it for awhile you'll get it eventually, probably would take less time to pick it than for a gm to respond.

this is the normal way of getting boats on epic, hardly anybody builds them, so have fun :D

I would just grind lockpicking for a week or 2 using the small cheat method

then when its high enough to be able to pick the boat lock, just get a 100 of the highest lockpicks u can, and just spam picking....

its all about the RNG, eventuallly even at a 1% chance, u can succeed.

1% chance is not that bad at all!

Just grab a handful of lockpicks capable of picking it and start picking. It might take an hour or 2 if unlucky, perhaps 3, but could just as well be within the first 10 minutes.

There is no need to grind lockpicking just for that, lockpicking only adds to the chances. A 1 lockpick level person could pick a 99 QL lock within 1 try if luck is on his side.

Still think continually picking it till it opens for an hour or 2-3 beats having to grind this for a few weeks :)

• Like 1

I would just grind lockpicking for a week or 2 using the small cheat method

Small cheat method?

You have my undivided attention.

Unless you mean small chest?

Edited by Klaa

If you own the boat, why do you need to change the lock??. You don't need key to set permissions.  I don't think it is legal for people to lockpick a boat on Freedom. So you should be safe.

Yeah Chest.... Typing on my Tab3 gives me fat fingers

• Like 1

If you own the boat, why do you need to change the lock??. You don't need key to set permissions.  I don't think it is legal for people to lockpick a boat on Freedom. So you should be safe.

What happens if someone finds the key?

True they can't take ownership but if the lock is removed the settings are no longer valid and that means everyone will have access to your boat and the cargo hold.

I personally choose to always replace the lock with one I've made myself even if worst Ql.

• Like 1

What happens if someone finds the key?

True they can't take ownership but if the lock is removed the settings are no longer valid and that means everyone will have access to your boat and the cargo hold.

I personally choose to always replace the lock with one I've made myself even if worst Ql

This is the exact reason I wanted to get it off, as you are saying what "if" by some strange chance someone happens upon the key and accidentally upon my boat? They could take it off and take the boat. I don't know if anyone would do that but its a precautionary thing that doesn't hurt imo.