Sign in to follow this  
Tsetse

Player made PVE content and dungeons.

First of all I think Wurm is an amazing game and Rolf is a genius, the dev team has done a lot of great things to improve the game during the time I have played it.

Although as good as Wurm is, there has been a lot of valid complaints about the lack of PVE content lately. Actually there has been complaints about this for as long as I remember. I am guessing that the reason for lack of PVE content is because it is very expensive to hire developers to create such PVE content. Luckily Wurm has a natural solution for this with players who enjoy building and creating content. This suggestion will also solve the problem with critter spawn. Instead of turning up the amount of critters on the entire server players will create critters where they are needed.

I actually have more then one suggestion how to make it work. I list them from easiest to implement to more complicated ones. It´s also just a collection of ideas ideas and not the best solution anyone can think of. Some ideas are inspired partly from other peoples suggestions that I thought were good.

1. The easiest one would be to allow players to create monster lairs on their deed, the function for this is already there if you copy the code from guard towers and instead let the lair spawn hostile critters, then you can create a room with critters. Guard towers also cannot be created too close to each other and lairs should work the same way which would demand some space between the lairs and create an interesting dungeon to walk through. Make each critter killed work the same as a sacrificed item does to increase village bonus. The sacrifice value for each critter would of course have to be balanced to not be overpowered. If its difficult to program village bonus from a kill then perhaps allow sacrifice to be made with god statuette and give the player a small chance for a rare coin (same chance as selling corpse to token). Guards and spirit templars shouldn´t be aggressive towards lair critters.

2. If it´s too unreasonable and unrealistic that a mayor would create a monster dungeon below his own village then make the lairs harvestable by the mayor and critters are "attracted" to the lairs. Different mushroom patches could act as a spawning lairs for goblins, trolls, or cave bugs, spider lairs could have silk, lava fiend comes from lava so perhaps if you built a magma vent you could build a magma ore smelter above it using same mechanic as water tiles for wells. Mushrooms could be part of increased alchemy and potion making that has been suggested before.

3. Another good suggestion I read was to use a PVE island/server where you cannot place a deed and only go there to hunt. It´s a good suggestion but a better suggestion would be that you can go to this server and build a dungeon, town or castle and populate it with critter lairs. To build there you would buy a portal writ from a trader and place the portal on your normal deed on the Freedom isles. When you first use the portal as mayor you end up at a start location on the new PVE island. From there you run to a good location and drop your second portal and start building your new PVE location. The portal would function exactly like the Epic portals but instead of leading to Epic you go to the corresponding portal at the PVE location.

When you kill critters here you get all the normal meat, paws, teeth, hides, eyes etc but since you can´t bring a horse or cart to carry it all the critters also drop a new high QL item with a fast decay that can be sold to a token the same way as a corpse when you return to Freedom isles through the portal. Selling the item also give a sacrificial village bonus, it has high decay to encourage that the player sell it in the same village as the PVE portal that he used.

4. If all of the above is too complicated or if player made PVE content and dungeons is not a good idea then the most simple idea to improve PVE would be to let trolls, goblins and lava fiend have a very small chance to drop a ruined adamantine or ruined glimmersteel items. All you can do with this ruined item is smelt it into a lump. With enough lumps gathered this way you can eventually create adamantine and glimmersteel armor and weapon.

But in my opinion adding a bit of Dungeon Keeper to Wurm would turn this game into something even better, it would improve spawn distribution of critters reduce server load because critters stay close to lair instead of roam, let players be creative and the devs can keep developing the game instead of creating content.

smelting furnace: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/93961-smelting-furnace/?hl=dungeons

mushroom farm: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/119915-growing-mushrooms-in-mines/?hl=%2Bmushroom+%2Bfarm

hunting server: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/74748-hunting-server/?hl=dungeon

• Like 2

First of all I think Wurm is an amazing game and Rolf is a genius, the dev team has done a lot of great things to improve the game during the time I have played it.

Although as good as Wurm is, there has been a lot of valid complaints about the lack of PVE content lately. Actually there has been complaints about this for as long as I remember. I am guessing that the reason for lack of PVE content is because it is very expensive to hire developers to create such PVE content. Luckily Wurm has a natural solution for this with players who enjoy building and creating content. This suggestion will also solve the problem with critter spawn. Instead of turning up the amount of critters on the entire server players will create critters where they are needed.

I actually have more then one suggestion how to make it work. I list them from easiest to implement to more complicated ones. It´s also just a collection of ideas ideas and not the best solution anyone can think of. Some ideas are inspired partly from other peoples suggestions that I thought were good.

1. The easiest one would be to allow players to create monster lairs on their deed, the function for this is already there if you copy the code from guard towers and instead let the lair spawn hostile critters, then you can create a room with critters. Guard towers also cannot be created too close to each other and lairs should work the same way which would demand some space between the lairs and create an interesting dungeon to walk through. Make each critter killed work the same as a sacrificed item does to increase village bonus. The sacrifice value for each critter would of course have to be balanced to not be overpowered. If its difficult to program village bonus from a kill then perhaps allow sacrifice to be made with god statuette and give the player a small chance for a rare coin (same chance as selling corpse to token). Guards and spirit templars shouldn´t be aggressive towards lair critters.

2. If it´s too unreasonable and unrealistic that a mayor would create a monster dungeon below his own village then make the lairs harvestable by the mayor and critters are "attracted" to the lairs. Different mushroom patches could act as a spawning lairs for goblins, trolls, or cave bugs, spider lairs could have silk, lava fiend comes from lava so perhaps if you built a magma vent you could build a magma ore smelter above it using same mechanic as water tiles for wells. Mushrooms could be part of increased alchemy and potion making that has been suggested before.

3. Another good suggestion I read was to use a PVE island/server where you cannot place a deed and only go there to hunt. It´s a good suggestion but a better suggestion would be that you can go to this server and build a dungeon, town or castle and populate it with critter lairs. To build there you would buy a portal writ from a trader and place the portal on your normal deed on the Freedom isles. When you first use the portal as mayor you end up at a start location on the new PVE island. From there you run to a good location and drop your second portal and start building your new PVE location. The portal would function exactly like the Epic portals but instead of leading to Epic you go to the corresponding portal at the PVE location.

When you kill critters here you get all the normal meat, paws, teeth, hides, eyes etc but since you can´t bring a horse or cart to carry it all the critters also drop a new high QL item with a fast decay that can be sold to a token the same way as a corpse when you return to Freedom isles through the portal. Selling the item also give a sacrificial village bonus, it has high decay to encourage that the player sell it in the same village as the PVE portal that he used.

4. If all of the above is too complicated or if player made PVE content and dungeons is not a good idea then the most simple idea to improve PVE would be to let trolls, goblins and lava fiend have a very small chance to drop a ruined adamantine or ruined glimmersteel items. All you can do with this ruined item is smelt it into a lump. With enough lumps gathered this way you can eventually create adamantine and glimmersteel armor and weapon.

But in my opinion adding a bit of Dungeon Keeper to Wurm would turn this game into something even better, it would improve spawn distribution of critters reduce server load because critters stay close to lair instead of roam, let players be creative and the devs can keep developing the game instead of creating content.

smelting furnace: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/93961-smelting-furnace/?hl=dungeons

mushroom farm: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/119915-growing-mushrooms-in-mines/?hl=%2Bmushroom+%2Bfarm

hunting server: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/74748-hunting-server/?hl=dungeon

1. -1

2. -1

3. Maybe

4. -1

First of all i start by saying Pvp content? What is that.. the whole game is one and saying pvpers get something special, don´t see it, Server reset for elevation and Hota (that was years ago) seems as the only thing. Everything else is for the whole playerbase. Now if you cannot find anything to hunt then you should check Exo or Celebration for that. No monster dens, instances or stuff like that, if you like it theres a game called WoW out there. No real need, theres tons to hunt out there anyway. + create a spider den and get my wep skills up to 70 in a week.. heh. that would not be abused at all.

So in general a big -1 from me.

Edited by Wulfgarr

Not sure about 1. and don't like 4.

2. might be cool, but it is effectively stealing mob spawns from other players if you can run around and take the lairs.

3. Sounds like fun, always enjoyed exploring old deeds and other player creations.

1. -1

2. -1

3. Maybe

4. -1

First of all i start by saying Pvp content? What is that.. the whole game is one and saying pvpers get something special, don´t see it, Server reset for elevation and Hota (that was years ago) seems as the only thing. Everything else is for the whole playerbase. Now if you cannot find anything to hunt then you should check Exo or Celebration for that. No monster dens, instances or stuff like that, if you like it theres a game called WoW out there. No real need, theres tons to hunt out there anyway. + create a spider den and get my wep skills up to 70 in a week.. heh. that would not be abused at all.

So in general a big -1 from me.

Pvp content? Is that a typo? How is this related to pvp?

Server reset? Hota?

How do you know you can bring your weapon skills to 70 in a week when nobody has mentioned spawn rate? I can basically kill critters non stop at the moment so I dont see how it can be abused any further.

Wow doesnt allow PVE content creation by players. Next gen Everquest Next was supposed to provide that but it looks like its getting cancelled and Wurm can provide the same without hardly any effort from developers.

Exploring user created content is more interesting than chasing desert spiders and scorpions.

Not sure about 1. and don't like 4.

2. might be cool, but it is effectively stealing mob spawns from other players if you can run around and take the lairs.

3. Sounds like fun, always enjoyed exploring old deeds and other player creations.

2. a mayor would actually be happy to have someone grinding in his dungeon because it would give him village bonus.

3. Yes and it would give creative people more of a reason to build if you could place lairs inside castle rooms.

Edited by Tsetse

1. Mmm if the spawns are limited in some manner, and no skillgain.

Personally, this would be something for critters players can breed and train on their own, in which case never mind limits on spawns and skillgain.

Far as the rest go, Id love to be able to build and rig things underground, and atm there's only three traps that work on cave tiles.

2. a mayor would actually be happy to have someone grinding in his dungeon because it would give him village bonus.

3. Yes and it would give creative people more of a reason to build if you could place lairs inside castle rooms.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about 2.

I'm assuming that the mayor would get the mob liars by finding them elsewhere and bringing them to their deed.

It's then those other players that live 'elsewhere' who no longer have the same mob spawns near them, admittedly it's not actually much of a problem.

I meant building them like you build a guard tower and as guard towers they require some tile distance between each lair but not as much as a guard tower.

Skill gain could have diminishing returns same way as prospecting but larger area to force people to move around or just dont let critters spawn unless you sacrifice the corpses to prevent people from leaving their character at a lair when they go to bed.

The idea is to use already existing features to make it easy for developers to allow players to create PVE content.

Edited by Tsetse

Thing is you can create dungeons with the current system.

Of course not dungeons as you can see on themepark games, but if you go off deed, you can for example create really large mines or even fenced areas with the potential to work as a dungeon.

Sure there will be no bosses (unless you have the luck of champs spawning) and there will be no zones or ways to control the spawns, but is doable.

Idk if is still there but some time ago used to be several interconected caves a bit north of Tap Dance on Cele, the caves where spreaded over a fair large area and several entrances existed, some of those had huge shafts, and several creatures spawned and roamed that caves all the time, since most part of that was undeeded.

Edited by KunAlt

Yes, its true Wurm is very good at creating natural dungeons from old decaying settlement mines that is fun to explore. But xanadu has problem with mob distribution and I think it would be cool if you could create a dungeon and solve the mob distribution problem and lack of pve problem at the same time. Some people love bilding but complain they dont get anything from it but if they could build a nice dungeon they would get village bonus from people killing their critters. It would enchance markets as well. With some diminishing returns or battle fatigue you could encourage people to visit different villages and move around or let people regain some at an inn for that rpg feel.

bump

Allow players to create PVE content. Also add it to Wurm Unlimited so people can create and host real dungeons.

Great ideas, love # 1 and 4 ! 2 not bad, not sure about portals .