Sign in to follow this  
Drakony

Timers are way too long, PLEASE reduce them dramatically.

I am sure this isn't the first time this post has been made, but this is my first post so I would like my voice to be heard.

I just spent over 4 hours making 2 quivers full of arrows. The time it takes to make things in this game is just ridiculous.

I feel like I am working a second job and all I want to do is go out and have some fun...

I really do like the game and what it represents, but basic flawed fundamentals are making this game mostly not enjoyable when it could be a lot of fun.

Main recommendation is to lower the timers to no more than three seconds, if not 1 or 2 seconds. Skilling up is slow enough as it is and with the timers shortened to 1-3 seconds, it would make the game much more enjoyable.

I already have a job but when I play, I feel like I am taking on a second job that I have to pay to work at.

Seriously, please consider making the timers to create an item somewhere between 1 to 3 seconds so I can actually go out and hunt instead of creating what I need to hunt for my entire gaming time.

• Like 1

Shouldn't take that long with the proper fletching skills.  what is yours at?

Wurm is mostly slow-paced.  It takes a long time to get things done without the proper skills.

If you want a faster game, I suggest joining an epic server. They have faster skill gain and the skill curve helps people catch up much faster for the vast majority of the skill spectrum. 

• Like 5

Ever watched someone make arrows? I grew up in a family that hunts. They made their own ammo, well loaded their own bullets vs make them entirely but... It takes less time in Wurm than IRL to make arrows. The difference is how many you have to shoot to kill something in Wurm vs IRL. 

That being said, it is a game and not IRL but arrows are seriously slow work.

Shouldn't take that long with the proper fletching skills.  what is yours at?

Wurm is mostly slow-paced.  It takes a long time to get things done without the proper skills.

If you want a faster game, I suggest joining an epic server. They have faster skill gain and the skill curve helps people catch up much faster for the vast majority of the skill spectrum. 

I am on an Epic server. I'm not really worried about faster skill gains, just faster timers. My skill in fletching is 37.

Ever watched someone make arrows? I grew up in a family that hunts. They made their own ammo, well loaded their own bullets vs make them entirely but... It takes less time in Wurm than IRL to make arrows. The difference is how many you have to shoot to kill something in Wurm vs IRL. 

That being said, it is a game and not IRL but arrows are seriously slow work.

It isn't just fletching, it's almost everything... creating healing covers, farming, crafting in general.

I understand the game sticks with a close to reality feel, but the time it takes to do and make things isn't one good trait to be close to reality with. Not everyone has hours to make things and it is a huge turn-off in my opinion.

I am on an Epic server. I'm not really worried about faster skill gains, just faster timers. My skill in fletching is 37.

Could have fooled me, haha.

Skilling up is slow enough as it is and with the timers shortened to 1-3 seconds, it would make the game much more enjoyable.

Anyway, what QL arrows are you looking for to hunt with? I'm on Freedom, so I've never shot a bow before.  If you're making arrows at 37 skill, with the curve, I expect you're making 40-50QL arrows?  Bump your skill up to 60 (that's 84 equivalent), and you'll be pooping out 50 QL arrows like no tomorrow.

Edited by Hailene

Oh! Not disagreeing with you at all. It's a game.

• Like 1

This is a question of opinion.

Of course, I understand your opinion, and kinda even share it, but I really, REALLY doubt they'll do anything about it. The time you spend on making things is what creates the feeling of satisfaction when you actually finish it, and I'm sure people that play constantly don't mind the long timers.

• Like 2

Yeah they could be halved; though, there are skills where the skillgain relies on longer timers.

In fact the timers have been shortened some over the years.

EDIT: Really be nice if there was some simple way to trick players into being entertained while the timer goes by... anything but mini-games!

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I am just giving the developers the main problem with this game in my eyes, because this is my biggest turn off to the game and will be the reason I look elsewhere for my entertainment. 

I have been playing MMORPG's since Neverwinter came out on AOL and everything since then pretty much. Just saying, I have a ton of experience playing games like this and I know what is NOT fun.

I am not here to troll or rant, I just want them to know that I personally want to spend more time actually going out and using my bow than I do making the arrows to shoot out of my bow.

If I end up looking for something else to play, they will know the main reason why I stopped subbing. And it's not JUST making arrows, it's pretty much the timer to make everything.

Thanks.

Edited by Drakony

And please don't reply with "Buy your arrows then..." LOL

• Like 1

Could just bring back Challenge, i mean its pvp but its so much faster for some to enjoy over normal wurm but even then it removes players from the actual game that's being bought. and challenge was free

• Like 2

The timers for skill gain can't really be shortened at this point, because too many people suffered to get where they are waiting through them. But I agree, every OTHER timer has to go. If I'm not getting skill gain from it, I don't want to have my time wasted. PUT SOME BALANCE IN THIS GAME. That way you don't have to ask me to re-pay with decay to keep the game going, there can be new players instead.

• Like 1

When I was playing my main and two alts, and crafting or skilling up just about anything, I'd still have to read a book, play Minecraft, or watch a movie. Whilst playing Wurm.

So again, that's running 3 toons AT ONCE, popping between them when the timers are done, and still bored out of the gourd to the point that I could actively play another game, or watch a show and still not miss the timers.

To some people, that's OK. To me, that's walking the thin edge of pretty darn ridiculous.

But... that's OK. To each their own. I'm currently playing a browser game with pretty ridiculous timers. Like 45 mins to make a shield and you can't do anything else during that time. But the difference is, I can queue up something like 12 hours worth of actions and then log off and it then completes them.

I'm sure it'd get some flak from the "I suffered so you all must also suffer crowd" but if queue'in actions was divorced from Mind Logic (?) (or whatever attribute it's tied to) and simply given as an option, it'd suck a whole lot less. Yea, some people who are into pain groove on the struggle and all that I suppose. But if there was a server with very short timers and full unlocked queue actions across the board, I bet it would be pretty popular.

• Like 1

Yeah they could be halved; though, there are skills where the skillgain relies on longer timers.

In fact the timers have been shortened some over the years.

EDIT: Really be nice if there was some simple way to trick players into being entertained while the timer goes by... anything but mini-games!

NETFLIX!!!!   Woot!

• Like 2

If I end up looking for something else to play, they will know the main reason why I stopped subbing. And it's not JUST making arrows, it's pretty much the timer to make everything.

I'm not here to dictate fun, but I think you're approaching Wurm at a...less than ideal way.  You're looking at Wurm like you'd play another game, and to be fair, Wurm isn't like another game.

At least for me, Wurm is something I do while doing something else.  I queue 6 actions and check back in 2 minutes.  It's like a Facebook game with more depth and longer shelf-life.

If you expect Wurm to play like a themepark game or FPS where you're staring at the screen the entire time with constant action, then you're not going to enjoy Wurm.

If this isn't your cup of tea, that's fine.  Niche games are here to satisfy their niche. By their nature, they can't have mass-appeal.

• Like 3

Could just bring back Challenge, i mean its pvp but its so much faster for some to enjoy over normal wurm but even then it removes players from the actual game that's being bought. and challenge was free

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Bring back challenge please. free

• Like 2

I'm not here to dictate fun, but I think you're approaching Wurm at a...less than ideal way.  You're looking at Wurm like you'd play another game, and to be fair, Wurm isn't like another game.

At least for me, Wurm is something I do while doing something else.  I queue 6 actions and check back in 2 minutes.  It's like a Facebook game with more depth and longer shelf-life.

If you expect Wurm to play like a themepark game or FPS where you're staring at the screen the entire time with constant action, then you're not going to enjoy Wurm.

If this isn't your cup of tea, that's fine.  Niche games are here to satisfy their niche. By their nature, they can't have mass-appeal.

The only reason I even made this topic is because it is my niche, everything else about the game is the kind of game I like to play. It's just the timers are just too long. There needs to be a better balance between the time I am out having fun and the time it takes to make the things required to have fun.

Games can be realistic but at the same time, the time it takes to create things doesn't need to be realistic as the reason most people play a game is to have fun. What is fun about it taking 4 hours to create 82 40ql arrows? Not to mention that finding your arrows in the grass is another time consuming event in itself as you don't want to waste any arrows as it takes forever to make a quiver full.

• Like 1

Go straight 10 tiles and take a left at Minecraft ;)

Personally I like the way the timers are. I dislike games that take no time at all to build entire cities or complete entire tasks in mere minutes or an hour. When I first started it took me a few weeks to complete my city. The way the timers are sped up is by getting higher skills, tools with woa, and by using combinable materials or weapons with woa. As it is now I have 92 masonry with a 101 woa rare trowel and it takes me less than 15 seconds to put a wall up in a house and I can easily complete multiple 2-3 story 9x4 buildings in a day. It takes me less than 24 hours to complete a colossus. If you want faster timers you earn them in this game with hard work. This is the way that Wurm is and personally I think that this is a fantastic system. Personally my suggestion to you would be to invest in a really good carving knife that is high ql, maybe rare or supreme, and has some really high woa on it. I hope that you stay we all love new players in the game, but this is not minecraft and is far better than any other sandbox that I have played in years. There are a lot of things fundamentally that can be fixed, but the dev team is currently working incredibly hard on this task. The timers though I think are scaled perfectly, higher skill, higher ql, higher Wind of Ages (WoA), higher rarity = faster timers. Best of luck to you hun.

• Like 2

Games can be realistic but at the same time, the time it takes to create things doesn't need to be realistic as the reason most people play a game is to have fun. What is fun about it taking 4 hours to create 82 40ql arrows? Not to mention that finding your arrows in the grass is another time consuming event in itself as you don't want to waste any arrows as it takes forever to make a quiver full.

Actually what I found fun was skilling up to the point that things don't take forever to complete, I was just telling my wife about how a tower took us about 5 days to create when we first started playing, but yesterday we build one in about 4 hours, we can look at our deed and see all the fruits of our labor, in fact we are considering starting a new deed knowing that we can build it in about 1/2 the time.  It does get better, and it is quite rewarding when it does.  You just need to focus on a couple specific skills that interest you, and skill them up, when u get bored just jump to some other skill, or better yet a sub skill of your main.

I also tried to make arrows early in the game and decided it was WAY to tedious and moved to something else, occasionally threw arrows together until I skilled that up.. The beauty of this game is you don't have to get bored as hell doing the same crap over and over again...

• Like 4

I watch movies/tv while making things. Makes them go by quicker, and I get to see things I normally wouldnt watch. Once your skill gets high enough, and you get woa/botd tools, you will get timers less than 6 seconds most of the time. I have a rare pick axe that averages 2.9 mine times in 6 actions. 2.8, 2.8, 2.9, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1 are the action timers. That is at 90+ql and with 90+ mining as well though.

• Like 2

What is fun about it taking 4 hours to create 82 40ql arrows?

From the sound of it, you just need to level up your fletching.  Get to 60 skill and at 84 effective, you'll be blasting through 40QL arrows in no time.

I'd guess it'd take you maybe 15 minutes with some good tools.

I am just giving the developers the main problem with this game in my eyes, because this is my biggest turn off to the game and will be the reason I look elsewhere for my entertainment.

Farewell then. The game Developers are well aware of the timers and their significance related to skill levels, characteristics and tool enchantment effects. Shortening the timers to your likening will never happen, so it is best to face the reality of this response if you wish to continue to play this game.

As has been pointed out by others, various timers will raise in different intervals as skill and characteristic levels rise. If you are not content with seeing your progress then that is not really a problem with the game but with your perspective and that is the only thing that you have the ability to adjust accordingly.

There are a number of things I would like to change about the game as well but years of experience have taught me to discern the difference of what might possibly change and what will not. Now I just avoid the brick walls of implacability and my head avoids the bruising's of impossible dreams unfulfilled.

To me the game is very enjoyable in spite of these things, so here I remain. Possibly you will as well...

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 3