Sign in to follow this  
Mordraug

Allow having more than one tame creature (PvE)

This is not about un-nerfing the difficulty ratings on stuff.

This is not about quicker exp or stuff staying tame longer.

Those things are off-topic to say the least.

This thread has been tagged "PvE", meaning it's for PvE, if PvP'ers want it too feel free to share ideas, if not keep the derails, trolls, and "-1" out unless you also PvE.  How this will affect PvP is inconsequent, it's not intended as a suggestion for PvP.  And don't even start with the "if you want things easier" bull%@#$, I have the levels and endless hours of grind to discuss taming thank you very much.

That said:

The two biggest problems with taming at the moment are breeding the creatures, then weaning them.

Currently, the best way to breed two aggros is have an alt standing there getting chewed on while the tame one "does the deed".  I'm sure a few things wrong with that can be discussed, but this is a family forums eh.

Then when the pup is born, you tame it, and can't lead in combat so tricky as hell to take it away from the mother before one of them winds up dead.

Simple suggestion:  After 50 taming, add the ability to tame a second one with max loyalty being split among the two animals.  Meaning with my 70 taming, I could tame a hell hound to 70 loyalty points, but second I tame a second one, neither will be able to be tamed past 35.

Apart from breeding/weaning making more sense, a pair of wolves make great house pets ^_^   

Also, hell horse owners could finally hitch them to their carts without having to worry about rogue templars.

On a side note:  Why not add a "roam" order to pets, so they can be tame and roam normally if allowed.  Once again, wolves as house pets ftw.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 9

+1 to anything that makes breeding and dealing with aggros less of a panic.

Inb4 "PvE has no use for tamed animals" 

Was in northeast Xanadu the other day, chased by literally 3-5 trolls at a time on a couple of occasions (nerve-wracking area, loved it).

Butcher spider -> tame bear/hell hound/croc -> Proceed with sprouting and fighting/evading one's way through.

Added a couple more hours to my exploration.

Make it to a max of 4 slots, 25, 50, 75, 99 but each slot will be harder to fill if the previous one is full.

So if you want a dog as second slot the dog loose loyalty as a fast rate than the the first animal.

If someone wants to get 99 taming and wander around killing rats with a pack of four champ wolves so be it, he/she deserves it.

The number comes form the max animals you can lead.

• Like 1

Simple suggestion:  After 50 taming, add the ability to tame a second one with max loyalty being split among the two animals.  Meaning with my 70 taming, I could tame a hell hound to 70 loyalty points, but second I tame a second one, neither will be able to be tamed past 35.

I like this idea, and think it could even work pretty well for the PvP side of things.

One change I might suggest,

Allow anyone to tame almost any number of animals at any level, but each pet takes an equal share of your max loyalty, like in your example.

So someone with 10 taming could get two hostile mobs tamed at 5 loyalty each for the sake of breeding them.

And continuing your example;

With 70 taming you could have two hellhounds at 35 loyalty,

or ten hellhounds at 7 loyalty,

or seventy hellhounds at 1 loyalty (Ok, maybe there does need to be an upper limit)

Always thought of deals like this as good for high levels of taming and/or animal husbandry.

Been unsure if allowing more pets would be fine for Charm, Dominate, and Rebirth. Let alone what should determine the limit in those cases. maybe a mind or soul stat.

I like the idea of opening additional 'slots' at higher skills - perhaps another slot beyond the first at each 20 points (so similar to how prospecting works)?  And spreading the max loyalty across all the slots sounds like a good balance - that way, you either get 1 really loyal pet or a pack of somewhat-loyal ones.  As pets lose loyalty when hit in combat, maintaining a pack of hunting crocs would be a hair-raising experience - never know when one of them will go rogue and attack another one, causing a cascade...

Breeding aggro mobs is currently a PITA (or wherever else you got bitten), requiring alts to do reasonably, and that seems like a pity. 

• Like 1

I like the ideas and agree that taming could use some looking into. I particularly like the "roam" suggestion.

+1 Great idea for those of us who love PvE and enjoy breeding/pets!

+1. I'd like to see 2 animals allowed at lvl50 and 3 at lvl90

Regardless of the feedback you deem "worthy" - this would unbalance a lot of systems.  Systems you might not care about, but they are in place none-the-less.

Regardless of the feedback you deem "worthy" - this would unbalance a lot of systems.  Systems you might not care about, but they are in place none-the-less.

Such as what systems?

• Like 1

Should have already been done based on taming...AH or something...

There's a combo.... 

Should have already been done based on taming...AH or something...

50 AH aaand 50 Taming for second creature, 75 and 75 for third....

And while we're at it, wouldn't hurt to add "care for" numbers based on taming, say 1 more per 20 levels.

Hell hounds die so young =( 

Something akin to a beastmaster sounds like fun.

Require the player wanting to go this route to be a Fo follower?  Just a thought.  Seems like Fo could be involved somehow.

The two biggest problems with taming at the moment are breeding the creatures, then weaning them.

• Like 1

I have to ask, Ayes... Ever use anything tamed on PvE to get out of a dense area?

I disagree with your conclusion here, upon which you make this topic. The one biggest problem with taming is that these "pets" are then useless as fighting companions. This is the main issue with pets on PvE servers. They should at least have the ability to make it a draw when they are newly tamed and fighting the same type of creature. Then as they fight their fighting skill should raise accordingly. This would be more inline with Taming benefit within other games.

Your suggestion here just makes them maintain their current status as little more than window dressing to those who have tamed them. Other than having two useless ones simultaneously. Yea, you can breed them easier this way, is about it.

=Ayes=

Yeah I'd rather be able train a wolf up instead of having to choose between alligators, hell hounds, trolls etc. and keep him on me for a long while maybe on a certain ingame resource cost or silver upkeep.

Crocs are for tanking.

Wolf, no matter how much you level them they'll be hella squishy, same as hell hounds.. you tank for those and bring them for the DPS extra.  Bears... kind of a mid point though love the damage greenish ones put out.

Their 50% CR nerf can be dealt with by breeding up tougher traits... which is where taming at least a second creature is kinda logical to add.... ***specially since we can't lead during combat***

That and hell horse carts without having to worry about neurotic templars.

This is one of the biggest problems with the community, right here. Let's shoot an idea down, give a vague and often false reason for it being a bad idea, and then not back it up with anything - usually because there IS nothing to back it up. Folks, grow up and debate like adults. If you have a valid point or reason, provide specifics or stay out of the sandbox. There are others here that are actually trying to HELP the rest of us with their ideas, and all you're doing is being trolling and negative. There's no reason for this.

Now...

+1

Skills should have better rewards the higher you go, and I see no reason for not allowing someone with a high enough skill to tame multiple creatures. The restrictions the OP mention seem fair - especially splitting loyalty. Another restriction I could see would be to select only one tame animal to assist in combat. 

• Like 1