Sign in to follow this  
Verotika

Horsing Around

So, a croc just killed my 5 speed. And, not two minutes prior, a couple trolls killed the horses of a friend of mine, far away in a distant deed (we're on Release). None of the horses were tamed. Is this just coincidence, or....

A creature hasn't attacked one of my horses in about a year and a half, and I've been out and about, if you know what I mean. 

Is there something going on with the new update, or is it just random chance that our horses get attacked?  :(

• Like 2

I remember about a year or so go mobs would,  on more rare occasions, attack untamed mounts.  I've lost one horse to a croc and one to a troll that way.    I remember when wagons came out there was an issue with mobs attacking animals on the carts and wagons.  After that fix I had not noticed aggro mobs attacking untamed mounts.

• Like 1

When hunting, best do it on a cart, SPECIALLY if you plan to harass trolls.

When just riding, it's best to either avoid combat or dismount before engaging, keeps the horse safe.  

That's untame mounts, tame mount, simply would avoid all combat.

• Like 1

Those poor horses... so much blood and screaming  :(

• Like 1

It would be nice to hear more feedback on this, as Brash is right there was  time it would happen on some basis and it's been a while since that has happened. maybe something changed unknowing, maybe something more to your misadventure, worth a discussion.  Either way sorry to hear.

• Like 2

It would be nice to hear more feedback on this, as Brash is right there was  time it would happen on some basis and it's been a while since that has happened. maybe something changed unknowing, maybe something more to your misadventure, worth a discussion.  Either way sorry to hear.

More feedback: After this change was made over 2 years ago (maybe 3) that all horses had the "chance" of being attacked while ridden, my horses were very frequently attacked and I lost several of them due to the fact that in 2 hits they were dead and it was very hard to be so aware of this to avoid their deaths. Even riding a distance away, dismounting, remounting and then going back to attack the aggro it would still target the horse.

The situation was so bad in my experience that I stopped riding horses when fighting aggros, or as a last resort dismounted before attacking them. Due to my going out hunting rarely on very few occasions and not wanting to loose my cart horses I stopped riding them altogether and only rode around on large carts with untamed horses hitched.

I am always surprised now when I see players rushing in to attack aggros on horses carefree, as if the possibility of their horses being targeted and killed did not exist. Maybe it was considered a "bug" that horses were not being attacked frequently when ridden and now in this season of bug squashing it has once again been reset to previous frequencies.

Even that post Brash linked was not the start of it because I remember commenting various times about it not seen within that thread. I found the change to be quite disturbing when I lost one of my poor faithful horses to it. Anyway, I don't ride around on horses now so I can't comment accurately on the current situation, only upon its history and starting point that it was thought that this was a good idea and defended by some players as such.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Aye that was added to counter the usage of horses to outrun guards and pets, not to mention counterbalance how riding mounted tended to make one nigh invincible in pve.

Though, I recall a lot of forum drama over it, and granted the chance for the targetting was pretty severe. It was either extremely dialed back or outright removed.

At least I haven't seen a non-guard attack an untamed mount in some time.

• Like 1

You can also bard your horses if you plan to fight on them.  makes them slower but gives you a better chance of getting away when attacked.

• Like 1

We had bardings on all ridibg horses back on Cele as mobs attacked them a lot. Soit Xana is different having no aggros but yes mkbs still target the mounts from time to time. Best to engage them before closing up to melee range...

• Like 1

People sure are lucky to have had it happen "on occasion", for me it happened all the time. I never ride a horse anymore though since I had to start using carts for hunting/travelling if I wanted them to stay alive so can't verify that it ever stopped happening. There was no indication from the devs that they had toned it down so I figured why stop using carts?

• Like 2

The solution is easy, never let the foe take initiative. Unless you have like 1 fs and fighting barehanded, once you land the first hit the chances of the mount stealing the aggro are nearly 0.

• Like 2

I once had a low quality large cart shattered beneath my feet by a scorpion. I was unpleasantly surprised and sinisterly amused at the same time. At least it was only the cart, not the animals. I'm glad I haven't had any casualties, or even attacks against my mounts in years.

• Like 1

When hunting, best do it on a cart, SPECIALLY if you plan to harass trolls.

When just riding, it's best to either avoid combat or dismount before engaging, keeps the horse safe.  

That's untame mounts, tame mount, simply would avoid all combat.

I used to hunt a lot (a few thousand kills including lots of trolls and crocs) riding a tame horse and never lost one. In those instances where my mount was targeted I could always speed away before any serious harm was done. Other than that targeting the mob before it targets you or your horse usually (the exeptions involved Valrei creatures) keeps it from targeting your mount.

Only time I nearly lost a tame horse was when in some rough terrain I had dismounted and a bear suddenly snuck up on it.

Edited by Arvid
  • Like 1

The solution is easy, never let the foe take initiative. Unless you have like 1 fs and fighting barehanded, once you land the first hit the chances of the mount stealing the aggro are nearly 0.

Other than that targeting the mob before it targets you or your horse usually (the exeptions involved Valrei creatures) keeps it from targeting your mount.

Wrong on both counts. Back a few years ago when my horses were being killed I tried this popular misconception. Even when targeting the aggro from a distance it would sometimes still target my horse anyway, so if I wasn't aware the horse would be dead in a few hits since I was already hitting the aggro and noticing the horse was attacked was harder to do.

Taunting it was another so called solution but by then the horse was dead as well. The best way I found to make sure I was targeted was to just approach the aggro slowly and if I came up as the target all was fine, if the horse, the only solution was to back off, dismount and attack the aggro on foot.

Ancient history for me anyway as my horses are never killed now since I don't ride them, only hitch them to carts and ride like that. Oh, there was even talk back then about making aggros be able to attack horses hitched to carts as well. It may have even been in effect for a very short time but as one can imagine it was not too popular an idea.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Wrong on both counts. Back a few years ago when my horses were being killed I tried this popular misconception. Even when targeting the aggro from a distance it would sometimes still target my horse anyway, so if I wasn't aware the horse would be dead in a few hits since I was already hitting the aggro and noticing the horse was attacked was harder to do.

Taunting it was another so called solution but by then the horse was dead as well. The best way I found to make sure I was targeted was to just approach the aggro slowly and if I came up as the target all was fine, if the horse, the only solution was to back off, dismount and attack the aggro on foot.

Ancient history for me anyway as my horses are never killed now since I don't ride them, only hitch them to carts and ride like that. Oh, there was even talk back then about making aggros be able to attack horses hitched to carts as well. It may have even been in effect for a very short time but as one can imagine it was not too popular an idea.

=Ayes=

Well, I can only say that it worked for me on many many occasions. Maybe an important difference between your experience and mine is that I was always aware and ready to retreat should anything unfortunate happen. Also on many occasions when my horse got hit, all I had to do was retreat far enough that the mob stopped following me, then target it and ride back. I never found myself forced to dismount and attack on foot.

This experience was from a period of a few months 2 years and a similar period 1 year ago (didn't play for a year now).

Edited by Arvid
  • Like 1

o.O i hunt daily, a few hours per day and when i don´t have a tamed HH (like 90% of the time) my horse does not get attacked.. like.. never.  This is a big suprise to me.. Maybe the aggro and nonaggro ration on Chaos is better as the aggros are well fed? (i remember update carvinours eating other animals when they are hungry and the amount of cows/bulls/wild horses on chaos is alot. )

• Like 1