Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Soft Caps on Player Gods

Assuming the number of player gods ever does become an issue... personally its not there yet, if it ever will be. I'm sure gamers will leave some gods pretty much forgotten, depending on the benefits.

Anyways... there could be a hard-coded mechanic for this with soft dynamic limits. If a god's follower/priest collective faith count drops below a certain limit (with a grace period after godhood), then that god no longer can manifest themselves on Valrei and/or have an impact on the player world.

Perhaps even varying levels of the god being energetic and able to manifest.

Players may need to perform certain rituals to re-awaken them: orgies and certain sacrifices included.

Yup, stealing liberally from ye 'old fantasy literature.

EDIT: Might even forget the grace period, and require followers to let the new god get up and mobile.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

>If a god's follower/priest collective faith count drops below a certain limit (with a grace period after godhood), then that god no longer can manifest themselves on Valrei

My main problem with this -- the number of followers a "god" has will surely be related to their luck with the Random Luck Generator (for spells etc.)   So God A is dethroned because he gets meaningless spells. God B is pretty much ensured eternal godhood for the remaing lifetime of the game, due to having all of the elite enchantment casts.  Something about that would bother me ...  if I cared much about the new gods.

But what happens if Fo has the very least number of followers? What happens to people who spent several years and hundreds of silver levelling up their priest? Do they get a free conversion to another faith or are they SOL?  Or, are they still forever gods, just not part of the Valrei Board Game? If they are only "removed from the Valrei game board" but still otherwise gods, does this mean we will still end up with a mountain of gods for ingame religion purposes?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Indeed the minimum level of cumulative faith is tricky to determine offhand, its mainly why I left it out. I usually don't bother with doing percentages, numbers, or even formulas in suggestions. Devs rarely use them anyways when they do act on suggestions, and I can see various reasons why.

Should one priest with faith over eighty be enough? Should it be over a thousand cumulative faith?

I didn't consider what would befall the remaining diehard priests of a diminishing god, especially the older ones that have been around for years. Offhand if a god is being abandoned at that rate, then it may be a good idea to bite the bullet and make the change. (EDIT: Perhaps seek to re-awaken that god, EPIC QUEST!)

I have had to make decisions like that in the past during various changes over whether to keep a priest, convert it to another faith, or even use it for something else entirely. (EDIT: Course there's already various mechanics dating from those changes)

To use a RL example, when one is doing mathematical analyses to determine among various financial options, say replacing an old motor or keep patching it up over time, you ignore the cost of originally buying the old motor. Sure there's emotional attachment; however, it is irrelevant when you are comparing the cost of replacing to the cost of continued repairs.

EDIT: Although, if a god is inactive, it doesn't mean persay that a priest of that god cannot still be used. Let alone being able to help allied gods and vise versa.

Edited by Klaa

I agree! These new player "gods" should all be wearing soft caps so they can be easily identified. Then each should have their own glowing badge in the center that would refract the light from another followers eyes over infinite distances so that they could eagerly rush to their side in adorement.

The more appreciated faster running followers would then be able to be rewarded a mini soft cap of their own to denote their somewhat miniscule progress over the others.

=Ayes=

Did we really need players that can ascend to living deity status?

I see nothing but problems with this, and I'm not a fan of dedicating even more dev time to something that 99.9% of all Wurm subscribers will never experience.

End the madness now and remove player "gods".  It's absurd!

• Like 1

End the madness... It's absurd!

Agreed! It will all result in the end with madness, as those followers realize the folly of their pursuits. Let time take its toll to ring the bell of superstitious pretentious predilections. Then only the sane will remain in-satiated with blank stares upon the staircases to ascendance independence.

=Ayes=

I thought this thread was gonna say something about the player having to deal with a nightcap stuck to their face for eternity, Christmas gift from Hell.

I thought this thread was gonna say something about the player having to deal with a nightcap stuck to their face for eternity, Christmas gift from Hell.

Maybe next week.