Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Heirloom Tools

You know that pickaxe you've had forever?  The one you must have used about 50,000 times?  Wouldn't it be nice if the game recognised this in some small way?

This is a simple suggestion, each tool has an integer stored on it that records its number of uses.  Once this number gets to a large one (10,000 or so ) it gains a little prefix (akin to the rare ones) "heirloom".  As a bonus heirloom tools always clearly display their maker, are slightly easier to enchant (+1 or something to rolls) and are worth double in the eyes of merchants.

Optional Extra : If they reach the unlikely use number of 50,000 they gain the "antique" prefix, also gaining an extra effective rarity level (since how many tools actually reach 50,000 individual uses?) and a larger enchantment bonus (+3 to rolls) and are worth quintuple to merchants.  So a rare antique tool would function as a supreme tool, a nice bonus for people who hand down tools.

• Like 11

For it to work though, the Heirloom thing should only be counted for uses by the one guy. Once it has Heirloom, it doesn't matter... but the same guy has to use that pickaxe, or people would just have 'Village Generic Pickaxes' and have everyone grind farming with it to raise its count. 

• Like 1

love this.  One of the coolest ideas in a long time.

I love this idea, but I feel it could be far too easily abused, like Delisira said. There would need to be a way of knowing who it belonged to

• Like 1

would be simple to make it so only the creator of the item can make it an heirloom and make the count rediculusly high like 15k - 25k actions

edit: +1 ! ! ! !

Edited by Evilreaper

I'm just happy the tool stays intact even after the first ten thousand uses... not even counting all the repairs and improving with more metal. Doubt any of the "original" material is even left by that point.

• Like 2

Creator works. Everyone has a chance of making simple tools. Like a pickaxe or shovel or such. So you make it (even at low skill) and can ask a reknown blacksmith to imp it for you or something. You would still be its creator, so if you use it, it adds to the Heirloom count. 

That's exactly what makes it a Heirloom Klaa. All of the work its seen, all of the imping, the reforging, and improving, all in all, that Tool ends up infused with a portion of its creator's Soul Strength and gains benefits from it! 

• Like 1

Aye, reminds me of a concept, which when found in Japanese literature is referred to as Tsukumogami.

Something similar could be used to generate artifacts for the player gods. Though, merely relying on usage count will open things up to all kinds of abuse.

Sounds pretty cool.  As a hardcore grinder, having a bunch of artifact items would be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Logging the number of users an item has had and scaling to that (So if there are 4 users of the tool you would need 40,000 uses) would be tricky (essentially you'd need a list of user id's attached to an item with the most recent at the top which could lead to quite large item entries).

If you wanted the count to reset each time there is a new user this would be a lot simpler, though that opens the route for a new kind of griefing (it also makes the lending out of tools less likely).

Something that might be a nice middle ground is that if someone else uses the tool there is a % chance (lower the higher the count) that they will become the new "owner" and the count resets.  It makes innocent mistakes a lot less likely to do some harm.

Logging the number of users an item has had and scaling to that (So if there are 4 users of the tool you would need 40,000 uses) would be tricky (essentially you'd need a list of user id's attached to an item with the most recent at the top which could lead to quite large item entries).

If you wanted the count to reset each time there is a new user this would be a lot simpler, though that opens the route for a new kind of griefing (it also makes the lending out of tools less likely).

Something that might be a nice middle ground is that if someone else uses the tool there is a % chance (lower the higher the count) that they will become the new "owner" and the count resets.  It makes innocent mistakes a lot less likely to do some harm.

Edited by Evilreaper

wait what? you think 10,000 actions with a tool is a lot? no that number would need to be significantly higher. Like heirloom status reached at 100K uses. Antique at 500K. Otherwise every single tool I own would be an antique already.

If they reach the unlikely use number of 50,000

Edited by Clatius

Heh, the numbers were just a guess really.  I know my sickle has harvested enough sprouts for 2 huge forests (and numerous hedges), guessing over 250k uses at least.

As an aside having the creator only as able to add to the counter might make bought tools a little less popular and damage the market.  I'd rather see some kind of ownership transfer system akin to

If you trade it ownership is transferred and the count reset (not if heirloom status has already been reached it is not lost, it just means it will take a lot longer to reach antique.  Again Antique status is not lost either).

If it is picked up and the owner has been inactive for x months then ownership is transferred (for those of us who like to loot, I would suggest 6 months since most deeds last longer anyway).

Otherwise ownership does not transfer (so if someone picks up a tool in a house and borrows it etc there is no loss to the player)

+1

I have a hatchet I bought when I first premiumed.  I didn't make it although it says I did now thanks to that bug a while back it would be awesome if it was heirloomed.

Also, lets not forget that the number is quite arbitrary... 3 minutes per action for a fishing rod. Pickaxe, I've heard of people doing a mining action in 3 seconds. 

So, instead of thinking of number of uses, why not think in terms of, the length of time in successful uses? So, a slow-skilling pickaxe would have similar chances of becoming a heirloom then that one that has become QL 95 with WoA 90 on it. Because seriously, basing something on the number of uses in this game is unfair in that, it doesn't even count the amount of time you used it. Some people would get 100 ticks in  a hour, while others would need a day to get 100 ticks. However, being based on time, would make it more 'accurate' to how much its been used. A high QL pickaxe doing 3 second actions, would require 3 actions to have the same 'heirloom level' as a lower QL one that needs 9 seconds for actions. The first antique level could be after 1209600 seconds of use, or something. (That's 14 days.  So someone using his pickaxe to mine all day, might take a month to do it.) but it still does keep it in range for others, it would take them longer however before their tool becomes a heirloom. 

Heirloom also should not count IMO as another type of Rarity Rating, but have an effect of its own. Esthetics maybe? Or shave another 0.1 second from use time (thus, making it more efficient?) If it becomes its own kind of rarity rating, then we would start seeing people getting a supreme pickaxe and turn it into a Relic, to have something just completely broken IMHO. 

So, we need ideas as to what this heirloom thing does! One thing I believe would be nice, is Soulbinding. 

Heirloom is soulbound, and loses say... 10 QL on Death, but you don't lose this tool that is most precious to you.
Antique would also be soulbound, and reduce the amount of quality lost upon death, and damage taken upon use. (10%?) 

A Relic, the last level, increases the soulbound to a point where that tool cannot be taken anymore from you. If you put it into a container, it can't be taken from the container except by the Creator. At this point, the strength of your soul has imbued your tool so strongly that nobody is able to grasp your tool anymore. It cannot be traded, shared, given, it can be left into a container to rot, it can be destroyed. It has a mind of its own, and will refuse anyone else from making use of it! 

Of course, those ideas are just drafts, so anyone's allowed to completely destroy them if they chose to!

i really like the soulbound idea and the item stays with you upon death, but i still like the # of uses just because it would be simpler to implement and maintain if it was based off # of uses by its creator and i dont see any need for 3 levels of badassery just heirloom (being lootable) and soulbound staying with you after death and untradeable sounds simple enough and worth implementing!

a new idea would be making it appear on ground like rares (shiney) just because it is not a common item nor easily obtained and yes i understand what your talking about with the unfairness of use counts and it would be harder with fishing poles and things but would only make those items worth more heirloomed because they are more difficult to create

edit: maybe offering a choice for the user once it has enough uses to be moved beyond heirloomed, allowing the user to choose a "relic" item being just a pumped version of heirloom that is still tradeable or a soulbound that is not tradeable and stays after death but offers the same boost as relic version

Edited by Evilreaper