Sign in to follow this  
Postes

A visualization of updates and who they benefit.

This is updates from December 2014.

t1hDcxr.png

Edited by Postes
  • Like 9

Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to put this information in such an easy to see forum.   :)

While you might not like the decorations that does not mean it was not a benefit for both servers. 

Edit:  So 3,4,14,19 and 20 should also be for both since it does effect the players that do like to decorate their pvp deeds. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 7

This is, of course, in your opinion.  Why do you class aesthetic items with Freedom only?  Just because you don't decorate your house doesn't mean other folk don't.

How can Valentine flowers benefit both but a marble planter or wall options not?

This is horribly bias.

• Like 10

This is, of course, in your opinion.  Why do you class aesthetic items with Freedom only?  Just because you don't decorate your house doesn't mean other folk don't.

How can Valentine flowers benefit both but a marble planter or wall options not?

This is horribly bias.

But decorating your house isnt benefiting PvPers, it's benefiting people who spend a lot of time in their houses, and care for the visuals of the game.  In the field of battle a marble planter won't help me.  A lot of these updates are purely aesthetics, they aren't benefiting PvPers at all, but you rarely see complaints from the PvP community in comparison to the amount of PvE ones.

In fact if you were to look over each individual update and argue aesthetics vs usability, there's a dominant bunch that's just purely aesthetics.  

Regardless if you argue one is Both or Freedom, you can't argue there's an overwhelmingly attention to PvP updates against aesthetics.  There's really been no major changes that benefit PvPers, just aesthetics.  Which is my point, there's really nothing unfair in how Wurm Online develops the game, it favors no one.

Also I play on both Freedom and Epic.

Edited by Postes

It does not benefit us either really and we all use them. I am certain there are loads of planters..etc on the pvp servers too. 

Anyway other then the bias in the post it seems pretty balanced to me. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

But decorating your house isnt benefiting PvPers, it's benefiting people who spend a lot of time in their houses, and care for the visuals of the game.  In the field of battle a marble planter won't help me.  A lot of these updates are purely aesthetics, they aren't benefiting PvPers at all, but you rarely see complaints from the PvP community in comparison to the amount of PvE ones.

So you're not really talking about benefiting PvP servers, more the PvP players.  I guess I'm on the same thought path as you now; just the headings on the table are misleading.

Although, just because one plays on a PvP server doesn't mean they're only allowed to PvP.

So what's the trick with the Valentines in PvP?  :rolleyes:

Edited by bwg

So you're not really talking about benefiting PvP servers, more the PvP players.  I guess I'm on the same thought path as you now; just the headings on the table are misleading.  Delivery of a message is very important to not being misunderstood.

ALthough, just because one plays on a PvP server doesn't mean they're only allowed to PvP.

So what's the trick with the Valentines in PvP?  :rolleyes:

I fixed that, it was merely an oversight.  

But again, it's not about PvP vs PvE, it's about showing a visual representation that really no one side is favored.  A lot of stuff can be considered both perhaps, but visual aesthetics aren't as important on PvP servers compared to PvE.

Edited by Postes

The changes are either 'both' or 'chaos/epic' from your options.  There's nothing that is freedom only really.

A more useful graph would be showing things that influence pvp versus those that don't.

• Like 1

You could argue though that the PVP specific stuff must have required far more dev hours than the purely decorative "Freedom" stuff.

Is this a competition? Are we winning?

Yay, go us.

But seriously, consider this:

Art and coding are done by different people on the dev team. All of the little decorative things that we are getting don't really take resources away from gameplay changes. If that's even your point; I'm not sure what you're trying to imply. Besides, it's laughable to compare marble planters to a new map.

• Like 1

Valentines are a vicious overpowered weapon.

• Like 3

The game has had 20 updates in your chart since December and all of them were meaningful to someone that plays Wurm so sounds like a good year so far.  If you want something added to PvP then make a suggestion but making charts about who is getting what seems like a waste of time since 100% of it effects the game as a whole. 

It's sort of neat that people are taking offense to this post, viewing it as some sort of competition.

By neat, I mean sad :/

Interesting info!

It's sort of neat that people are taking offense to this post, viewing it as some sort of competition.

By neat, I mean sad :/

Interesting info!

It's just food for thought, not much else.  

This shouldn't be about what benefits who as that depends on who it is no matter if you're on Epic or Freedom.

Instead, I recommend making the chart about who can use the items, beneficial to them or not. Otherwise, you're just making a biased chart.

It's interesting to see, but I want the facts more than the opinions as to who actually benefits.

Edited by Lotus1

Since all updates that the PvE servers get are applied to the pvp servers as well and the pvp servers get some updates exclusively that are not applied to the PvE servers, it is not too hard to figure out which play style gets updates that the other does not.

This can be noted time and time again just by reviewing the Website News section of the forums. Many times even the headers will note updates exclusively for pvp issues and concerns. The little colored chart in the OP conveniently overlooks this fact, as well as having somehow missed including all these numerous pvp updates and fixes.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

One month of updates is too insignificant an amount to draw statistical data from. Make it a year, but that's a lot of effort, plus you won't catch all the ninja updates omitted from the patch notes sadly.

• Like 3

Oh, a "PvP vs. PvE" thread. How refreshing, we've never had any of those before

• Like 8

One month of updates is too insignificant an amount to draw statistical data from. Make it a year, but that's a lot of effort, plus you won't catch all the ninja updates omitted from the patch notes sadly.

A month?  I put in the first post it's based from updates from December 2014 to now.

Last post update I saw for a longer time period; though, a "month" does bring up a good point about sample taking from limited time periods, let alone sample data taken from certain periods. Although iirc there's actually been far more pve-ish updates of significance over the last two years.

Other considerations might be weighting the impact of some changes over others. Granted that can be rather subjective, even more so when a change impacts particular players more than others. Say a small calculation tweak to the hit rate on mauls while swords stay the same. A big deal to maul-users, not so much to sword-users.

On the otherhand, getting new maps added is a pretty big deal. For me anyways.

PvE isn't liable to get many truly exclusive features, and it's not because of bias. It's just an inherent property of choosing PvE. Try to imagine a feature that would be completely useless on PvP servers, and thus are kept on Freedom only. Now try thinking of things that would be useless on Freedom but useful on Epic/Chaos. See how much the list grows? In other words, if you willfully opt out of PvP-related content, then you shouldn't be surprised when certain content doesn't benefit you. Those who have expressed openness to experiencing all of the game's content, on the other hand, experience all of the game's content. There's nothing oppressive about that.

Also, to say that "PvP gets decorations too" kind of misses the point, I think. Look at the suggestions forum over a long enough time period and you'll see that PvE players are overwhelmingly the ones who make threads about aesthetic stuff, while PvP suggestions are more often about functionality. So it's not necessarily about who gets access to the updates; it's about who the updates are intended to appease.

• Like 2